The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Barefoot saddles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:44 am 

One day it may occur to saddle makers that they need to have changable padding for the bars (panels) that tilt the seat incrementally from a raised front and lowered back (pommel to cantle) and of course in the reverse direction.

Few horses are exactly the same level end to end along the area the saddle sits.

Additionally, and likely even more importantly, they will discover that rather than a single short "bar," hanger for the stirrup leathers, there should be a long bar with separate notches, one after the other, along the bar to move the stirrup leather along to position the stirrup from forward to midline to rear, possibly five positions.

It's so simple, and the materials needed to do it, super strong, light metals such as titanium, and fabrics such as kevlar or carbon fiber filled stranding for strength and wear, are now "off the shelf," items. The technology to handle the materials for fabrication of course also exist so any custom configuration a saddle maker wished to order up for his or her line of saddle products would be available.

I own, for instance, a few pieces of rope line, only one quarter inch in diameter, a composite of various exotic fibers, that will hold up to 16,000 lbs. No, that's not a typo.

It's used now for, among other things, rigging in set construction for movie and video productions. A rigger is my neighbor and gets it as discards. I won't use it with horses for the simple reason it is too thin and too strong, but one can get it in strap form for things such as saddle components of one wished to.

And no, I'm not inclined to become a saddle maker, but if I knew one close to me I'd be happy to work on development. I did once in the distant past on cutting and reining horse saddles and see near copies today, 40 years later, to my design then. No one, up to that time, had ever seen a level seat on a western saddle, nor a "pocket," (lowest point of the seat) centered between pommel and cantle so the rider sat forward a bit off the cantle. No one had seen knee rolls, "blocks," under jockeys on a western saddle either, but I had them installed.

That neither I nor the saddle maker patented those features has been of much regret to me. :roll:

They are everywhere today in these saddles.

I trained many a green horse under that first prototype saddle. Now I consider it old fashioned. But the reining horse world seems to like it well enough, some of them at any rate.

The saddlers, especially today when going to "treeless," or very flexible types are trying so hard and must needs be even more creative.

Think about that stirrup bar that has four or five positions along it's horizontal plane, and a saddle that can be, and lock incrementally in many positions, made to rise in front, drop in the rear, or drop in front rise in the rear and how much it would benefit not just the horse, but the rider as well and the greater number of horses it would fit...almost any horse for that matter.

The CAIR system, for instance, needs to be expanded upon, conceptually, to other parts of the saddle for other effects. It is, of course, meant to be part of a rigid tree system if I understand it correctly. Why not a treeless or very flexible tree?

Lots more experimentation is in order.

Donald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:10 am 

I was wondering if anyone has checked out or seen a W.O.W saddle.

Apparently every part of it is interchangeable and the cair panels can inflate and deflate as needed. What I like about the saddle is that the frount of the saddle moves as the shoulder moves.

These to me are really expensive but have been thinking about getting one for a while.

Anyones input would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:30 pm 

i have only seen the saddle on a horse event, and have sit on it. a saddle lay on a wooden rounded box so you could try it.
i feld quite soft for my bottom, but how it works when the horse move? i dont know.
the theorie behind the saddle seems nice. but very very expensive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:50 pm 

Wonderful to hear from you Donald. I am getting ready to come see you next summer for the AND camp out you are hosting.
The stirrup bar you refer to is available on a treeless saddle, but I have forgotten the brand, I will try to find it.

This is my first experience trying to fit a down hill horse and fixing the seat was so simple and cheap!!! But I'm sure there are them what does it proper that would disagree. But at 59 I need to be secure, and a happy pain free horse is a safe horse.

Geraldine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:26 pm 

This website shows how to fit a treeless saddle and reviews a few different types of treeless.
http://www.freewebs.com/alternativehors ... eeless.htm

These are not cheap but informative website and saddles for all disciplines.
http://www.solution-saddles.co.uk/index.html

Danny's saddle is an older style barefoot london, actually it was made by saddleking in India where copyright does not apply and is very well made, where 30 years or more ago an Indian imported saddle would have been a waste of money.
I have a pad something like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BROWN-TREELES ... 7C294%3A50 without the knee rolls.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/shop-tree ... QQ_armrsZ1
often has a range of saddleking products.

