The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ralph just edited his first movie with the software recommended by Bianca.

It was just a 'free lunge session' at the end of the fall... nothing fancy.

O-Master is back!

Note; The music sort of happened to be on when Ralph watched the movie and he found that it fitted exellent ha ha !

Hope you enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:49 am 

What a nice video! The music sure fits Owen, it is very energetic and macho :D

I was wondering if you were using the Voest freestyle method to learn Owen this? Ofcourse what we see here is an AND version of freestyling :wink:
But how did you both learn it?

I find that Donanta does not like being there on the circel and reacts very irritated to the rope 'driving' her. But maybe that is just me having to much energy coming out of my bellybutton :( My guess is that I have to slow things way down and reward more like I do now with CT.

How do you see this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi Marleen and thank you!

I have not followed any courses from Emiel Voest so I do not know how he works actually but :) ...:

Years ago, I think 7, I was at a Horse Event in Holland and I saw Emiel Voest 'freestyle' a horse.
The thing I picked up there was (to my astonishement) how one can have the horse focus on certain moves of your body, just by holding a rope!

So, I hold the rope in my hands and then I make movements with my arms to indicate the rythm, tempo and direction.

But, I do not drive Owen with my rope!

How did I teach him... good question, I did not, Owen just likes to move and he likes to move close to me or around me, so it is very simple.
(allthough I have to say, when someone else tries it, Owen does not oblige...)

With horses like Donanta or Ino who do not like to move (on command or question) I would not swing a rope at them. Of course, you can try ones, but if it does not work, well, it will not work the second time.

So I suggest you play chase the tiger with Donanta, and I will do it with Ino :)(and have it filmed!)

And last, I like to have a rope in my hand, just in case. When horses spook or get agressive or to playful and your body is getting sort of in the way, you can use the rope to define your space to hang on to dear life so to speak ha ha !

I hope this will help you :)

Warm regards,

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Admin

There is this tiny piece were you see Owen really collect when he passes Jamie.
Owen fancying himself the hight of cool, you see it!

I wonder who of you picks that up (if you have time to watch this movie for there are soooo much more exciting movies here of course).

Ralph and I came to sort of a conclusion regarding collection.

I wonder what you think...

Click

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 pm 

Yes it helps, thanks!

I am also in favour of chasing the tiger. Although with Donanta it quickly turns into 'killing the tiger' :shock: I have a new videocamera and I filmed it. Maybe I will post the video here too, but I am not sure if I have the guts for it.

There is so much that goes wrong. All kind of misunderstandings between her and me, and she looked so surprised when I walked out of the paddock once, because she got to 'agressive' towards the tiger and almost hit me! I smacked her with the tiger on her chest, it was a instinctive reaction, now I sure regret that :(
I really know that I caused that myself by missing a thousand small signals and by poking up the fire to much...... but to show that to the world, I have to gain some serious courage for that :oops: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Please don't worry, Marleen. We all make a lot of mistakes and we know that, so no one will be angry with you. ;) I'd love to see your video!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm 

I will see what I can do, I have to find out how to get it on the internet first.

I guess taking the risc (feeling so ashamed) is worth it, when I can get good feedback from you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:29 pm 

you really have to post it, you know nobody will judge you, and indeed you learn so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

@ Marleen, just load it up to youtube. Don't worry!
You do not need to be perfect! I make so much mistakes all the time. We are only humans... we can not be as perfect as horses ;)

I think that this is 'your problem' you have such high expectations of yourself and what for? Just have fun with your horses! It is not like you earn a living by training them or loose something valuable when they do not piaffe in 1 year. ;)
Loosen up, have fun!

@ the other girls... well how about O-master first video clip? is he not a star? :) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Wheeehew! :lol:

He seems to have found his canter/trot again! He still seems to be a bit stiff in the hindlegs (especially when he runs to the left), but you can see that in his mind he is really relaxed and just enjoying the run. It must be wonderful to see again for you!

By the way, it's so funny when I look at his legs in trot: when you see a video of a driving car, sometimes the wheels seem to spin backwards because of the framerate of the movie. On my computer it's the same with Owen! I can see that he is moving forwards, but when looking at his legs they seem to actually be moving backwards. Very funny! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 pm 

Owen of course looks stunning. He is so well put together and he is a very good weight right now. I do not know enough to comment on how he is moving, other than to say he looks happy in himself and relaxed and ready for so much more!

I also like the music very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks ladies!! I'll tell hem all you said (he loves compliments, especially from ladies 8) )

And this was in september!
Now he is even more energetic and supple :)

I saw the backwards movement as well Miriam ha ha !
Strange... Owen is a magician... He sure cast a spell on me *Love*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the video from last Sunday (not yesterday).
A very tired and some what distraught Owen.
You can see his still filled feeding trug in the left corner.
Now and than he takes a bite of his lunch (that's when he's out of the picture on the left several times...

At some points he wants to do some other things instead of chase the tiger so I use the other side of the tiger as a whip...
But then he notices himself that he is to tired for gymnastics so we continue with the tiger.
One very short trot is all he could master..
But it made him feel better for sure!

The beauty of AND is that you can never harm your horse... afterall, he sets the rules :)

a sunday afternoon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I can't view the whole video now at work but the first minute looks great :D relaxed and peaceful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Same here, no video possible yet, but I can't wait to get home and see all the new videos!!! :D