The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:36 pm 

As I have n't started a diary, still trying to read, absorb and enjoy everyone else's, I have posted photo's of my wonderful darling boys, (I am just a little biased?), and I have such nice times hanging out with them. Ben is six but although I backed him, I have never felt the need to ride him, he slipped during turnout as a four year old and was given massage and time out for a gluttenous muscle, he does not mind a rider on his back but he does not like being mounted from either side, he prefers I find something very tall and lower myself onto him, rather than climb up, so he is companion pony, unless he changes his mind.
Daniel is four, he enjoys going for exploratory walks, often wearing his tack but only being sat on for very short periods, he needs to know going out into the wider world is fun.
Arthur, like most young children is an attention seeker, and so disruptive to Dan's nice liberty walk, halt, back, turn and begin lateral work if only his handler can remember the bio-mechanics of which foot should be where or next when asking. Anything Dan can do, Arthur has to do by getting between us, he did 12 back up steps in a straight line to prove he needed Danny's treat bag, and I had only asked Dan for 2 steps after a halt.
We do not have an arena, so unless I shut the barn door, all three come and "help", whilst I attempt to concentrate on one of them.

Photo's, - I love their day off, hanging about and picking blackberries, it is a true reflection of our "normal" we hang out and do no work! Well it is just so much fun and these boys are great company.
Pictures are mostly pages 1 and 2 of

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2695

Susie xx PiePony

Post subject: Pedestal 1st Attempts.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 pm 

Today I was lucky to have Nicki come over and play. We found a nice weight bearing log and asked Daniel if he could stand on it. I let him sniff and see it first then lifted his hoof, and then the other one and he seemed to think this was okay.
Ideally we now have to get his hind hooves closer because he did a big stretch. But I swell with love every time I see my little blue eyed Gypsy Cob and I am so grateful for his generosity and trust.
These are Daniel's pedestal photo's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piepony/

Susie xx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm 

I LOVE HIS SMILE!!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

He is totally gorgeous and it´s so nice that he has discovered the joy of standing on the pedestal now - you can do so much with that. I always feel like the pedestal gives them some sort of "fixed point" or maybe even gets them focused a bit more and I often use this for all kinds of things, like waiting exercises, getting the rears more controlled or other things where I need some sort of positional clarity.

Love your pictures, please post more of them, and especially of cute little Ben! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:33 pm 

he really stretches great! and you sitting under there scratching is so wonderful! he really enjoys it, you know the right spots ;)
I just was trying to get a glimp of his blue eyes, I'll have to go check another place for more pic's probably... haven't had lot's of time lately so I don't know evey horse anymore :blush:
funny, because when I was a child I knew every horse I ever met once by name and could recognise it ;)

but I did check your pic's on the link and they are sooooooo cute!

he really looks very cool on his pedestal :) have fun with it!!!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:08 pm 

that guy is stunning! :love: and he is so enjoying himself! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:01 pm 

Aawww !! He's so proud of himself - totally cute. I agree with Karen - HE SMILES 8) wonderful.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:03 am 

:kiss: Thank you, Thank you for the kind replies. I am so happy that you like my darling baby, he was 4 this year.
I will pass on the lovely comments to smiley, cute, stunning, gorgeous boy tomorrow.
Daniel will probably blush. :blush:
He did get on the pedestal a couple more times today, Romy is right, it teaches stay, Daniel stayed put for 5 and 10 minutes at a time and he gets off the pedestal very gently, except once when Arthur pushed him off. :lol:
Sometimes my big 2 year old wanting attention really needs to be locked in the barn to allow me one to one with Daniel. Difficult enough playing with ponies when Simon the collie dog spends all his time herding us and getting under our hooves, at least Jonathon the rescue collie dog is scared of sheep and horses and keeps a sensible distance. :f:
Susie xx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 am 

:applause: Gorgeous pics of a beautiful boy, Susie!
I love the OOWW ERRR SCRITCHIES face, :funny:
I love seeing this boy!
Adie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

ow, this is priceless! The faces of you both! :applause: What joy :)
And the beauty that is him... :love:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:13 pm 

:applause: good work....sweet boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:42 am 

The two of you do look funny like this, obviously enjoying yourselves together :funny:

And you dare, sitting underneath such a bunch of heavy meat, scratching his belly!
But as you said, he seemed to like to stay put on the pedestal, so it was probably not dangerous at all ;)

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:38 am 

Friday, 9th May,2008.
Today was Arthur's first day ever led out on the road. He was a Saint. Lucky for him, Sue agreed to accompany us and helped him gain tons of confidence.
The hardest part for Arthur was getting out of the field. Even though I had moved the electric posts and tape, he was reluctant to cross the biting zappy line.
We started off,
Daniel, head in the air, -pressure halter, -what pressure, testosterone seems to overcome pressure halters! So off I went to be dragged along by Danny.
Arthur avoided the 1st two salt boxes and then sniffed the third one.

