The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 pm 

I'm totally jealous of your ability to capture unique moments with exquisite lighting angles. Some of those dark backgrounds are just so dramatic. Very, very nice. I also love the goats!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:29 am 

Well, my site is much of the way along. And, here I had just decided I had to get really patient. But no, look at a test shot:

Gah! So glamourous!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm 

looks nice. :thumright:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 am 

Day before yesterday Annaliese come out to visit Bonnie and Altea, and incidentally Kate and I as well. She brought a lovely friend along too, who got to play with Bonnie and Altea.

We had a time walking in the woods, as it was very wet, soggy in fact. Sometimes it's like walking through a sponge to get around in the rain forest here. And of course, it was raining much of the time too.

Recently I mentioned that I was considering Altea recovered enough and conditioned enough now to consider adding some more variety to her exercise routines. I considered stepping up on a stump as useful for her ... lots of stretching. And eventually we'd go on to all four feet on the stump, as in GOTM.

Well, this is only the second time I've asked her to step up on a stump, and she actually did it the first time. Bonnie, of course, takes advantage of her exposed position, as you'll see if you look at the page on mounting the stump at this next link:

http://www.annaliesemoyer.com/horses/bonnie8months/index_7.html

You can see the newest Bonnie gallery in total starting here:
http://www.annaliesemoyer.com/horses/bonnie8months/

I'm not sure what makes Bonnie's back look so long in this picture (it's rather short, in fact -- her Arabian heritage along with her tail being aloft most of the time), but I like the picture nonetheless.

Donald, Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 am 

Oh Wow, what an absolute treasure trove of keepsake photo's.
Altea is so very photogenic, I think my favourites were sevel of the 300's around page 13, but I liked 211 as well. Bonnie sure is growing.
Susie xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:15 am 

wow nice pics again. here you can see so good how they are changing during the last months.
both look beautyfull, and you too btw in the yellow rainsuit :D
over here it is hoorible weather too lots of rain and very windy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 am 

:D How gorgeous they both are. Bonnie is HUGE !!! :ieks:

:funny: I must get some pics of Freckles and his new pedestal ambition - he has chosen a stump that is so high he actually shakes while he's up there :funny: It's actually our mounting block at the moment, so I think he just wants to do everything I do. :roll: I have made absolutely no progress with the back legs, though.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 pm 

Glen Grobler wrote:
:D How gorgeous they both are. Bonnie is HUGE !!! :ieks:

:funny: I must get some pics of Freckles and his new pedestal ambition - he has chosen a stump that is so high he actually shakes while he's up there :funny: It's actually our mounting block at the moment, so I think he just wants to do everything I do. :roll: I have made absolutely no progress with the back legs, though.

Do you mean in helping step up with his back legs?

I try to, when I'm wanting Altea's back legs to move, remember those posts where Karen discusses "shaping," and it encourages me to not be stuck with what seems an impossible or very difficult task. +R even the tiniest of movement, or even if I think I just imagined a movement, always pays off. I learn every time that it's my patience that is the problem. :funny:

Donald, Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:37 am 

Quote:
Do you mean in helping step up with his back legs?

Yes, we do not have even an inkling that Freckles will consider putting his back feet up on a pedestal. I have been thinking of going back to asking him onto a "pedestal" that is only a few inches high to see if I can then get a hint of an attempt that I can reward. :funny: I can only shape something if there is small "try" from him. :funny: :funny: :funny:

He puts all his pedestal "try" into higher and higher pedestals. Clown horse - I swear he thinks "I'm the King of the Castle" when he gets up somewhere, because he peers down his nose with a very superior expression on his face. It's marvelous.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin

OMG Bonnie has grown so, much and so beautiful!
But Altea… her expression has soften enormously and she looks much more present!
She has softened and opened up to you Don! :clap:
The way she carries her body to express herself to you… wow! :ieks: All Bonnie has to do now is act after her mommie and that’s it right there!
And Altea’s muscle tone… correct muscles have been replaced for the dangerous fat that was there.
You should set out a program for all pregnant woman/new mommies, they all want to have a body like that after the baby!

And Annaliese… what pictures, wow! Every time I think ‘this is my favourite’ a even more beautiful comes along. So I gave up on that, just gorgeous, one after the other!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 pm 

Yes, Josepha, Altea has changed considerably. I can tell the secret of good physical conditioning recovery after childbirth, at least in Altea's case. Hard going. Presently she slogs along in mud, and while her expression suggests she doesn't like it, it most certainly works every muscle group, especially the abdominals.

