The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:34 am 

Hey all. I have a question and I am looking for some opinions.

I have only had Shatzi for a little over a month, but from the first moment we met I feel as though she was meant for me. This past month a few strange things have occurred.

The middle of the month, I started craving chocolate. Now I only ever crave that at the beginning of the month, and usually only a few days before my "season".

I noticed that she was in heat at this time, and she and Freckles did the deed again on one of the nights during her season. After 3 days she was back to normal and I was no longer craving.

Now this past week she was bitchy to me. Glen thought that she is upset I am standing there and not paying attention to her. She has tried to take a few nips at me and other people here. While doing simple things like grooming. Or she will purposely come over to the stalls when I'm cleaning them and seem to want a groom but a soon as I start and go over her back she gets nasty. I was actually scared of her the other day for a minute. That was wednesday. Thursday, she was still acting like this but to a lesser degree and I was craving again(as is normal around this time) but not chocolate(or so I thought). Shatzi loves chocolate so I gave her a piece and suddenly my craving lessened. :huh:

I know that when 2 or more women are around each other for a while, their systems start to come in tune with each other. But has anyone else experienced this with their Mare? Am I and Shatzi more connected then I realize, or rationally think we should be after such a short time? Is this even possible for us to feel FOR each other? and not just what the other is feeling, but as if it was coming from us?

Since I have been here I have had so many insightful experiences that my brain is trying to wrap itself around. I know many here share feelings, can feel the emotions of their horses and/or can understand what their needs are and have them met to the best of their ability. But this, I feel goes beyond that point of feeling feelings.

Please, thoughts, opinions, advice? I don't want to tone down this but maybe some help on controlling it? Or rather recognizing it as her and moving it out of my way when I need to concentrate on other things?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:35 am 

I do not have much experience on this part with my little mare.
I have known her 1 3/4 yrs now and she is part of my herd since May this year, but she has not been in season yet.
And she has never been in a bad mood because of it either :funny:

But I have had similar aches as one of my horses, and we were both treated on the same acupuncture points, me by a doctor, he by a vet - so totally different persons.
So I guess that it could be possible, even though it is very quick after about 1 month already.

Vibrations are transmitted easily through the hands - so maybe on your bad days trying not to touch her too much?
Or else keep a good package of Belgian chocolate bars available :funny:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:59 am 

My mare is in a really good mood right before she is 'in season' but while being in season her back hurts, her legs hurts, she not up for well anything or anyone, I've never really thought of how our 'periodes' are combining... But our moods combine perfectly, when I'm upset there are two things that can happen, so will be perfect and really helping me cheer up, or she will be as disastrous as I am :sad:
And right now I'm trying to figure out when what will happen, çause I believe there must be a difference in me to make this difference in her. But what? :D

So really not that much usefull to say but that horses can be overly sensitive when it comes to your mood :roll: wish I could have something really usefull to say :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Admin

hummm... I love mares, especially the alpha ones. But not to live with them!
I just realised this reading your interesting observations.

Thinking of that... I think I have always been fighting my feminine side in a way.
Ralph often says I am a lot like Al Bundy :D in some ways (Guess that would make Ralph Peggy :green: )

Gina (my dog) and I had the same season a long time and she and I are the only ones to stand each other when the PMS was raging :funny:

Have to think some more about what you said... :blonde: All though I am really not helpful to you one bit :funny: , you sure are helpful to me :alien:
Always when I think I got it covered, I stumble upon something new and interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm 

I never really loved the typical mares... till I found Ruphina :roll:

The way they react on your mood can be such a fight, but nowadays I start dealing with it way better, and using it as well!
So I dont think it would be weird if you have the same periods as your mare (and the other way around), don't know how it works, but it sounds logical:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 pm 

I think it is an interesting observation. I really do believe in those things and also that such a bond can develop in a very short time. I have never experienced it mysel though, but I have never had a mare.

