The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:38 am 

Finally uploaded some videos to YouTube!

Here is one I mentioned in Billy's diary a while ago when he first started kicking the ball. As I said in the video comments, now he nudges it a lot more with his nose and has got the hang of moving it around for a while between treats. Will try and get a new one soon some time (with my new video camera!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73rb-h_p1sk

And this is one from much earlier last year in a much smaller paddock that he used to live in. This is him giving me some "feedback" one day letting me know that he was not so happy about what I was asking. He is very rarely this "lively", but it was lovely to see him expressing himself, even if he did go a bit over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhxEc7aSfk

And hopefully soon I will post some of our horse agility ones too.

Hope I put the videos in correctly!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:13 am 

This is our June horse agility entry
Haltered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MyJUzar2k&sns=em

Liberty, we didn't do so well. Billy wasn't to interested for the most part but we made it through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcc6d5P0lZ8&sns=em

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:57 am 

Nice OLHA video, Jessie! I thought you DID do well in the liberty video :thumleft:. My impression was that at liberty Billy shows some nice initiative, he checks the poles, checks the hula hoop and even played with it a bit. At the halter he looks more confident, but seems to rely totally on you. When you reach the hula hoop, he wants to take his nose down to examine it, but immediately takes it up again to follow your lead. I liked it a lot how he checked it out at liberty.
That´s just my observations from first glance of course - I haven´t seen any other videos of you two.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:11 pm 

Thanks Volker,
You gave me a lot to think about, and a whole new perspective on it all. I do like how he checks things out more at liberty, he shows more initiative, and I am always frustrated at how dependent he is on me with a halter on. He changes into "slave" Billy rather than partner Billy. I had felt that he wasn't giving me enough attention at liberty (in that video), but really he DID stick with me and do what I asked, he just showed his own leadership skills :smile:

And liberty work really is my passion. I love it. I love the feedback he gives and the personality that he shows. Halter work bores us both a bit, whereas liberty work keeps us on our feet and pushes us to keep the connection. And maintaining a connection by both give and take. Asking a bit from each other and giving a bit to each other as well. And I enjoyed making the liberty OLHA video much more than the halter one.

I hope I can put some more videos of Billy and I up soon :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:03 pm 

i dont know if i may share some ideas??

i have watched your video's they look nice to me. Very friendly and sweet. So nothing wrong. What Volker wrote is right.
i completly agree with that.

When i look to you body language you can work a bit on that if you wish to get more out of the at "liberty time".
For example in the first agility movie around 0.34 and 0.49 you ask the horse to go backwards. That's fine to do between some poles to give a horse a reason to go backwards. As you look to you body language it could be more clearer for your horse.
You standing a bit forwards with your uperbody and ask him to go backwards.

When you take a look at the 2e video you aks the horse to come to you and you have a similar body language, leaning forwards with your uperbody. That makes it a bit more difficult for your horse to understand what you wanted. (see 1.49)

So if you make for yourself some choices which bodylanguage fit the best by some obstackle it will go more easy.
For example stand more upright and think forwards when you aks your horse to go backwards.
Then your shoulders and uperbody become more straight and blocked the horse beter so he understand that he have to go backwards
Look at a herd when one horse ask an other horse to leave. Maybe that will help you a bit to make your own bodylanguage more clear to the horse.

But you are doing fine :yes: there are only some tiny isues which maybe not worked out in details yet, but you will manage it. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm 

Thank you inge, I appreciate your comments and ideas.
I have adapted most of my body language from my instructor, but also probably a lot that just came naturally to me (but from a human perspective, not necessarily a horse perspective). It is probably about time to play with some of these things a bit and experiment with what might work better for Billy and I. You have given me some new ideas to try. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:59 pm 

Sometimes it is a big eye-opener when you film yourself then you see (i do) some details of yourself and how the horses react on that.
Then you can learn a lot, sometimes more then from an instructor. Because if you learn from them you wanted sometimes to copy him or her and then you are not yourself anymore. It is good to have lessons to give ideas and support but then it have to work with your body and mind. And those are always unique and the best for you.

You may make more of those films i loved it, you and your horse are very sweet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 am 

Our first chase the tiger video. He is getting much more enthusiastic about it!
http://youtu.be/Rz3xPF01RpE

We were both a tiny bit distracted at times, I think it was a consequence of being videoed! But it was a lot of fun still :)

From looking now, I think I need to be a bit more aware of where I put the tiger when asking him to flex around as he gets a bit grabby and tilts his head a lot, which I don't imagine is ideal for future flexions where I will want him to keep his head straighter. If I put the tiger somewhere easier to reach he might not grab at it so much there, but not sure.

It is so exciting to be able to start to put a bit more energy into everything we do, and to have Billy willing to put that energy in. Spring arrived here yesterday so that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 am 

Very nice tiger video! :thumright:
Funny I also did some CtT the other day after a long while and it was very interesting to watch Mucki´s reaction. I think Billy is doing lovely and personally I would not worry too much about flexion or head position for now.
I clearly separate the CtT sessions from flexion/bending/stepping under exercises. Not that I mean to separate play from work, but in my experience with Mucki I found that CtT is very exciting and Mucki acts very instinctively. It´s a fighting game after all :rambo:. I use it mainly to invoke playfulness in Mucki and spontaneous reactions, which are not so easy for him as it seems.
But I assume it all depends on what you want the game to be. If I remember correctly, some members here have used it successfully for longeing and to exercise a low head position.

Anyway - Billy is getting enthusiastic and that is nice to behold :cheers:!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:15 pm 

Another chase the tiger video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYMHsi6we0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Very enthusiastic now! The video didn't capture some of his "pouncing" though. Can't wait to get that on video!
Oh and sorry the audio finishes before the video does haha.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 pm 

Couldn´t watch the video :sad:. It´s set to private...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:39 pm 

Ooops! My mistake, forgot to change it!

Have changed it to public now, and the link is http://youtu.be/CQYMHsi6we0

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Oh, what a new Billy - and what a new Jessie. So cool! :clap: :f:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 am 

Thanks Romy! Yes I think we are both learning more about freedom and becoming less restrained :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm 

I love the enthusiasm too. What magic! Very nice!