She's very near being ridable, I think. Kate and I have been planning an easy program for her. But she's so feisty I think I'll not let Kate ride for a bit until Altea has settled down some under saddle. We'll see.

As for attitude?

Well, just yesterday, when we were just loving on her after moving she and Bonnie back to the barn from their outing we noticed that Altea was holding her head between us, and fretting with herself whether or not to let these "treacherous humans" relieve those head and ear itchies or not.

And finally, she began to rub her head and present her ears to us. Though you could see a bit of a struggle for her she was softening and loving the attention.

I think about her as though she were one of the traumatized children I used to work with, having been abandoned, as so many of those were, one way or another, by their care givers. Afraid to trust, afraid to attach to another, always testing, quick to pull away from any emotional intimacy, rejecting of attention while acting out to get it, pulled this and and that internally.

I suspect many "bad" horses, when one looks through and past their dangerous behavior, simply have no good reasons to trust human caregivers. Altea lived for 10 years on one place, likely with her brothers and sisters around her, and doubtless her mother, a brood mare, and then one day was taken and put in a traveling box, and never saw, touched, smelled, or heard any of them every again.

She lost her herd. Her entire family in one giant life change. And humans did it.

Three more years, a set of mules and a pony to live with, but again little human touch, and giving birth to a son, who she lived with for two years, then suddenly one day, again placed in a traveling box, and hauled away again - from her new friends, even the little bit of human contact she had.

She needs all the patience and consistency and persistent loving she can and will get. She may never fully recover and be as fully trusting as Bonnie is, but then, she has a good and gentle heart and deserves love - has, in fact, a right to it.

Donald, Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:50 am 

Well, it has been so slow in coming, but today, Equigraphic is up.
http://www.equigraphic.com

Even though there is already one picture I want to replace, I am very happy with it. My cards (which you can see on the blog page) are in the mail to me, and now to see about that whole getting hired part of the equation.

A good part of the reason that I have hardly been here this year is how hard I have been working, in large part on this, but much else as well.

My time at Belle's barn seemed to draw to a close, and it was sad to me to be all alone in my horse world the few places I might go play. It just seemed right to put my nose to the grindstone. I will try and be good, and the poor winter weather should help, but I hoe to figure out my equi life again soon.

I got to go out and see Donald and Bonnie and Althea, which was great. And my new good friend is looking to get back to Horse. Same with my old riding girlfriend, as she just quit her full time job at the therapeutic barn. SO we shall see about that part. And now it will make more sense since I am ready to do the professional side of things in earnest.

And then my plan to travel the world taking AND pictures...
:yes:

Miss you friends!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:02 am 

It is SO lovely!!!! Congratulations and I hope that all your hard work pays off. You deserve it!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:10 pm 

annaliese wrote:
Well, it has been so slow in coming, but today, Equigraphic is up.
http://www.equigraphic.com

Even though there is already one picture I want to replace, I am very happy with it. My cards (which you can see on the blog page) are in the mail to me, and now to see about that whole getting hired part of the equation.

A good part of the reason that I have hardly been here this year is how hard I have been working, in large part on this, but much else as well.

My time at Belle's barn seemed to draw to a close, and it was sad to me to be all alone in my horse world the few places I might go play. It just seemed right to put my nose to the grindstone. I will try and be good, and the poor winter weather should help, but I hoe to figure out my equi life again soon.

I got to go out and see Donald and Bonnie and Althea, which was great. And my new good friend is looking to get back to Horse. Same with my old riding girlfriend, as she just quit her full time job at the therapeutic barn. SO we shall see about that part. And now it will make more sense since I am ready to do the professional side of things in earnest.

And then my plan to travel the world taking AND pictures...
:yes:

Miss you friends!

There is talent, and then there is genius. But of course, there is both.

The task for the person so graced with both these is to bring them together. It's a long road. To my eye you are well along the road. It's calling to you.

Sometimes when one is deeply immersed in their art it appears to them mundane when it is not to others. Don't forget the other's view of your work.

You know you have both genius and and talent in an image when it touches something in the person seeing it.

Many of the people and animals I see in your photos I want so very much to meet and learn about and know better.

Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:42 pm 

annaliese,

if you start your all around the world tour ;) please come to us during the autum.
i have been for at least 25 times photographed by several people. They love my little ponys in their heavy coat.
They are both fuchs and this is a ver good match during the autum and the colored trees.
Unfortunaltely i can t take pics of myself during our trips :sad: but i know they are great.
i have to bring a photorobot with me hahahahaha....who can film and take pictures

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next