The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:18 pm 

Josepha,
I agree with you so much on tradition. Traditions usually get started for good (although not necessarily morally good) reasons and then are continued for totally different reasons. I have always been very interested in how to change traditions in another area of life, religion and spiritual life, and it is incredibly hard there, too, to encourage change. I see so many parallels between exploring alternate and better ways of relating to animals and alternate ways of living spiritual life. I'll have to look to see if anyone has posted on that yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:07 pm 

ok, i just read it...yes yes yes! I would love to use it! But feel it will prompt follow ups....like how do i get started? what is easy to do? it will have to be the whole ground excercises condensed into 1 article!! well one or two for starters!!
thank you thank you... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you :)

Well, the next two articles are inserted in the 5 step plan :)
You may use them as well. Just mail me with the details when you are ready to talk some serieus magazine starting :)

For groundwork, there are already some great articles from Miriam and Karen etc. in the grondwork section.
Maybe you could ask them of they can be used in your magazine?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 am 

hehe, traditions are funny, i remember me and my friend getting on her pony at the same time once for a laugh, and when it came to getting off i couldn't, and could only manage to get off on the right, so what does my friend say? "Lizzie, your getting off on the wrong side!" "I don't think that really matters now lauren" :funny:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm 

Birgit wrote:
Josepha,
I agree with you so much on tradition. Traditions usually get started for good (although not necessarily morally good) reasons and then are continued for totally different reasons. I have always been very interested in how to change traditions in another area of life, religion and spiritual life, and it is incredibly hard there, too, to encourage change. I see so many parallels between exploring alternate and better ways of relating to animals and alternate ways of living spiritual life. I'll have to look to see if anyone has posted on that yet.

Ritual is comforting. Comfort is thus a powerful incentive. Change is uncomfortable, yet another powerful incentive. The two together, as is most often the case, keeps people doing the "safe" and "better" old one. In fact they will often identify the old as being "true," and the new as being "false." Makes their own internal argument, if any, short and final.

One can even solidify the old more by attacking it.

Changing people most often, other than by shock coupled with or as a result of force, is accomplished by slowly introducing new ritual that replaces the old.

In fact wise teachers, including those that teach riding and horse handling know about and use this. And the closer to the old comfortable rituals one can make the new the more likely it is to be accepted.

They have been known, on occasion, to even repeat themselves as they instruct. :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Doanld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
And the closer to the old comfortable rituals one can make the new the more likely it is to be accepted.

That is so true Donald. And that is why I explain that we do the same thing the old masters taught, except it is adapted a little to the use of the horse today.
From war horse to leisure horse.
Once you explain this to people they understand that there needs to be a little change in the program :funny: 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 am 

Wow you are good at writing!!!

Very interesting and nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Human manners

Many horse trainers' website or book is full with the concept of 'horse manners towards humans' and how to teach them. But what about human manners towards the horse? read more

http://www.josepha.info

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:18 pm 

:yes: :yes: :yes: :d: :^: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Very well said, and totally logical also. :f:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 am 

:f: Really nice article to add to your website. Good advice to pass onto your students. :kiss:
One day all instructors might consider the horses who offer pleasure to many leisure riders at riding schools, one day soon hopefully. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 am 

Lovely, Josepha!!

Think this thought is so splendid:
Quote:
Watch them, study them, film them, photograph them, draw them, dream them, write and think about them.

And this is so in sync with my current "no control until I need no control" thoughts.

I don't get to be grabby and demanding because I need control because I have any potential fear of what Circe might do that I don't anticipate... The key isn't control, it's learning and awareness and politeness.

And I love your analogy about learning about human behavior from soldiers -- there's nothing natural about watching that. Wonderful.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:D

Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Why thank you girls :kiss:
I have sooo much to share but sooo little time!

What would you like me to write about first?

Susie and Donald have Bitless without trouble ready!!! Now hopefully we can get the final editing done next week :) Then Ralph will produce a UK and a USA version :)

Also Rosaria is working on the Spanish version and Francoise wil try to get the (Belgian) french version next year. Eriko has promissed to do the Japanese version but she too is soooo busy at her holistic vet practise and horse academy...
Then we have someone who wants to do the Hungarian version after the English version is done and maybe Ania wants do the polish version to get the message well, well spread!
For the horse...for the horse.. everything and always for the horse!

I want to save every horse I can for horses saved me! :love:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 pm 

Love it! :applause:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:21 am 

superb! well written and so totally true

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you :)

There is a new short update on what I've been up to.
go to www.josepha.info and click on 'All I can Muster News Flash'

Teaser text:

Hello there Natural Riding Art fans!

Fall is unmistakably in the air and I must confess that I feel relieved, for during the winter months I shall have time for writing and training with my own boys!

As much as I love the summer and travelling around teaching, it is always reassuring that winter will bring some time to put yet another summer worth of extending knowledge into practise and theory. For make no mistake, by teaching all of you I learn a lot myself. With every horse I meet and have the honour to work with, my reward is more experience and inspiration! And I love that! I only hate not having time to work things out with my own boys and get a chance to write or make youtube videos. So that is my pledge for heavenly winter to come.

What is new on the front of our School TAONARA and our Shop Equihof or better yet, what's been keeping us busy?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next