I can't add anything about that, but still wanted to react because of feeding chocolate to your horse. I don't know how this is with horses but I know that for dogs and cats it is extremely toxic. I tried to find information about it on the internet but I can't. maybe you can ask your vet? I have heard horrible stories from dogs who died because they ate only little chocolate so I am a bit afraid of feeding it to animals now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Amiro wrote:
I can't add anything about that, but still wanted to react because of feeding chocolate to your horse. I don't know how this is with horses but I know that for dogs and cats it is extremely toxic.

As far as I am informed for horses it is not toxic but has doping-like effects - and it´s illegal in competition. I have heard stories of people feeding chocolate to their race horses so that they can run faster... :funny: My horses aren´t very fond of chocolate and especially Titum hates anything that is sweet (except fruits), but when they got some chocolate, I never noticed any differences in their behaviour afterwards. But then they only got tiny pieces.

I can´t contribute much to the discussion, alas. I have never had mares for regular interaction before I got Pia. With Pia I am not in season at the same time, because she is in heat almost all the time since about April. ;) I also don´t really share those moods with her, because I don´t have strong tempers and in her I hardly notice anything like that either. But then she can do what she wants most of the time anyway and I almost never call her or walk up to her, so maybe she has more of those days but just does not look for interaction that much these days, so that I don´t notice it?

But nice to read about all your experiences. :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 pm 

Amiro wrote:
I can't add anything about that, but still wanted to react because of feeding chocolate to your horse. I don't know how this is with horses but I know that for dogs and cats it is extremely toxic.

I know that baking chocolate, that hasn't been cooked yet is the most toxic and its supposed to be about 1 ounce per lb of body weight but just like people every animal is different. And I only feed her maybe 10 grams of chocolate at a time and never every day.

We noticed yesterday that She is coming into heat again. She was just in heat about 3 weeks ago. Glen thinks she will sync up with me by next month. She(Shatzi) and I are the only 2 "active" females in the house hold.

Romy wrote:
I can´t contribute much to the discussion, alas. I have never had mares for regular interaction before I got Pia. With Pia I am not in season at the same time, because she is in heat almost all the time since about April. ;)
I once knew a mare who was in season all the time as well. She was a very dominant little thing :funny: But Shatzi isn't an Alpha mare. She was in the middle of the herd in her brood mare herd before I got her and shes the lowest ranking member of our small herd here. Though being the only mare I guess she is the Alpha so to speak.

Thank you for all your answers so far. Keep 'em coming! :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 pm 

When it comes to being in heat... Fina used to be every day during summer (april to november almost) but also really really in heat. I'd feel ashamed for her, and then one day off... and there we go again. But this summer... it's all different. She's had her periode like three times,they were quite bad (including an attepmt of rape almost on the new gelding) but not so frequent and not so long.
Is this a normal change because of her age maybe? Or is she finally settling down with her biological timebomb? :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 pm 

Of course I cannot reply for your mare but Gauda, my little mare, was on heat very regularly when she was still at the farm, as of 1yr old. On the other side of the road stood a stallion (Flemish horse - the very big ones), so I guess there were lots of hormones in the air.
Also the other mares were on heat every 3 weeks.

Since she arrived with my little herd of 3 geldings (1st of May this year, she was good 2yrs old than) she has never been on heat again.
I thought it was because there were little male hormones in the air now, but still I got worried some time ago that she might be carrying - I know the farmer wanted to give her a foal even though she was still very young but I did not want that.
She was quite skinny for a long time and I could not get her a bit fatter on the ribs. But her tummy was sometimes sort of hanging out on the sides (I hope you understand what I mean?), so I wondered if she was going to have a foal after all. :roll:

In the meantime she wears her tummy in a normal way again and her ribs are covered a bit better. :smile:
Now this may also be because she has got some winter fur already, but I have the impression when I touch her that she put on some weight, finally.
(She is lowest in ranking -also at the farm-, so she had difficulties getting her food properly. So when I noticed this I started with 3-4 different hay spots, so she could eat a lot better without being disturbed all the time.)

So I don't think (and certainly hope so) that she is not carrying. I want her to grow adult first and have babies later. :love:

But who knows, I did not have a vet looking at her... I might still be in for a surprise!

I know this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone have more experience with mares not being on heat for so long? She is my first one, so I have no other experience... :sad:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...