The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Cordeo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 pm 

I am probably really thinking well ahead but with Kiwi in particular I do not see why I couldn't do some work with using a cordeo on him.

So my question is, what can I use as a cordeo? I do have some spare lengths of rope from what I use to make rope halters. Would this be ok to use? It's very good quality Poly rope (yachting rope) which is nice and smooth to the touch but would it be too narrow or too harsh for use on the horse as a cordeo?

Eventually I would like to purchase a "proper" cordeo, but for the time being, would the rope I have be ok to use?

Many thanks and any advice on this very welcome

xxx

Post subject: Re: Cordeo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

I have no experience with rope, but as long as it's tick and soft... should be fine :)

I love leather or faux leather... why not put a ring between to old reins?
That would work fine as a cordeo :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 pm 

The halter rope should work, but it should be the soft kind...that bends easily. If it's very stiff, it might not feel so nice.

People use their Parelli strings...and those are quite thin (but not always long enough). If you have a length of rop and a ring, you can tie both ends of the rope to the ring and ta-da!

I use old reins, and I even buy old reins a tack sales where people sell their old tack. I love the feel of very worn reins!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 pm 

I never so much as thought of using a pair of old reins, silly me.

Have lots of them lying around so will use them. Will be much better than halter rope for both me and the horses I feel.

Thank you both :thumright:

xxx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

i use this
it is made of cotton in any size you wanted and almost any colour. there is also an extra ring so you can make it smaller or wider.
it is handy to get my horses out of the field also. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 pm 

Inge- Beautiful cordeo! Did you make it yourself? I love the big thick cotton ones! :yes:

Any piece of rope around 6' long (for an average horse) works for me. I saw one made by someone braiding about a dozen pieces of baling twine together, I thought that was very cool.

One day in the far future I'd like to make a 'real' cordeo. I want one about 1 1/2"-2" wide either nylon or leather, beaded all over and rolled at the top for your hand. They are beautiful. I'd be very time consuming, but easy enough to make.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 am 

they can be make in any colour or size you wanted...tho not all colours but a lot :D
i have sold some to the US also. Belgium, France, UK......and over here in the Netherlands ofcourse
they are on my website www.bitloosrijden.nl ( the webshop is also in english)