The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:59 pm 

I've been strolling around here for some time and decided to join because my life and my horses lives have taken a HUGE turn this year. :applause:

I spent 30 years as a classical dressage rider, and loved using trail work to keep the overall mental and physical health of things balanced. But when i started my newest horse (my dream mare, a FrisianxTB) I ran aground at the first instructor that ordered "make her do it" and 'she'll get over it".

Up to then ground work and riding had been a partnership where she agreed willingly or we did something else. But once I was riding and trying to 'advance' more, I ran into the wall of traditional horsemanship that makes the horse comply with pressure and negative reinforcement. And my mare was not happy. No one else even saw this, but I FELT it and i STOPPED in my tracks.

I was positive there had to be another way, I had felt it earlier on. so I wandered around the internet and found this site and a few others.

Then this spring I took a big leap and started working with http://friendshiptraining.org and I've never been happier! WOW. No ropes, tack, whips, ALL positive , all joy. AND a horse that is more respectful and bonded to me than ever!

My other life with horses includes:
Natural Horse and Hoof Health Care. I am an Equinextion Mentor Trimmer. http://www.equinextion.com
And writing about that in my books. Sometimes very subtly in my children's novels and sometimes more openly in my latest book My Natural Horses, for ages 7 and up, illustrating how I keep two horses in my corner of Canada as natural as possible. http://www.hugahorsefarm.com/mynaturalhorses.html

Is it acceptable to link to my author's website here? If not, let me know

i may be quietly reading here for months now - there is SO much to learn

Anne Louise

Last edited by Hug a Horse Farm on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Anne Louise!! :)

So nice that you have joined us. I had heard about you before when someone talked about your horsekeeping book for children and how wonderful it was. Unfortunately I don't remember when, where and who that was.

I wonder if this is a funny coincidence, but within the last week my attention was brought to Friendship Training in different contexts for three times, whereas before I had hardly ever heard of it. Guess it's time for me to find out what that actually is. :smile:

You can link to your site of course, we are very happy about every helpful or interesting information.

I hope you will enjoy your time here! :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 am 

thanks!
yes, maybe a few fans in your country :blush: - one my books is translated into German

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:27 am 

Hello right back at you, Anne Louise.

Nice to have you here with us. Thank you for your story and the links to your interests and vocation. Lots to see and think about.

Donald, Altea, and Bonnie Cupcake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 am 

Hi Anne Louise and a big welcome from me!

I was, believe it or not, just last night looking at your website last night. (I'm about to move from California to New York and am in search of a barefoot trimmer who can help my project horse make the transition to nekkid tootsies. I was so impressed with the equinextion website!

(I saw that you have one trimmer in NY, but he's a long ways away from me. If you've got any suggestions about trimmers who are in Southern NY, I'd love to hear them.)

Anyhow -- just visited Hug a Horse Farm, at least virtually, and fell in love with both Isabelle and Charlie.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

All the best,
Leigh

PS: As Romy said, please feel free to include links to any of your work -- we love to share with all of our friends here!! :f:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 am 

welcome....
So you're living in canada... I always wanted to go there sometime...
Just didn't had the oppertunety yet.

Really interesting links.
I just took a quick look. I want to read them properly when i have more time

I know what you meen with e total turn in being with horses.
But is is not easy.
For me... it sometimes feels like i know nothing.
But you can't go back...

And every day you discouver a new beautyfull moment. wich makes it all worth wile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:59 am 

liljebo wrote:

I know what you meen with e total turn in being with horses.
But is is not easy.
For me... it sometimes feels like i know nothing.
But you can't go back...

And every day you discouver a new beautyfull moment. wich makes it all worth wile.

You are SOOOO right there! Never going back. Ever! :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Hi Anne Louise and a big welcome from me!

(I saw that you have one trimmer in NY, but he's a long ways away from me. If you've got any suggestions about trimmers who are in Southern NY, I'd love to hear them.)

:f:

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Jeff is very good. He does travel some. Worth getting in touch with him anyway - he may have an opinion on other trimmers in the state.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:42 pm 

Thank you, Anne Louise, I will do that!

I just read the first chapter of The Ghost Horse of Meadow Green and now I have to go to Amazon to order it!

And so I can share this temptation...

http://www.kidscanpress.com/Assets/Book ... hapter.pdf

Please feel free to start a thread about this and your other writing in the AND Lifestyle section if you'd like...

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 pm 

Hello Anne Louise, I too am from Eastern Canada but I live in the Quebec City area. Are you still living in Nova Scotia. Beautiful province! I don't participate too much anymore (not enough time) but I have read some articles and your life seems fascinating.
I will read up more about Friendship Training. It sounds interesting (anything positive is interesting!!)
Hope to hear more.
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:00 pm 

HI Jocelyne. Nice to meet another Canuck. I guess I should have said Atlantic Canada. I never think of Quebec in Eastern Canada .... but that's how it is described - funny.