The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello Y'all!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:51 pm 

Hello! My name is Lauren and I have been doing natural horsemanship for about 9 months now. I LOVE it!!!! I am 13 years old, have long brown almost black hair, freckles, am 5'11, and am in L3 of the Parelli Program and study MANY different trainers and clinicians.... I take what I need and I don't like how arrogant they all are. That is why I like your approach :) ! Plus its cheap ;) ! I've been doing it with my horses for the past 2-3 days and I LOVE IT!!!!! I have been achieving AMAZING thing :D ! My horse no longer mugs me and He actually has a play drive w/ me :idea: ! Woo hoo! I tried Parelli and like a lot of their ideas but they don't work as well with my RBI/LBI/LBE (aka my "problem child") I noticed they work better for aggressive horses which my other horse was (kicking, biting, rearing, chasing, etc, etc, etc...). I found the forum through a blog I look at and after a couple of weeks studying the materials I decided it couldn't hurt to try. I've tried it and am now in LOVE with the program :D !

Sonny my LBE/LBI can be a very aggressive horse. He is also easily trained and my dream horse :) ! He is a 2005 bay breeding stock paint gelding. Our favorite game so far is Chase the tiger and Run with me :D ! On most nice days you can see us running around (with me screaming) and chasing EVERYTHING in sight! lol! Parelli wasn't cutting it for us because it was very repetitive and Sonny and I get bored with things AMAZINGLY fast. I like how this program moves at whatever pace you want and doesn't make fun of you if you're behind or not.

Red my RBI/LBI/LBE is my "problem child" and he can be dangerous if you don't know how to read him and you push him past one of his *many* thresholds. He is a red dun breeding stock paint gelding and at 2 years old is 16.2 hands high :ieks: ! That is why I need a program that works with less pressure than parelli and lets him decide when he's done or not. Right now with Red I am working on his trust with me and becoming more "balanced". He is the horse I have had the most trouble with because we have 2 VERY different Person/horseanalities.

If y'all want a more day by day journey on our progress check us out at http://myjourneythroughnaturalhorsemanship.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Hello Y'all!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Lauren, welcome! :)

Nice to read that you like our forum and that AND is working well for you and your horses. Sounds like you are having lots of fun with them and I am very curious to read more.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:21 pm 

hi Lauren, you are doing great already, L3 after 9 months??? Sonny must be a really interesting horse, as all LBE, he will love learning all the things here :)

and your Red, it is great that you are so aware of him, I wish I knew as much as you know when I was 13!

Have fun! I look forward to reading more about you and your horses!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:24 pm 

Hello Lauren,

A very warm 'Welcome'! :f: :f: :f:

I followed your link so I have a bit more of an idea of who Lauren is.
I think you are doing just fine and I hope you will be able to continue in such a good spirit!

It seems like you are really loving your horses, I loved the video you posted on natural horsemanship.
It should be made public on all big horse events...

Keep the good work going and hope to read from you more soon!
:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:26 am 

Welcome Lauren,
I am soo happy to see you here. The next generation of horseman are coming up behind us and it is an honour to have someone like you changing the way teenagers think about their horses.
Well done girl.......stay true to your convictions!
Looking forward to hear more from you....
There are so many people here that can help you along the journey......
Best
Annette

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 pm 

Oh I forgot to add things about me! I am a born again Christian, my FAVORITE book is the Bible, and I want to major in human psychology! I had to come up with my major soon because I'm goin' to college when I hit 16 ;)! Fun! NOT! Oh and if anyone was interested in what I want to do in life and to learn more about ME Go here~
http://walkofaith.blogspot.com/

Thanx!
~Lauren, Sonny, and Red~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Lauren,

So young and already thinking so deep and hard about your horse's wellbeing :)

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:08 am 

Hi Lauren,
I have been reading your introduction on AND.
To my own mind your Christian values will serve you well when dealing with animals. Regardless of religion or species, I try to imagine what it must be like to not have "English" as my first language, and ask myself if I were my horse would I understand the requests the human is making? (Often the answer is "no", because I need to clarify in my mind what I am asking for before making a request.)
It comes back to "Treat others as you would like to be treated."
I wondered if you had come across Gwenyth Santagate, she is a wonderful horse teacher, she also deals with teenagers who have been unwanted and runs a mission, she is also a Christian.
http://www.thepenzancehorse.com/
http://www.barefoottrim.com/
These are a couple of websites that Gwen owns, you may enjoy reading the information she offers, she teaches clicker training, hoof trimming, holistic horse care from diet to environment and alternative therapies. Gwen runs online courses from her penzance horse courses and has written many articles over the years. I think the aims you have in your blog are very Gwen like.
There is a free teleseminar this Sunday evening from penzancehorse on healthy hooves.
I have enjoyed reading your blog.
Susie xx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 pm 

PiePony wrote:
Hi Lauren,
I have been reading your introduction on AND.
To my own mind your Christian values will serve you well when dealing with animals. Regardless of religion or species, I try to imagine what it must be like to not have "English" as my first language, and ask myself if I were my horse would I understand the requests the human is making? (Often the answer is "no", because I need to clarify in my mind what I am asking for before making a request.)
It comes back to "Treat others as you would like to be treated."
I wondered if you had come across Gwenyth Santagate, she is a wonderful horse teacher, she also deals with teenagers who have been unwanted and runs a mission, she is also a Christian.
http://www.thepenzancehorse.com/
http://www.barefoottrim.com/
These are a couple of websites that Gwen owns, you may enjoy reading the information she offers, she teaches clicker training, hoof trimming, holistic horse care from diet to environment and alternative therapies. Gwen runs online courses from her penzance horse courses and has written many articles over the years. I think the aims you have in your blog are very Gwen like.
There is a free teleseminar this Sunday evening from penzancehorse on healthy hooves.
I have enjoyed reading your blog.
Susie xx

Thanx! When I read the part about not being able to speak English I had a "lick and chew" moment! And no I have not come a cross Gwenyth Santagate... I like what I see so far about her. She is a LOT like what I want to be when I grow up! I agree ;) ... I'll listen to it! Thanx... I thought my good friends were the only reading it :blush: ! I'm going to have to make sure my grammar is acceptable and I am also going to have to make sure to spell everything out ;) !

~Lauren

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:00 pm 

Human language is not horse language,nevertheless, horses have shown how capable they are of understanding communication from humans. Certainly body language and visualisation techniques/telepathy have been used to very good effect. Through Dr.Hangii's studies horses have incorporated more than 300 words into their repetoire for response.
At least as intelligent as a border collie.
Even so, a bright child will only fulfill his/her potential if exposed to good teachers and stimuli. xx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 pm 

PiePony wrote:
Human language is not horse language,nevertheless, horses have shown how capable they are of understanding communication from humans. Certainly body language and visualisation techniques/telepathy have been used to very good effect. Through Dr.Hangii's studies horses have incorporated more than 300 words into their repetoire for response.
At least as intelligent as a border collie.
Even so, a bright child will only fulfill his/her potential if exposed to good teachers and stimuli. xx

Cool! I use my body language a LOT and I think I picked it up from my horses because I've been around them my whole life ;) ! I need to refine it because sometimes I push push and push some more and that is great for my LBE/LBI because he works better under stress but my RBI/LBI/LBE I don't "listen" to as well so I push and then he explodes and anything I did good before hand goes down the tank :sad: *sigh* ... hmmmmm... You really have me thinking... I'm VERY glad I joined this forum now :D !

~Lauren

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

xxSonnyxxandxxRedxx wrote:
sometimes I push push and push some more and that is great for my LBE/LBI because he works better under stress

Hi Lauren,

maybe I missed that part in your introduction, but may I ask you what your goals are in your interaction with your horses? What relationship is it that you want to have with them? What is important for you when you are spending time with them? :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:55 pm 

Romy wrote:
xxSonnyxxandxxRedxx wrote:
sometimes I push push and push some more and that is great for my LBE/LBI because he works better under stress

Hi Lauren,

maybe I missed that part in your introduction, but may I ask you what your goals are in your interaction with your horses? What relationship is it that you want to have with them? What is important for you when you are spending time with them? :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

What I mean by pushing is that I ask a lot and expect a lot but I'll except a little... When I let him (Sonny the LBE/LBI) walk over me and don't ask him to do things he gets aggressive and "unhappy".... But when I'm constantly asking for new things he gets perky and runs around and becomes "normal" in a sense. But repetition bores us him to death! While w/ Red (RBI/LBI/LBE) repetition helps him TREMENDOUSLY. So when I say "pushing" I mean not repeating things... Does that make ANY sense? My goal is to have a horse that would swim to Hawaii if I asked it to... I other words to have it love and respect me. Which both my horses are starting to do! YAY! They now follow me around the pasture and walk up to me if they see me (even if there is yummy grass around). When I interact with a horse I a) expect respect b) try/want to have fun c) I want to be there BF! What's important for me is to have a good relationship with the horse but sometimes I get too "goal oriented". Like my change of direction, it was PERFECT for about a week I was getting flying lead changes but I was so excited Sonny could do it that I kept repeating it every time I worked with him! Now our change of directions STINK! So when I mean push I mean not repeating things :D . I hope that made sense to SOMEONE out there...

~Lauren

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the explanation! :smile: Looking forward to reading more about your interaction with them!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 am 

Romy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation! :smile: Looking forward to reading more about your interaction with them!

You're Welcome 8) !