The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Nice To Meet All Of You!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:01 pm 

Hello.

I started reading here recently after a search for how to teach horses "tricks". My gelding (whom I have had since 6 months of age) was becoming very frustrated with training, even though I was changing things around a lot. The most recent trainer working with me took the cake when my sweet, lazy, non-bucking 4-year-old jumped straight in the air and spun around when she rode. We went from riding and playing with at least a little fun to work sour within 3 months.
It dawned on me a couple weeks back one night while watching him we needed to learn to play together somehow again. Then this forum popped up. In just a matter of 3 short sessions he has come back to playing with me (and even his least favorite of my friends :D)

My mare is also responding with tremendous boldness. She is a 9-year-old mustang mare who I just began gentling in September of last year. I knew she was the one for me, but we have encountered so many challenges it was discouraging at times. She has many quirks inside her wise mind, but she has always been rather timid and slow. Seeing her perk up and use her mind is encouraging, uplifting, and hilarious sometimes to boot.

I look forward to all we will learn here. I will have to grab current pictures of my constantly growing boy and my little mustang tonight. But for now, here they are...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! :)

So great that your horse is interested in playing again. And your mare (if that's her in the second picture) looks so amazing - wow, what a horse! Must be quite a personality.

I hope you will enjoy the forum, post many pictures and tell us lots of stories about your activities with your horses. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm 

What beauties. No wonder you so care for them. Isn't it wonderful to explore friendship and a relationship outside of "training?"

I am looking forward to more pictures and more adventures to be told.

Best Wishes,

Donald, Altea, and Bonalaria Magdalena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm 

Thank you! I am honored to have them in my life. I will definitely be updating, as I am extremely curious on how these methods will apply to Maji (my mare) as an older, less handled mustang and others I will have the pleasure of encountering. And the more feedback, the more I can improve!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 pm 

Hi to you and your horses,
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun exploring the topics, diaries, photo's and videos on AND, and then have lots of fun asking questions, making suggestions and generally joining in with the AND community.
Susie xx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 am 

Hi there, and welcome!

What a wonderful introduction -- and your family is gorgeous.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing more!

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:25 am 

Any chance you are near The Gorge?

I'm kind of nutty about Mustangs, and I'm also hoping to bring more AND folks together in the PNW. The two go so well together I think.

If yours is, as I think it is, of the very spanish type, we could be related. Mine are Andalusians, likely related the first horses brought from Europe to this continent. They should know their relatives.

I have new acquaintances that are Kigers in Bend, OR.

There are plenty of Spanish horses in the PNW.

Here's one of mine (she's not swaybacked, she's just having an ecstatic out-of-body experience because I'm given her a deep body massage) :

Her mane and tail are growing out to a great huge bushy mass, rather like yours in the picture you posted.

Okay, your turn. MORE pictures please. :yes:

Donald, Altea, and Bonnie Cupcake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 pm 

:ieks: I cannot express how excited I am! Here I was thinking how I could ask where in the PNW you were located to see if maybe we could at least once meet...

I am located in Eagle Creek, OR, about 1 hour from Hood River.

We believe Maji has Spanish heritage, but I could not prove it to you. She looks very different from the rest of her herd. When she arrived at the rescue I got her from she had a foal at her side and was also in foal. Eventually I will be able to get pictures of the two babies to post on here. Actually, if you were ever interested in visiting the rescue, they are located in Roseburg, and I occasionally make weekend visits there. Here is a link to the site: http://whisperingwindsequinerescue.com/

I know while Mister, my QH gelding, understands all of these methods so well, it seems there is a whole new level with Maji. She has never known anything else than being a wild horse until this past year and it would seem she is responding incredibly well to the body language and nature of AND. I am anxious to get to know more mustangs and see how they respond to the same language. It is an incredible thing!

If you would like, send me an email and maybe we can discuss trying to arrange a visit? My email is absolutetruthinchrist@gmail.com.

Thank you to all of you for your warm welcome. I have the feeling this is the beginning to something beautiful. ;)

P.S. I plan on starting a training diary tomorrow where I will post some more pictures, maybe some videos, and both Mister and Maji's stories. Yesterday was just too hectic to get anything moving!