The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:07 pm 

I have looked everywhere on this site and cannot find any info on how to ask a horse to stop and walk using a cordeo.

I believe Magik and I are ready to ride without a hackamore. I really don't ask much of him. I just sit on his back and he walks from one pile of hay to another. However, at one point, I would love to ask him to walk but I just hate the hackamore. I don't like any kind of halter around his head. Since he is such a good boy, I would love to lead him with his body instead of his head.

So to start, I would love to teach him the correct way to stop and walk using a cordeo.
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks in advance
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

The same way you would with reins, use your seat by stopping the movement in your body, take the cordeo towards you and maybe say halt, then reward.
You'll notice he'll probably react better then with reins :)

You can also first walk next to him hold the cordeo losely, take it up, stand still and say halt, then reward :)

If any more questions, just ask! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 pm 

thanks Josepha (that was quick :) , my other question: how do I ask him to walk. Do I have to use pressure with the legs or can I teach him only with the word "walk" or do I use my seat to show him. Once, I used my seat a little too much. I guess I was squeezing my butt too much and I had the bareback pad. He probably felt my seatbones and reacted quite fast. He stopped when I grabbed his neck but I would rather not use my seat to make him walk (or maybe I was just not doing it correctly).

Quote:
use your seat by stopping the movement in your body

I do have a "stupid" question: when you say use your seat, do you mean stop my hip movement?

P.S. just wanted to tell you that the lateral flexions and ramener are going great with Magik. He does them very calmly and seems to be doing them correctly (can't find anyone to video this :sad: ) What new exercise would you suggest I teach Magik in addition to the others? I also do leg stretches (front and back). He does those calmly too. Once in awhile he will stretch one of his back legs completely (like a dog would when stretching - so cute).
Thanks Josepha for your help with this. I greatly appreciate.
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

The seat for forward, halt, transitions and back is the basic for all the rest later. Trust me ;)
If you've squeesed your buttocks to hard, just squeeze less. Start very carefully and stop there where he reacts and reward.

As a matter of fact, always keep checking if you can make your aid lighter still. This is a constant and ever lasting key to Lightness and Riding Art.

When going to walk or any other upwards transition, open the front of your body and sit straight, (many sit with the upperbody forward, which is the que for halt or backing), let your legs hang loose and long, use the click of your tongue too.

Maybe show me a vid and I can help if it does not work out?

Then for transition back, yes, stop moving your hips and tend with your upperbody a little forward. You then get heavy to carry for your horse and his instinct will be to slow down, and you reward :)

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 pm 

Quote:
When going to walk or any other upwards transition, open the front of your body and sit straight, (many sit with the upperbody forward, which is the que for halt or backing),

I was just thinking about this.
When a horse is at a halt and starts walking, does he start with his hind legs or his front legs? I'm not an expert at all but I know this will tell me where I should put my weight.
I used to do Parelli and I believe the weight was on the front legs when asking for a walk and was on the rear when asking for a whoa.
Is this right or is it the other way around?

Please help???
Thanks
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am 
Site Admin

It depends. When straight, the horse will first start with his hind (if the back is carrying correct), when asking a slight turn around the forehand circle, you must ask the shoulders to start first, or else the horse will fall on to them and the exercise is lost. When turn around the quarters, you must ask the hind to start but only allow movement from the shoulders sideways and so forth.
So it all depends. The whole point is, to make sure a horse will stay healthy under a rider, he must be able to use forehand and hind quarters independly from each other. But that will all come later, now you want your horse to start moving from the hind, as that means he is using his nuchal ligament and his longissimus dorsi is free to produce correct movement right from the start.

So, when you want to go forward, lean slightly (!) back and open the front of your body, when wanting to halt, lean slightly to the front, when wanting to go backwards, lean a little more to the front and take your legs back a little.
It is not my invention, nor of any master, it is the natural reaction of any horse who has the choice of reacting. They all react as such I have witnessed for over 20 years. :)

Concerning Parelli, I can not tell you anything, I have never seen anything from it that made me want to study it... sorry... :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thank you so much Josepha. I will start with this. I know now that I'm on the right track.
I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Admin

great! :)