The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

I was wondering if anybody had any good solutions for treating conjunctivitis? Both ponies have it now, and it is driving them and me mad! I was treating Spirit with 'Goldeneye', which has Chloramphenical in it, which we use for the donkeys and mules at work. Once the course of treatment was up, I bought her a fly mask and it seemed to be getting a bit better, only for one eye to get worse again! The mask is also useless as it seems to have 'collapsed', and now squashes her eyelashes, which must be really uncomfortable. The problem is that without the eye mask her eyes are set upon by flies :sad:

Now, because of the contagious nature of it, Skylark has the start of conjunctivitis too, and i'm scratching my head for a better method for dealing with it. It seems silly to call the vet out for something that I see so much at work, and I know that they will prescribe chloramphenical, which is exactly what i've used anyway. Does anyone have any more natural or homeopathic solutions? Did I read somewhere that turmeric is good for eye problems?

I also detest fly masks, but think i'm going to have to invest in better quality ones that allow better eyelash-clearance, as i'm 100% certain that the flies are the main cause of the problem. Poor Lark just keeps on burying her head in my arms and telling me how uncomfortable her eyes are.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

Can you redescribe the symptoms? On red eyeballs, purulent discharge and swollen eyelids you can give "graphites" or maybe "pulsatilla". On watery, red, swollen and burning eyes helps "euphrasia". Mere for conjunctivitis I could find 11 different symptom definitions, so that for the others it is difficult to say, that or that is the right one. But for being on the safe side I would call the vet. :smile:

Hope, your horses get better soon. :f:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm 

Very much like conjunctivitis in humans, they've got puffy slightly inflamed eyelids and weepy eyes. Their eyeballs are not red, but the actual eyelids which are swollen, watery, tender to touch, and in the worst case, Spirit's left eye has a lot of white/yellow sticky discharge. It seems to be really common here, as I know a neighboring Dartmoor pony colt who has the same problem, with a very inflamed lower eyelid and weepy eye.

I am sure that flies are making it worse, and have ordered better fly masks now, but i'll look into what you've suggested. I wonder if euphrasia will help...

Thank you :f:.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am 

The problem with the flies is that they seem to travel from horse to horse spreading it. I too have this problem from time to time and it seems to be worse with "white" horses and those that have droopy lids. The flies are attracted to the moisture.
So that said the cream you had seems to be the right one. I use here a standard human cream from the chemist. It is on script as there is a small percentage of people highly allergic so it needs to come from a doctor or vet to get it. The key is to continue to use the cream religiously for up to a week AFTER all symtoms are gone. The bacteria is very resistant and although it looks like the eyes are clear and healed there may be a little still remaining that just flares up again when you stop the cream which seems to be what happened to you? As for fly masks, I have tried so many and ended up using the "string" type that just hang over the eyes. This doesn't seem to bother the horses as much and keeps the flies out of the eyes. Of course the answer is to decrease the flies. (pick up poo, keep horses away from smelly areas, get chickens if possible etc).
Failing that, when the weather breaks and you know there are lots of flies, get the mask on during the day BEFORE it starts.
You can also try supplementing the feed with garlic or DE or kelp for immune.
Good luck, I know this can be a nightmare to treat and contain, so keep those eyes clean (fresh water and wiping gunk away), covered (fly fringe) and treated (cream) if needed.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am 

Thanks Morgan! I will keep on using the Chloramphenical cream for Spirit, and I have now got a homeopathic treatment called 'Euphrasia', which I will follow my treatment up with afterwards. As well as the drops, I have euphrasia tablets for them both to start taking. Skylark only has slight symptoms, so I hope I can prevent it from getting worse. The nearby pony who also has conjunctivitis doesn't seem to be getting much better - am I just going to keep on having this problem if the flies are carrying it from him to the girls? I hope not!
I have two huge masks at the moment that seem to allow lots of eyelash-clearance (the last one I only bought for spirit to wear as she has it worse, and the mask began squashing her eyelashes). I really don't like the masks though, and although they seem to be doing a good job at the moment, I think i'll take your advice and get some fringes next time.
What is DE? I have also read that linseed is very good, which I may add to their current supplement...

Again, thank you very much. The flies are driving me mad, let alone the ponies!