We also have an Equistation treeless endurance saddle, looks a little icelandic in style with narrower twist seat and rolled panels under the saddle.
And a Nexgen Acugel saddle pad
http://www.nexgen.co.in/technical-features-acugel.html

Lots of variety in styles and price. xx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:12 pm 

briskgo wrote:
Wonderful to hear from you Donald. I am getting ready to come see you next summer for the AND camp out you are hosting.

Sounds good to me. I'll likely have a holding pen or two by then as well. Let's plan on August when we are planning on having Josepha come to do some clinics.

Geraldine wrote:

The stirrup bar you refer to is available on a treeless saddle, but I have forgotten the brand, I will try to find it.

I find that there is a two position stirrup leather hanger/bar on the WOW saddle as well. I wrote up a nice complete post on that saddle, even linked some pictures in, and three or four references about the WOW but it seems to have disappeared. I'll have to try again.
Geraldine wrote:

This is my first experience trying to fit a down hill horse and fixing the seat was so simple and cheap!!! But I'm sure there are them what does it proper that would disagree. But at 59 I need to be secure, and a happy pain free horse is a safe horse.

Geraldine

Totally agree with your views on security. Are you using the Barefoot?

Donald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:26 pm 

I'll try again.

There was a question about the WOW saddle, and air suspension system, and I did some lookups etc. and posted a piece on it with links, pics, opinions by those using it, etc. Seems it disappeared into the electronic universe and is gone. So here is my second try.

These links include one from a forum where a number of people discuss the WOW saddle.

http://www.newrider.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-102590.html

You'll find here that the cost is about £1,500, and for those curious, you can convert £ to your own currency at:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/ (for myself it would be 1,500.00 GBP = 2,449.78 USD)

I'd have to say that I've spent nearly that much on a saddle in the past though my current budget would preclude such a purchase today. Now if they'd like me to test the saddle for them ..............

And here a customer review by an owner:

http://www.horsetackreview.com/review-display/3643.html

Here too, a fitting how-to page for WOW from the company itself:

http://wowsaddles.com/wow/nosaddlefitter.htm

And here are three pictures of the saddles:

Dressage http://wowsaddles.com/wow/wowclubdressage.htm
Jumping http://wowsaddles.com/wow/wowclubjumping.htm
General Purpose http://wowsaddles.com/wow/wowclubgp.htm

There are some interesting and provocative innovations here. I'd have to sit one to say one way or the other how it worked for me.

Anyone here ever tried one, or own one now?

Donald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 pm 

Yes I am using the Barefoot, the upholster did not do a perfect job this time on the seat padding, that will go in on Monday for a re do.

August will be fine, for the AND meet and clinics. Hope it's around the 22nd my B.D.!!!!!!!!!!! What a great present for myself.

So how is your new Mare coming along? Starting with a new horse has been very humbling. Even a lovely quiet fellow, I have just misplaced all of my courage. Had him two months and haven't cantered yet.

I do miss my beloved Briskgo.

Geraldine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

briskgo wrote:
I do miss my beloved Briskgo.

Have I missed someting, is he dead? If yes, I am so sorry for you. It must be so hard to lose such a wonderful friend. :pet: :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 am 

Just two weeks ago, wind blew branch falls on fence rail down the driveway at midnight. I am so grateful no one was killed. The donkey and new horse are fine, but still grieving. I expect to see him walk around the corner of the barn any time. Thank you for your kindness

Geraldine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 am 

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Brisko. You miss him terribly it's clear.

The pain of loss fades with time yet the memories of good times often grow stronger.

Hugs, Donald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:34 pm 

Briskgo is gone????

Oh Geraldine....I'm so, so sorry....

:sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:49 pm 

briskgo wrote:
Just two weeks ago, wind blew branch falls on fence rail down the driveway at midnight. I am so grateful no one was killed. The donkey and new horse are fine, but still grieving. I expect to see him walk around the corner of the barn any time. Thank you for your kindness

Geraldine

just for you.... :pet:
a little help in these hard times. give it a good place in your heart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:29 pm 

I have a question if any of You tried new Barefoot saddle - Lexington? It looks better than London, but its not in Poland yet, so I can't test it. I can't decide between Lexington and normal tree saddle Zaldi Roma de Lux.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am 

Barefoot Cherokee - can anyone share their experience?