The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Cordeo ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:18 am 

Hey all! So I'm just up at 1:15 am, thinking about cordeos, like every other teenager :funny: And I got thinking, could we do a gallery of all our cordeos? Like maybe for inspiration or something. I know myself that I plan on making a good 5 or so just cuz they're so cool and there are so many different ways to design and style them and make them your own! And I used to have a folder of all the cordeos I have ever seen pictures of for future inspiration to make my own, one of them was a rawhide cordeo! It was so cool! However, in the switch from computers I seem to have lost them. Just wanted to throw the idea out there, I could get started with my weird cordeo too xD Hoping we get some unique pics :D

Post subject: Re: Cordeo ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am 

Yeah, I had that plan too for a while actually :thumright: It got filed under "cool projects to do when I find the time" :funny:

But while we're at it: what do you do to prevent a cordeo from slipping to the ears when the horse bends down? Tie it to the mane, or is there a better way for it? That's actually the main reason, why I don't use cordeos right now...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Admin

We have some old cordeo threads, if you need some ideas:

Rhythm beads as cordeo
My homemade cordeo
What type of cordeo?
Strange use of cordeo...
Cordeo Arabian style
Making your own leather cordeo
Baroque cordeo
Macrame cordeos

Unfortunately, the picture links do not work anymore in many of them, but perhaps you will get some inspiration from reading already. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 pm 

Thanks Romy! Actually, I did go through all of those threads, plus other ones. I was just thinking a gallery of every cordeo ever seen would be cool to have. And I am also wanting pictures and you are right, most of those links don't work anymore, and that's why I though of this! Also, all of those are old, perhaps there are fresh ideas too? And Volker, as for that, I know rhythm beads have a little clip to put some mane in to keep them in place, maybe that could work? For instance if I were to do that, I would probably use a hair clip that I use for when I dye my hair,and just attach it to the cordeo and some locks of mane. Just a thought! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Nikita wrote:
I was just thinking a gallery of every cordeo ever seen would be cool to have.

Yes, of course we can do that, right here in this topic if you want to. I only cannot contribute because I have no cordeos. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:24 am 

Well this is my cordeo - Its one of the reins from our old crossunder bitless bridles buckled to itself:

What I used at first (but was a bit heavy). Its just a plaited type leadrope clipped to itself:

For a shorter one we also used a neckstrap from a running martingale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 am 

Nice Marina! Yeah, I have a couple pairs of reins that I want to turn into a cordeo too, just haven't quite gotten around to that yet... I don't have any pictures of my cordeo, but it's in the first few seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQGLKhCJnQ It's just a pair of 'clip on' reins with on of the buckles removed and attached to itself with the other buckle :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm 

I'm thinking about cordeos finally! It doesn't quite feel like the right time for Skylark as so much is going on for her at the moment, but I think Spirit and I can soon start exploring the world of cordeo work... The only thing is that she has a welted scar down the left hand side of her neck all the way to her shoulder. Apparently she had this when her previous owners got her, and it looks like an accident with barbed wire to me. Anyway, she seems a little tender on it. What is the softest cordeo material people have used? On ebay i've seen some 'bondage rope' :ieks:, that actually looks like the softest rope i've found... I just wondered if any of you have used anything similar or better?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:56 pm 

SunLily wrote:
On ebay i've seen some 'bondage rope' :ieks:, that actually looks like the softest rope i've found... I just wondered if any of you have used anything similar or better?
Well, I have researched a lot regarding ropes, so I had my share of references to bondage ropes :roll:. As I understand it, they are just hemp ropes, which have been boiled and washed several times. And I think there is also some oil which can be used to make the rope even more smooth.
I am using hemp ropes for neck ropes and cordeos and they become reasonably smooth after a while through normal use. You can also run the rope over a piece of metal several times, like a door handle for example.

The softest ropes that I know of though, are cotton ropes. You might want to have a look at those. For my taste they are too light and will stretch a lot under use, but they make nice soft reins for example...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:11 am 

Thanks Volker! I really love your hemp ropes! I may look into something like that as a lead/lunging rope... I happened to find a dog lead yesterday that turns out to be absolutely perfect! Well, it's definitely the right fit, so I guess time will tell whether it is really up for the job... But I don't have a long rope yet, just the cordeo bit. Thanks for all your information, I think with the other pictures in this thread I have plenty of inspiration. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am 

You may also want to take a look at this thread for inspiration - if you haven't found it already:
My homemade cordeo

Post subject: Cordeos
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:32 am 

Being new to the forum i was reading any older threads of interest and came across some on Cordeos...
I especially enjoyed seeing pics of home made cordeos.
I have been playing with cordeos for a few years and have made a few for friends.
I separated the cordeos into 2 types ..riding and training.
The riding cordeo is made with 6 or 8mm marine double braid and has a sliding ring knot so the cordeo sits comfortable around the horse but extends to a rein length for riding.
The Training/groundwork cordeo is 10mm with s brass ring for attachment of a 10mm lead rope.
pics below
I would love to see any newer pics of your cordeo creations.
cheers