The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 am 

Glad you like it Josepha! :D

And THIS is a good point Leigh:
Quote:
Sue can dance with the wild one because she knows her so well and because this doesn't scare her.
Absolutely! Ella plays chase with Harlequin, with him on her heels at a flattened ear canter, and she has no fear.. because they 've been doing this since he was a bubby (for fun not food), and they have their mutual repertoire of language and signals and rules that make it safe and fun for both of them. I "work" with him a lot, because he's a bit boisterous for her during training (gets frustrated easily), but I NEVER let him out of my sight when he's behind me, because he scares the pants off me in Chase mode! We don't have this language! :funny:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:43 pm 

Hey Sue -- just watched Sunny again and she just cracks me up!

She's like a rocking horse who's literally bounced off her rocker! What a great dance.
:funny: :funny: :funny:
:f:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 am 

For my dogs, I am just a bit scared because they tend to play the tiger game on their own when they see the dog... :rambo:
Not always though, but that is just the tricky point.

I know they also do this with hedgehogs, which I than find all flat on the field :sad:

Anyone knows how to teach them my dog is not the plastic bag they can just stamp on with their feed?

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:43 am 

I would say if dogs are in the HORSES living room, it's the DOG not the horse than needs to learn the rules.
We have seven dogs. In my vid, you can see one golden retriever being chased out. He is NOT one of our dogs - he is a stranger, and rude and ignorant of horses etiquette requirements, so while he was staying here, they did a very good job of teaching him how to be more polite and thoughtful. The other dog being chased is my young new dog who thinks that horse chase games are GREAT fun... He's had to learn to play by rules, and they don't behave as aggressively towards him as they did towards the retriever, but they do still put him in his place if he gets too crazy. Dogs can move a lot faster than hedgehogs, so they be able to learn fairly quickly what kind of proximity and attitude will be tolerated by different horses, without being in too much danger. My other dogs can all move around under the horses feet, because the horses know them, and these dogs are polite, head down, moving quietly, not aggressively, move when told to by horses.. so they can safely graze on hoof clippings and manure! :funny: I think if you try to protect the dog from being chased by the horses, he won't learn to understand the horses language of proxemics (how close is okay, and how to understand which horse signs mean "move away a bit please".) But dogs are VERY good at learning other languages.. :D .. so my experience is if you give them a chance to learn the horses signals, they can understand very quickly how to adapt to living with around horses.
Cheers, SUe

I have not sought the horse of bits, bridles, saddles and shackles,

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:09 am 

Thanks Sue,

We are trying to get them to know each other better.
I agree the dogs have to learn not to bother the horses and it is getting better and better.
In the past they rarely came around the horses because they were staying at a farm with so many of them and it was just impossible to keep it in hand.

Now we have our own prairie and that makes it easier to control, the dogs as well as the horses.
But I am just always scared that something really serious would happen to the dogs if something would get out of hand for whatever reason.

We will need much more practice I guess...

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...