The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Going abroad...maybe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:56 pm 

Hi all :)

I'm thinking now for quite some time about going abroad, actually I cannot even decide where I'd like to go most, I'm just eager to see the world.
I'm just worried I won't like the people and I'm too dependent and anyway I don't know where to start, if I could afford it or how I could best earn my being there.
I'd love to be on a farm and help out there, then on the other side I couldn't bear to see unhappy animals, I like children, but I don't think I'm very good with them and so on and so on...

What do you think about it, have you ever done something similar?

Maybe I should just start a job training, but I just don't really feel like it, I'm very exhausted of school and not sure if I'll even get my A-levels...I'm afraid I only want to walk away from that, though I know I can only profit from doing something on my own -if I just manage it...

Thx

Post subject: Re: Going abroad...maybe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:38 pm 

Choosing a path is no easy matter. But predicting, even when we have picked, is impossible.

We do not know what is around the corner, and even if there is meaning to life and significance in our decisions about our path.

Nevertheless, we do make those decisions, including the decision to not decide.

Not deciding or deciding; life will happen to you in any event.

Consider though that there is little adventure, and no sense of accomplishment in deciding not to decide. You can always blame someone or something else for less desireable, bad, outcomes, and yet you cannot take credit for any of the good ones.

With deciding yourself you will get the blame, that is for sure, as there are plenty of people quite willing to lay on blame, but then you will also KNOW that you can take the credit for many, possibly most, of the good outcomes.

In the end it's a matter not feeling in control of your life, or feeling in control, and the great monster in the lives of the young students. They seem to all, pretty much, suffer ennui.

Why?

Because in fact there is very little they are in control of. Family, school, fashion, culture, society all seem to be controlling them.

One matures by stepping out, even from within those boundaries ... that is making decisions one's self, risk and all. And one can do it without actually leaving family, school, the fashions of the times, or culture, or society. It's rather fun to be a rebel from within.

At least I certainly enjoyed it when I was young, and now, even as I am old, I still do it, still enjoy it. 74 and determined to become the oldest living horse trainer riding instructor on the planet.

And if I don't make it?

I will have had the ride of a lifetime. Mine, My ride, responsible for it all, failures and wins. Seems worth it to me to take the path of decision making. (Trust me, I've more than my share of failures, but what the heck, eh?)

It may be that to decide is more important than what to decide.

Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:03 pm 

Oh Donald, I so enjoy readng your advice. I hope you don't mind me calling you the father of wisdom!!!!!!

I think for all people making the decision to strike out and do something after school is a cross roads. To study or work, and who is happier at the end of their lives. To make money, family, career the motivation to get up every day or not and overall to feel that you are of worth and achieving something.

I am happy to say that my life has been happy and full and I have taken many paths and changed directions along the way. Just recently I got a new job, one I was not expecting.......

For me the rules are simple. Family comes first (and I don't think you really understand this until you have children of your own), Try to embrace opportunites that life throws at you, turn a negative into a positive even if it is to avoid doing that again!, and if you are unhappy then decide what it is that makes you feel that way and change it.

I hope my life continues to be happy and I am sure it will if I choose it to be this way and if I choose to see the good and not the bad.

Bella, I think whatever you choose will be okay. The worse that can happen is you don't lke the outcome, in which case you can choose another path.......
I think the main point is that whatever you do you will need to earn enough money to look after yourself and hopefully it will be doing something you enjoy.There are lots of places that will employ you and give you food and lodgings in the horse industry. You may not earn much money but you will explore life and gain some experience.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 am 

i can not overrule the wisdom of Donald ;-)
but what i know that there is for example in france you can pick grape or renovate old buildings. So you wont see poor animals :-)
and earn some money to survive and to travel furter.
it will be posible in spain also i think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:22 pm 

Thank you.

I like your thoughts about the importance of taking decisions, Donald!

Morgan, I can so much refer to the money-thing -and to the family, because I know how lonely one can be and I love my family...

Inge, harvesting sounds really nice, I think I really could do that for some weeks, wherever needed, I think it's nice to have a task like that from time to time, too :)

I know that decisions are my very challenge :yes:
That's good to be aware of.

I think I won't go away for a year, at least not for now. I think it is much time and I think that one really should be able to be happy at home, because if not, it will be hard to be happy anywhere else, still.

Right now I decided to try to contact any farmers and give them a helping hand if I'm allowed.
I'm just not sure if I really will do it, because I don't know how and I'm much too afraid of life anyhow. I really am afraid that I won't have enough money and no place to live anytime, it's quite crazy, and I cannot imagine to do a job that I don't like to do, I not even make it to get a job besides going to school. I'm quite convinced that I have to work on these things, first, because to me that seems the reason why I'm stuck, and it's not really a small reason.

I would love to see the world, but I'll never be able to see all of it and people over here are still the same as anywhere else (more or less).

Maybe I'll go abroad for a month or such, maybe anytime I will move to the sea, maybe one time I can have my own horses and fulfill my dreams.
So, I just am worried that I will never do it, because I don't know how and because of being too afraid to really live my life, and waiting won't change anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:50 pm 

If you can find friends of friends, or family, that need some help on their farm (perhaps for a short harvest period or with horses etc), this might be just the short term step in the right direction. Not too far from home that you can still visit and discuss how things are going, but far enough you live independantly (although with another family) and learn to budget your income and look after yourself.
This has worked well for a lot of my friends kids to be first employed by someone they know. That way everyone gets to keep an eye out for you but you get to learn some independance.
No-one goes through life without making mistakes and sometimes really bad ones, but this is how we all learn. My favourite saying is "only people that work make mistakes"!!!!!!! You will always have friends and family who will advise you along the way and that never changes, no matter how old or worldly you get!!!!!!!!