I let go of Dan half way down the bank in the wood, neck ache, thank goodness someone remembered to close the next bridleway gate behind them.
Sue was brilliant with Arthur and he was a really good boy, although she would not pick him up and carry him when he got tired, and he is only a baby!

Dan did screaming in my ears every time he thought a lady horse could hear him, unfortunately he also got some replies.
Sue described him like a teenage boy covered in Lynx and hair gel, testosterone coursing in his veins and strutting his stuff for the girls...when he forgets to look where he's going and walks into a lampost.
Dan was dancing down the road with a pretty mare staring over the hedge and saying she would love to have his children, when his feet slipped and he lay on the tarmac.
Sue was kind and asked if he was okay, she was worried he might have cuts and bruises.
I thought it was brilliant and served him right. I hoped it might knock the stuffing out of him for a while, but only about 5 paces, while he was hoping the girl he was trying to impress had not seen that little incident. (And if he had hurt himself, no way I could have carried him, so he only had the carry on walking choice.)
On we went, back onto the road, past the stinky,squashed dead badger and up the bank, lots of 4x4s and other cars on the bends. We stopped to say "hi" to Nobby Dew who was working on his superb bow top Gypsy wagons. Met lots more cars, bicycles etc.
Then I did the get dragged to the wrong side of the road to talk to Hazel's horse in her paddock, before shifting out of the way for more cars.
Past Hopton Lane, School Bus behind and 3 4x4s, cars coming towards us, no verge, steep drop to the left, lots of bends in shadow, so oncoming traffic would not have anywhere to go if a vehicle overtook us.
Got to Shallows Rise where I was going to borrow the end of the driveway to allow the bus past us. Urban man who has been living rural for the last 10 years was outside with his pressure washer, cleaning his picnic tables and chairs. I shouted "Hello" and got his attention, bit of a nod, then he switched it back on full blast before Dan and Arthur had walked by????
So we walked on to the bungalows and let the really nice bus and cars go on their journey.
Nearly home. Man cutting bricks with a round saw on the right. Great, Gwynn is mowing his patch next door, Chesney is running the inside hedge and Hatty might be in season. Mares and foals opposite our gate want to chat, on the top of a hill with a bend, where vehicles forget "due care and attention" and floor it. Lots more cars and a bicycle.

Should have shut ponies in the barn before we set out, how are we going to get in through the gate without letting anyone out, and how can I open it with Dan trying to climb over.
We managed, hot, thirsty and very tired.
Poor Arthur, just when he should have had a rest, lots of galloping and getting really sweaty and staying out of Williams way, because Will thinks Jasmine is his, and she wants to say "Daddy, I missed you", and "Hi, Arthur, how are you."
Ben was sensible though and kept out of trouble.
After William had bitten, reared and kicked Dan a lot,
and Dan had sweat and blood, I figured they would be too tired to hurt each other. So Sue and I went to see her lovely girls the sensible Daisy & Ellie.

A couple of hours and a big mug of coffee later, I went back to check they were all alive.
Jasmine was showing daddy how big she is now,
by climbing up the gravel mound. Dan was as impressed as only a father can be.
I swear he smiles at her. He also fails to discipline her for chasing sheep.
I get a little worried that they insist on hanging around the dangerous areas where Steve has horsey death traps, bits of machinery, old gates, the Nissan Patrol etc.etc.
But they have settled down.
Jasmine has Dan running if she goes to talk to William, Dan insists she stay on his inside, she kicks him and answers back.
Daniel's gang is Jasmine and Arthur.
Ben is allowed. ImageWills is obviously not sweaty, he is clipped, and occaisionally plays the cheeky card, just testing, but mostly gets on with eating and talking to Ben.
Tomorrow, Jasmine gets her first outing when Amelia and me plan to take Jasmine & Ben to Byeways, Birchwood.Image
Oh, my aching limbs. Must take a ton of salt to add to feeds, and get them dettol washed off.
So hope you enjoy the pictures. Susie xx PiePony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:24 am 
Site Admin

Very nice pictures and your walk sounds like quite an adventure!

Great that Arthur was doing so well on his first walk, what a super pony! And the landscape is so beautiful. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:27 am 

:clap: :funny: What a fantastic adventure! I can't do that with Freckles - part of the lunging issue I'm trying to work through comes from ?someone? allowing him to learn to pull the line out of a humans hands and just run away ... :rambo: and Laska is too stressy with confinement but he stays close to "his" herd so we take him to areas where he can be loose.

Gorgeous pictures, and a big "Well Done" to Arthur for dealing with it so well.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon