The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm 

I have just seen a pair of Jutta Weimers DVDs Playing With Horses advertised in the Robinson's Winter catalogue at £17.50
Reading through the website of Eva and Jutta, I think the points under menu headings; My Weimers-Way, Topical and Archives, appear to be in harmony with AND philosophy, although some of the books and video work dates previous to 2004.
I wonder if anyone can offer a critique of Equine Circus Schooling, parts 1 and 2, the films by E.Weimers (parts 3 and 4 in German only, not available in English), and also on the films by J.Weimers Playing With Horses.
Do you think these offer clear instruction and complement the video's on AND?

The website page is http://www.wiemers.at/ and offers an English version
http://www.wiemers.at/englisch/index.html

An extract from the site

The general benefits:

The curtsey, the kneel, lying and sitting down, the Spanish walk and the obedient rear extend the variety of training possibilities in working a horse from the ground beyond the customary leading, lungeing and basic dismounted work.
Circus exercises are based on natural patterns of the horse’s behaviour and, therefore, they also satisfy his essential needs: to strive for security within the “pecking order” of the herd and to create close personal relationships and friendships.

Traditional dismounted work is widely appreciated and its advantages are also valid here: The satisfaction of the horse’s urge to play, the enhancement of his interest in common activities, the improvement of his ability to learn and to search for possible solutions to a problem in a relaxed manner - they all add to his knowledge of his own physical and mental capabilities and thus increase his self-confidence.
But in addition to these advantages the trainer will gain the trust and respect of his horse in an extremely short time and with an incredible intensity. The horse will experience the circus work as an offer of friendship: He will live with the feeling of being his boss' best friend. When the horse is competently asked to lie down, he may even have the same feeling of security as when he lies down within the protection of the herd. No other exercise can achieve a comparable effect for building trust and achieving relaxation. All circus schooling establishes, in a playful way and without enforcement, the position of the trainer as friendly authority, and therefore helps to create a base for further work.

The gymnastic benefits:

The general improvements in a horse's suppleness, strength and balance, all beneficial consequences of correctly done circus work, cannot be overestimated. All circus exercises, and especially the curtsey and the kneel, strengthen those parts of the equine body needed for riding most. The muscles of the chest, back and hindquarters are improved and their attaching tendons and ligaments steeled. The exercise "lying down" and "getting up" (especially from the "sit") require the most strength.

Young horses or horses out of training:

This training can begin with a two-year-old and, therefore, it is a good way to use the time until it is broken. Young horses learn easily and willingly, they are grateful for the diversion, attention and stimulation, and they are, of course, more agile than older horses. When they are introduced to the rider’s weight at about the age of three, they will be particularly well prepared - physically as well as mentally.
Circus schooling is also an ideal supplementary program for training the older or the convalescing horse. While dealing with health problems the horse will not only stay mentally active, but will also be enabled to preserve much of his physical conditioning despite the rest period.

Many thanks to anyone who can either recommend or suggest what to ignore from this DVD collection, advice in whether to save and buy or not.
Love Susie xx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 pm 

HI Susie:

With your permission, I'm going to move this thread over to the Theory: Research and Training Methods section since this is about a training method outside of AND.

(In our ongoing effort to organize, we're trying to keep this section specifically for work that AND folks are doing with their horses...)

I won't move it until you've had a chance to find this and agree -- don't want it to disappear on you! :)

And I will look more at their work!

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

As there was no further reply indicating that anyone wanted this topic to stay in the groundwork section for some reason, I have moved it to the Research Material section. Please feel free to discuss it over here! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:36 pm 

Thank you, Romy!

I got busy with other things and completely forgot about it!

xoxo
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:32 am 

No problem, I had hoped someone could tell me more about Eva and Jutta. I found reading the website pages common sense and a kind approach, so I have ordered Jutta's dvds because they are on offer in the UK. If I can afford to in the future I should also like to purchase Eva's dvd's.
I just wondered if anyone knew more since Eva has been teaching all disciplines for a long time and seems to be well respected, whilst Jutta has trained horses for vaulting she does like to use treats and build a polite relationship, as well as ensure the horse is physically and mentally prepared for any work asked.
Susie xx