The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: It took me 2 yrs to join
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm 

Hello everybody,

It took me 2 yrs, after the Nezvorov forum, that I was ready to join a forum again. Thank you for your invitation to join the forum a few yrs ago. Guess I was not ready than.
But I learned a lot the last yrs!!!
2 Yrs ago I was still having huge problems with my Andalusion gelding. He did not trust me. And believe me ... I tried it all. Parelli levels, Roberts approach, Terra Natura, and some more. I read nearly every book I could find. Nothing could improve the relationship. It only got worse. After 1 year I still could not halter Vulcano and do something nice with him. What did I do wrong!?!

But ... 6 months ago ... I found the only way of communication he loves, he understands, and he wants to do it every time he sees me. CLICKER TRAINING.
He gallops over to me, I can halter him, we work, we walk, he even allows me saddling him and standing on the mounting block bowing over to the other side. In other words: He loves everything I do with him through clicker training: Vulcano is ready for more!!! :applause:
So we started with bending exercises to strengthen and loosen his muscles. World we are coming!

But I also have a lovely mare of 13 yrs (Jumper) and since 1 month a cute Shetland mare (Anouk). Of course, Anouk has do the same exercises the big ones do. And she loves it. Is she intelligent! I surfed the internet and found the website of Miriam. Saw the link to this forum ... and here I am.

Already looked through the topics and I think I can learn a lot of your experiences with groundwork and bitless riding (I love groundwork).
Talk to you soon,
Irmgard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm 

It all sounds so wonderful!!!! A warm welcome to the forum!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm 

Irmgard,
Welcome here from me too....
Where are you from?
Your story sounds so similar to mine and I think a lot of us here.
What is great about AND though, is that although we share the same values we all have different paths and are here to support and discuss with one another.
I hope you will feel at home soon....
Best
Annette

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 am 

Fantastic, so glad you are here, Irmgard

You wrote something that triggered a memory for me. And reminded me of some horse experiences in my past. Also Carrie, another poster here, though posting in an entirely different forum, brought this up just today.

Dogs, yes, I said dogs, have a highly complex communication system. As predators that have to wrok more or less collectively that's understandable.

But then so do prey animals. Thus they have a language they understand, but for the most part we only understand a very little and use even less. I whinny quite poorly, and my wuffling is so accented I think it makes my horses laugh, or grimace. :roll: :funny:

I cannot help but wonder if your horse, your Andalusian gelding (I have a mare and filly, Andalusian) simply was not willing to try and learn your "language," and then you found one language so direct, so simple, so clear, he must have thought he'd died and going to the great horsey pasture in the sky.

I found clicker training to have a similar powerful effect on my mare, a 13 year almost continuous pasture ornament that could see humans only as annoyances and the food bringer.

She is slowly growing attached.

Your victory, your success with your gelding is very inspirational. How nice to have you here. Can we see some pictures? We love them, and videos too.

Donald, Altea and Bonnie (Bonalaria)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm 

Thank you for your warm welcome. It is a good feeling that my story sounds familiar to some of you, and we all want a gentle solution. A lot of people around me think I am completely nuts that I keep on trying for so many years. But, every step I come forward is the :applause: and :yes: that I did the right thing for me and my horse(s).

I am from the Netherlands, and still trying to work at my profile. But sometimes I changed something, and did not know how I did it and cannot trace it :ieks: Sounds perhaps also familiar to some of you? Hope so.

I am reading through the groundwork part, and must say it is very inspirational.
Irmgard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:32 pm 

Hello Irmgard and welcome :). I have joined this forum fairly recently too and have found it a wonderful place :f:! I look forward to hearing more about you and Vulcano, Jumper and Anouk. I too love clicker training and groundwork. I've never heard of Terra Natura - could you tell me a bit about it please?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm 

he he :funny: I still don't have my photo in my profile!!!

I am sure you are really going to enjoy being here and get excited about the things you can do with your horses that are new and fun. There is soooo much reading here, and honesty and openess........

I'd like photo's too..... :D

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Irmgard!! :) :)

Nice to have you here and I hope you will enjoy the forum.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:40 pm 

A very warm welcome from me too, Irmgard!

My experience is that my horses as well as I have learned so much over the last 8 yrs, but sometimes getting a real outcome is only like a 'click' away ;)

I wish you lots of success on the rest of your journey! :friends:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm 

Thanks for the new welcome words.

To Orangehoof:
Terra Natura is a Dutch trainingcenter. Natural horsemanship, but a more intuitive approach. They give courses, private lessons, riding lessons, communication with horses.

I learned a lot from them, from Parelli and from all the others. They all have certain things that I can use with my own horses.
What I find is the most valuable thing I learned the past years in general, was that I should not judge but look and observe my horses, treat them as individuals.

I have the feeling this is a peaceful forum. Therefore I am glad to be here.

Irmgard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Irmgard.

Great the time is now right to join!

Welcome!

Kind regards

Bianca