You may very well surprise yourself at just how capable you are....after all you are here and doing that for yourself!!!!!!

Please let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:00 pm 

Helene E was looking for a horse au pair a while back...........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:16 pm 

My uncle had about 5,000 acres under cultivation, and more in rough grazing land for cattle. At only 11 years old I was driving huge, and I mean HUGE, Caterpillar tractors pulling 8 gang harrows for miles and miles each day. He let me work cattle with his vaqueros on runty but tough little mustangs. It all taught me a great deal and I got to live at home, lucky me.

My first real professional job with horses though I got because neighbors with horses liked to have me exercise theirs for them. And one day I rode an OTTB past a racing stable. The head trainer walked out and stopped me, said he knew the horse. I don't recall the direction the conversation took but as I recall he offered to let me gallop the horse, instead of out in the desert like I usually did, on his quarter mile training track.

Within a month or so I was working for him, and only about 13 years old at the time, riding beautiful and very expensive thoroughbred stock.

I'm not telling you this to brag and make you feel envious. I'm telling you to get out and do things. Whatever you can. Watch where it can take you if you MOVE.

Sitting and thinking about it can only help to create more tension, I suppose, and I suppose too that this can serve, if it gets to hurting enough, to motivate you to move, but why not just move instead?

Are there horses in your neighborhood? Can you ride decently? Do you chat up the owners just because they are neighbors? Get to know people who are doing what you want to do eventually.

Someone that is keen and game to DO rather than just think about it tends to be recognized by others, and they respond to it.

If some kid in my neighborhood right now started hanging out just to be around Bonnie and Altea, and offered to help with cleaning up if they could play with Bonnie, and they were not a nutcase or flake, I'd be letting them do much more.

I know that one day I'll need an apprentice and right now I'm keeping my eyes open for you.

I still follow the rule of MOVE and DO it, so you see I'm not just thinking about it, I'm making decisions that will put such a person in my path. I've decided, for instance, to put Altea in a barn situation for about a month, then bring her home and put Bonnie there. I've already and adult student that is moving her horse there at my suggestion so we can teach and train over winter. I've two young ladies there that are about to start lessons with me.

Barns attract young hopefuls, just like yourself. Go offer to clean stalls. NO ONE ever refuses that offer. :funny: :funny:

MOVE, DO, be somewhere where it can all happen to you. It's really what everyone here is saying to you.

Hugs,
Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:44 pm 

hey Donald would love to see you as a little boy in a mega huge caterpillar. I have rode ones with a smaller one. ;-)
Also a crane who can cut in a very fast way lots of trees, and did some cutting too. it goes way more faster then with a motorsaw.
But i prefer that more. Then you can hear the crack when it fall down :D

i know also a place for you "Bella" in Iceland, very very nice people they speak also german because she is original from germany
and speak english and icelandic ofcourse. You can do there work with horses and lead tourist during their trips which they arrange during the summertime.
We have been there twice for a holiday and as soon i have more money we will go back again. But that will take some more years *LOL* it is a good stop over for the next country the USA or canada :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:20 pm 

Yeah, I'd like to be in another family most of all, I think :)
In our village aren't many horses. I would like to ask one farmer, if I might care for his horses a bit, but haven't had an opportunity, yet. Once, I even applied for cleaning stables, but I was too slow in any case.

Well, I'm not sure if I read about HeleneEs request, but might well be, that it's a bit too late, now again...I'll find out ;)

Thanks for your help, Inge, do you really think that I could go there? Well, I just was worried about money, too...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:25 am 

i think you will have there a realy great time. Those people are very sweet. And have a little boy also.
i know him as a little baby but now he is walking already :-) and ride the horses and cuddle the sheeps.
i sent you a pb later this day for more info
i think the only costs you have is the plain and the bus the get there. Because you have to work for your food and bed :-)In the village there is a nice swimmingpool with a hot pot.....o wow i loved it.....if i could i would go there right away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm 

Hi Inge...that sounds really good
and sheep are also quite suitable :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 pm 

Bella wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to be in another family most of all, I think :)
In our village aren't many horses. I would like to ask one farmer, if I might care for his horses a bit, but haven't had an opportunity, yet. Once, I even applied for cleaning stables, but I was too slow in any case.

Did they say you were too slow to work for them, or are you saying you are too slow? Maybe you aren't really, but just think you are. And one learns how to be more efficient and speedy with practice. Even forking out soiled bedding and manure takes a certain amount of skill and learning - your body begins to accommodate, you learn to move more efficiently, you gain strength for the specific tasks such as handling the fork, and hauling and dumping the cart, etc.

We all start not knowing, not being good at something, getting better, learning.

Bella wrote:

Well, I'm not sure if I read about HeleneEs request, but might well be, that it's a bit too late, now again...I'll find out ;)

Thanks for your help, Inge, do you really think that I could go there? Well, I just was worried about money, too...

Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 pm 

Hi Donald,
I'm sorry for being unclear, I just meant that I was too slow to get the job, because when I phoned in there, they had already found someone.
Still...I might need some practise ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 pm 

...am quite decided to take a year "off", right now.
I just want to do some practica where I then might be able to do my training, and I also want to work on a farm and just see how it goes, help with horses...what ever possible...Well, still I have to plan this and anyhow now I do have even more options than before ;), but I think I'll be better not right starting off in that real job-thing...
I'm in search of...whatever :f: