Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Reflections on Equestrian Art.

Oh, great, give her my best!
Please say hi from Josepha from Belgium, (when you say Chocolade, she probably will know it's me :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 am 

You can download for free the "Classical Training of the Art of Training Horses" by Nuno Oliveira:
http://horsesforlife.com/*NunoBook:FreeDownload
you only have to register :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:16 pm 

Ania, I've run out of time today to go use Randy's computer to access this, so I will have to wait until Monday...but THANK YOU for posting it! It looks realy interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm 

And now you can download another part of Oliveira's words :)
I'm really beginning to like this magazine! Actually it's first equestrian magazine that I'm interested in, since I started with NHE and then AND :lol:
Besides, in this month's issue you can read (and comment!) a debate between Philippe Karl and Christoph Hess.
Although I don't have too much in common with any of these two, I definetely vote for Philippe Karl! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:48 pm 

This has all been very interesting for me to read through. I know so little about dressage, so it is interesting to read through peoples comments about the video's, I have to say, it's not difficult when watching alot of dressage to see that the horse is so obviously unhappy, and overbent, I see this an awful lot when watching dressage competitions here on TV, sometimes it's just horrible to watch.

I'm reading a book by Gerd Heuschmann, called 'Tug Of War; Classical Versus "Modern" Dressage. It's a brilliant book and I am learning so much about the horses anatomy and the negative affects of todays style of teaching dressage has on the horse. He speaks of the fact that as dressage has become more and more commercial, a new type of fast teaching for the horse has taken the place of the classical way. Today, so many horses are being bred for the dressage market, and they need to be trained quickly so that they can be pushed into the competion world as fast as possible to make large money wins.
He is trying very hard to open peoples eyes to this huge problem where mechanical aids are replacing the classical time proven methods. This new type of 'hand dominated' riding is being adopted in more and more countries who know little of the classical way, and the poor horses are becoming just economic assets moulded for a marketing purpose.

It's a wondeful book and I highly recommend it. I wish I had the nerve to get one for a lady up the road from me who runs her own dressage yard, she also advertises to help people with problem horses, well they're no longer a problem to anyone when she's straped them up!!!! The sad thing is she has alot of clients around here, she's a very hard women, bless the horses who find themselves at her yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:51 am 

Ania wrote:
I'm really beginning to like this magazine! Actually it's first equestrian magazine that I'm interested in, since I started with NHE and then AND :lol:
Besides, in this month's issue you can read (and comment!) a debate between Philippe Karl and Christoph Hess.
Although I don't have too much in common with any of these two, I definetely vote for Philippe Karl! :D

yes i agree with you a very nice magazine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm 

Hello I am from Portugal and would like to ask if anyone has the book Ania posted the link to? The link is not available anymore, and I would love to have it. Could someone email it to me? If so please send me a PM.

Regards

Nuno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Nuno! :)

I did not have the PDF, but fortunately I knew someone who had written about it back then in another forum and he just sent me the link:

http://horsesforlife.com/images/stories ... ciples.pdf

I have downloaded it now, so just in case someone will need it later and this link won't work anymore, I can always send it as an email attachment. :smile:

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 pm 

Romy thank you a lot. This book is a masterpiece from what I've been told. I'm really excited to read it finally. Thanks for sharing.

Ania wrote:

BTW and since we are at it. Anyone knows/has these too? I have no idea what they are, but the words of the Master are always something to look forward to read :)

I suspect it to be the "From An Old Master Trainer to Young Trainers - Classical Pinciples of the Art of Training Horses, Volume II" I know the Mag had this book also available for download at some point in July 2008. But i have not been able to find it yet... So I'm still looking for it. Anyone?

Regards

Nuno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 pm 

Thnx for the reading material!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm 

Padrao wrote:
BTW and since we are at it. Anyone knows/has these too? I have no idea what they are, but the words of the Master are always something to look forward to read
Are you looking for the mentioned debate, or just some books of the two trainers?

The horse owes us nothing.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

I think he meant this part of the quote ;)

Ania wrote:

Nuno, unfortunately I have no idea what it is. But maybe you could PM Ania so that she can send it to you if she has downloaded it?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

Romy wrote:
I think he meant this part of the quote ;)

Ania wrote:

Nuno, unfortunately I have no idea what it is. But maybe you could PM Ania so that she can send it to you if she has downloaded it?

Exactly but I have managed to find someone to email it to me.

For those who read this forum I'd like to leave a small quote from a Portuguese Master.

"Now that I was starting to learn something about horses, my doctor tells me I'm too old and need to stop horse riding."

For all of those who think they know better, and insist in criticizing Masters like Nuno Oliveira that gave so much to the world in terms of Equestrian legacy, think about the sentence above. Maybe in a few years, maybe a decade latter, his words, and the way some horses were ridden by him will make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well, fortunately this forum isn't about criticizing anyone, regardless of whether he is considered as a master by some people or others, or not at all. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 pm 

Romy wrote:
Well, fortunately this forum isn't about criticizing anyone, regardless of whether he is considered as a master by some people or others, or not at all. ;)

Well Romy to tell the truth I didn't thought anyone had an intention to badmouth anyone, critics or analyzing something and criticizing it, goes both ways. It can be a positive critic in the end, I had to share that quote because it has marked me in this unique world that is the Equestrian. More and more somethings start to make sense when long ago maybe they were obviously non-sense to me, which as time passes I came to realize it was me the one who was not prepared to see beyond, and this happens to many folks. It was nothing but food for thought if we can say it that way.
I have been impressed with some threads I have seen in this forum. So keep up the good work ;) and sorry for hijacking the forum. So back to the topic!!