The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm 

I am preparing Henkie for driving.
And work now with long lines so he will understand the signals for walk, trot, halt and ofcourse left and right.
This video was our first day with the long lines.

He realy did not understand the meaning of it. So it was a lot of dancing in a circle. ;)
i try many different cues to look which one was for him the best.
i dont work to long at least 10 minits each time, so he kept focussed i made the film a bit shorter so you wont fall a sleep ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/bitloosrijden#p/u/1/Sj0gs4BEiLw

Also made a film of today, this was his third time with the long lines. And made big progress.
He understand now what the meaning is of long lines and that "his human" walks behind him and give signals.
Even a bit stering to the left and right (zigzag between the poles) It was not perfect but i am very happy with the result :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bitloosrijden#p/u/0/kV4XWR7Li-o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:13 pm 

Nice job, that is such a cute pony and he looks like he is really starting to get it by the end of the video. :) I used to do a lot of long lining as groundwork to start youngsters and it's a very useful skill to teach. How do you typically start teaching them to long rein? I would love to hear the AND way. :smile: Previously, I was taught to do it with a handler leading the horse as you give cues from behind, and then slowly have the horse follow the handler from a distance, until they can associate the cues given by the following person with know the leading cues they already know. Then it's just a process of weaning the horse away from having to be led from a distance. I definately want to do some long reining with my lease gelding at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:34 am 

What you wrote is a possability too.
but i am working almost all the time alone. So for me is that no option. As you could see in the movie, i walk or go along with the pony. Eacht time he turns to me i keep staying behind him. After a while he understand that turning is no option. When he know that, he get a reward. That was for me the first challange. Then the next was walking straight ahead, i did not care were to pony was walking to as long he goes forward. When i ask for a halt and he give the right reaction he got a reward. Then ask walking again the same as above. When he understand that i could try if i could stear. So i break each "simple" exercise in a lot of tiny parts which is easy for a pony or horse to understand.

But before i did the long reins, i had done a lot of walking next to the pony and use the voice signals for each movement. And make it more clear by bodylanguage. I use also some part of the Waterhole Ritual of Carolyn Rensick. It called leading from behind.
The pony is then still free no halter or what ever. So during all those "games" he learn a lot.
At the end he had to make links between the different games we had played.
Horses are good in that and make it quite easy.
Most people dont do it this way because it cost a lot of time. And they dont wanted to spent all those ours with in their eyes "doing nothing" but i know that it is very usefull for the future.

The AND way for me in this part. Is cut exercises in small parts and let the horse free to figure out how it works, no matter what time it costs. Later on when we are realy driving there is no AND way, the horse have to listen no matter what.
But if you do all the work before there would no discussion anymore because the horse undestand you, trust you, so you have a good companionship.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:08 am 

Sorry, I totally didn't see your response until now! :blush: I'm still figuring out how the forum works... I think breaking down into little pieces and rewarding each one of those is what I didn't know when I was training back then. I was always getting so frustrated with the little "progress" I was making, but I'm learning to be less demanding these days, and be happy with those little pieces. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your driving with Henkie progress!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:08 am 

Hi Kala,

It is now a time of rest. i have to wait for the new harness. Because the mini's are so mini that the most stores dont have it in stock. So it is waiting now when it will arrive and IF it will fit the pony's.
I hope this will be half way this month. i hope that we have some sow then. So i can use the sled to train furter.
He have to learn how to pull. This is very confusing for a horse. You have just learned them to go away as soon they feel some pressure. Now they have to do it otherwise.
A carriage give pressure because of his weight. So he have to learn when to pull and when not.
So that will take some time also.

Quote:
I'm still figuring out how the forum works...
and that make it not easy when they have changed their preformence :D i have to search now too :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:16 pm 

Well, I hope the harnesses fit! I've never gone so far as to train a horse to actually pull anything, but I'm sure you'll do wonderful when it gets to that point. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 pm 

How great Inge!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

And I just love to watch other people working little ponies - and your is even smaller than my shetties!! :funny: :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

he is about 80 cm :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:36 pm 

We have made some progress. I had to wait for a few months before my new equipment arrived.
The first steps before pulling a carriage....
What do you do when it is snowing? Yes...use a sled...so i did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cqlT4z1Fj8&list=UUSDkQ23ejPQiYgXm-gn1oUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

unfortunately the battary stopped due to the cold weather. But i could make a small film.
This summer he will be in front of a sulky. he is doing great :love: