The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:00 pm 

Hello,
Just joined this list and thought I'd introduce myself. I am Samantha and my partner Rob and I, recently acquired two horses - one a retired Standardbred ex-racer who we have adopted from the Ontario Standardbred Adoption Society, the other a Lipizzaner who belonged to a Classic Dressage Teacher previously. The Standardbred (Tucker) is a mature horse who has been trained under saddle and has lots of experience in competition, etc., as well as trail riding. The Lipizzaner (Wandosa) is an 18 year old mare who has had several foals over the years and is also highly trained, calm and quiet with Dressage experience. We have always loved horses, and just want to give them a "forever" home through the rest of their lives. Although I have had quite a lot of experience years ago, it has been sometime and my partner has no previous experience, so these horses are a great match for us. We are not interested in competing in any discipline, however, I am very interested in Dressage - something I have no experience with, hence why I joined this board. We have had several people helping us along in bringing these horses home - however, I have found that being a "novice" owner of horses can be something of a problem with some. Seems that it's a very "closed" world to some and being a "new owner" makes you an outsider who is automatically thought of as incapable - difficult to overcome these ideas that some have, but I suppose over time, they will disappear.

Our horses are well cared for, well vetted and well housed and fed. Anything and everything that we can learn about care is very welcome and it would be great to have contact with someone else in Ontario or Canada who has dressage experience and would be will to help a novice learn about the sport.

Thank you so much for your time and for this board.

Best Wishes to all

Samantha and Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Samantha and Rob!

Ejoy your stay in our vivid green dressage café :-)

Can't wait to see pictures of your lipizzaner, wow!

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:03 am 

I would love to post a picture of Wandosa - as soon as I figure out how - lol.

Thanks for your warm welcome

Samantha

Post subject: A photo of Wandosa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 am 

Here she is:

Post subject: Re: A photo of Wandosa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:17 am 

Sorry - tried to post a photo of Wandosa in accordance with directions given. I uploaded the photo to my Flickr account, then sent the message with the photo, clicking on the IMG button above and then inserting the URL of the photo on Flickr. However, this doesn't seem to have worked so :D - I've no idea how to do this -lol

samantha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:38 am 

LOL - Tried to post a picture and couldn't do it, BUT we did figure out how to create an Avatar, so Wandosa's picture is now our Avatar

samantha and rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Samantha!! :)

The photo did not show up in your message because you linked to the whole page, not just the picture. Unfortunately I don't know how to link to a picture with Flickr, but I copied the link and pasted it into the box where you insert the url, so I could still see Wandosa's picture. She is lovely! :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm 

Hello Samantha:

Where in Ontario are you from? I'm from Quebec. I would love to see your pictures also I'll check it out when you are able to post them.

I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile (lack of time) but I will tell you that there is so much information available, even for us who know nothing about dressage. I have two geldings (15 and 17) and knew hardly anything about horses. This forum has taught me so much on what a horse is really like. Everyone would tell me that you had to show who's boss. Well my horses know I'm the leader and I have never hit them, so...

This forum guides you on how to have fun with your horse, and not make your horse work, work, work.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself but be prepared, there is so much information you can't read everything at once.

If you have questions, someone for sure will be there to answer.

Also, alot of info on health, games to do, hooves, etc, etc.

Welcome to another Canadian

P.S. we did good at the Olympics, hey :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 am 

Welcome to our forum Samantha!

Don't worry about the pictures: it took most of us a bit longer to find out how to do it :funny: :funny:
I guess being a natural horse person is not exactly the best credit for being a nerd :funny:

We look forward to those pictures though, just keep on trying!

Lots of success!

:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:40 am 

Welcome, Samantha and Rob and Tucker and Wandosa!

I'm singing her praises a lot these days (as it should be! :yes: ;) ) but you should definitely check out Karen's diary -- she's a fellow Canadian, and while she's extremely self-effacing, she's doing extraordinary work with her young horse, Tam, and is one of the more serious studiers of dressage here...

Her diary: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42&start=930

She is a font of ideas and knowledge!

All the best,
Leigh