The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Beau and I in action
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 am 

my first video, now I can see all my mistakes, and there are a lot! Don't expect anything grand ;)
it was raining, but my boyfriend came along with the camera and I thought, I have to film something (wrong start) and the pasture was wet.
At first, the cameraman was more interesting, then my cameraman had no idea what to film :) so it's rather funny...
I can see myself trying to capture Beaus attention, I know I should not do it, but I did, and now I see how idiotic it looked. I can see him watching me with one eye.

I also have a few questions for people who see my film:
- at 2.25 there is a moment that Beau suddenly comes after me, ears back, jumping after me, I don't know if you guys can see it, and then he stops again, is he annoyed than? or did he want to play but am I too slow in the mud?
-Brutus is also in the pasture, he is the leader of the herd, when I take Beau into an other pasture, then he spends more attention, should I then always take him with me?

I'm going to try to film more and than better too, so you can see an exercise, this was just an idea of me playing when I am not really prepared to do it, as I mostly am, should I be more prepared???

I am content with what he did, he did a bit flexion at the poll, yielded, went backwards and a bit sideways, I do like seeing myself, I will learn much more this way!

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32 ... V00071.flv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 pm 

playing 9/12/2007...
part 1:

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32 ... V00073.flv

part 2:

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32 ... V00074.flv

part 3:

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32 ... V00075.flv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 pm 

Hi Barbara! I finally got to see the video (have to wait until I'm at work for a high speed connection). GOOD FOR YOU for sharing the videos!

Quote:
I can see myself trying to capture Beaus attention, I know I should not do it, but I did, and now I see how idiotic it looked.

You didn't look idiotic! And yes :D You can see Beau watching you while he's eating grass...ha ha. I can see he really made you work hard to get him to play...the video with all the other horses running around...he REALLY made you work for that one, but he did, finally take his mind (most of it anyway) off the other horses and pay attention to you. You did really good! I thought you were very patient.

Quote:
- at 2.25 there is a moment that Beau suddenly comes after me, ears back, jumping after me, I don't know if you guys can see it, and then he stops again, is he annoyed than? or did he want to play but am I too slow in the mud?

If I was seeing the right spot, my interpretation is that you were inviting him to run after you, and he finally did. His posture and intent was very similar to when he's chasing the tiger...so I think he was intently playing.

If you are a little quicker to reward (stop and let him catch up with you) when he runs to catch up to you, he might do it more often. But at the point he gave the most effort to catch you, you kept trying to get away so he quit trying and walked again.

Also the same with the Tiger...be careful not to raise it higher than he can reach...he gave up when he couldn't touch it. Wait a very, very long time, after the behavior is very well established before you try that again. I think you and I have the same idea...if I hold it high enough, will he rear up to touch it? Well, for now, for Tamarack and apparently for Beau too, that is not going to happen. So only try it once in a while when you have his whole attention and when he is really eager for the game.

Also when he is really distracted...make an easier game. When the other horses were running, he kept coming back to you...that is good, but he wasn't really keen on splitting his attention three ways...you, the other horses, AND the tiger...so if he'll be with you, then just do some simple "touch the tiger" movements where he doesn't have to move his feet...just reach his neck. Then when you feel him relax and he is MORE with you mentally, then ask him to move his feet, and if he's ok with that, well, THEN run away! But always look to see if he's mentally with you or not.

I know how hard it can be to get a horse to think of you as your herd, and to be ok and settled with that idea. It took me a very long time for Cisco to be with me, and not constantly looking at the gate and listening to noises outside. He will still, on occasions, be very concerned about what is going on outside, but he's not quite as bad as he used to be. Again, that is the time for very simple, very rewarding things. A good time for setting up something you can click and reward in rapid succession if he enjoys that. But make it something so simple that he doesn't have to think too hard about it (like stand in one place and touch his nose to the tiger).

I like the way you keep those eyes in the back of your head wide open when he's running up behind you. And I see that he will throw he front feet at the tiger and not at you...that is a GOOD thing. I thought you did not look silly or idotic at all...you did a very good job of trying to entice him into play without directing energy AT him. You did good!!!

And his obeisance is very pretty - he is trying really hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:49 pm 

thank you for responding, I will try to make things easier for Beau, not run too long and try to keep him mentally involved, it's still difficult for me to see everything in the right way, but I'll definitely try to improve myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

you really challenge yourself!
Grass, an other herd pall to play with... but you pull it off!
You expect nothing and receive a lot!

That to me is 100% pure AND :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:30 pm 

wow thank you :oops: you make me blush. I really don't have the easiest environment, I did not think about it, because I am used to it :) I just have a fantastic pony :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:58 pm 

new video's I talked about in my diary

part 1: Image

part 2:

part 3:

part 4:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

I only managed now to see the first one but it looks nice how you get the attention eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:00 pm 

Beau is really a very sweet horse to work with, he does have his own idea's and you can't really force him without him looking really mad at you, but he will try to please me. This is a huge difference, he used to not like being with me and he was really pushy and did not want to look out for you or do anything for you. Then starting parelli he got even worse, but when I started being interesting he changed, he changed back when I started to be to bossy and now he thinks I'm great, but if food doesn't come soon enough or if I don't go to him soon enough he starts yelling really hard that I have to come over there now and do something, after all thats what I'm here for! :) He's great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:23 pm 

Beau trying his new exercises
Beau playing with his ball

2 new films, I put them in my diary too, but I'm just so proud of my first remixed films (with music that isn't fit yet, but I'll learn), I had to show them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:41 am 

I love your videos. Beau is so playful. I could not stop smiling when he was kicking at the big pink ball. Did he want to kill the pink panther :lol:

Post subject: riding Beau
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:58 pm 

I made a short film about me riding with the cheyenne, it felt good. I wasn't concentrated on Beau and everything went better then ever... I have to focus less on him on his back as well as on the ground

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Looking better already, even some yielding wow!

You always have to keep the focus on yourself, never on your horse.
Horses take focus away as reward. When the Alpha focus on you, that ussually means that you are doing something the alpha does not agree with...

The focus has to be with your surroundings so your horse does not have to spook and on your own body, not interfering with the horses movement and when you ask him, you mak sure when you ask something, you have created the situation thus, that your horse is able to oblige.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 am 

I of course disagree some with that statement Josepha :wink:

For me, the inportant thing with riding - or any work - with the horse IS to "focus" on it. You have to be consentrated, to FEEL the horse.... To feel every move, every attempt of doing the right and then reward...

Big difference is if you train with negative reinforcement - then waht Josepha saies is very true. Focus off is then a reward. When training with positive reinforcement - then it is not always true. Only if you learn the horse focus/pressure menas move away and reward. If you ONLY positive reinforce - then your focus off will be a punishement :shock: Negative punishement - taking away the horses opportunity to get his reward....

But I am sure this is not what Josepha meant :wink:

And it IS important to be aware of your own body, and in periods it may also be important to pay attention to that ONLY... But also pay some attention to your horses reactions to your body...

I think you are sitting very well in the barefoot-saddle....! I have been sooooo wanting a new saddle after reading and watching all your saddle-trying.... :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

to me 'focus' and rewarding are totally different things.

When I need to do a task, and someone is standing next to me, viewing my every move like an eagle to see how I am doing... no, not a good thing for me.

I mean 'focus' in a predator sort of way.
Eye-ing someone out...
That very same focus horses use to send each other away, is the same focus a lot if riders use on their horse when riding.
Constantly watching every move like a hawk.

that is different then enjoying some ones company or loving someones every move.
That to me is being, working and playing together, not focussing on someone.

You see, how words mean different to every one?

:lol: