The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm 

Hi Everyone,
It's me :green:

For those of you who have no idea who I am, here is a link to my first ever thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1947&p=36585#p36585

It's been absolutely ages since I have been on here, been so stupidly manic with one thing and another. SO much has changed since I last came on.

Business is going well. I am slowly building up my client base now, although still not as busy as I would like to be, especially this time of year. I have a Trade Stand at the Whole Horse Weekend Event this coming Saturday so most of this week is being spent getting ready for that.

Horse wise, well. Some of you may remember my little Section A pony Dylan, well I made the heartbreaking decision to put him out on Permanent loan back in April. He has gone to a very dear friend of mine who will have the time to do so much more with him than I had. The plan is to back him (he's 3yrs now) for her children to ride, also train him to harness and continue with his showing. He is doing really well and settled in fantastically.

Now, I still have my Kiwi Monster, nothing would part us. He is doing really well. Took him SJ last month which was great and also XC last month, again very good day. He's having a bit of a break from work at the moment, not totally, he is still being ridden but I have backed off a little bit as no competitions lined up etc. I have just purchased a lovely Western Bridle for him and am planning on doing some western work with him, see how he goes.

Chunky is still with me. Lovely as he always is, looking superb and just so chilled out and loving life. I did start a diary for him with clicker training to help with re halter training him. Due to other commitments I didn't keep this diary going but the clicker training was a success and I can now put the halter on him without any problems at all.

You may also remember Lady, the Section D filly me and a friend purchased from Auctions? Also another part bred colt called Sparky? Well they are both doing well. They are living with my friend and I have "opted out" of the arrangement me and my friend had so both belong totally to my friend now, but I have heard they are both doing very well.

Ok, I have two new arrivals since I was last on here. Firstly I have Abbey, an 8yr old Welsh Section D x Irish cob mare. Abbey stands at around 14.2hh. Abbey came to me through EMW (Equine Market Watch) which is the charity I work with. Abbey was rescued by EMW when she was just 6months old, totally feral. EMW brought her up, backed her and had her working beautifully under saddle. In 2007, Abbey went out to a loan home which basically didn't work out, but it wasn't until early this year that problems with Abbey and her loaners came to light. EMW had checked Abbey in her home, as they do every horse belonging to them, and nothing was apparent. The loaners also never told EMW of any problems so nothing happened. When it did come to light what was going on, EMW removed Abbey and sent her to me. To cut a very long story short, when Abbey first came to me back in February, she was very much a "rearer", in hand and ridden. Riding wise she would be fine for you to get on, but as soon as you put your leg on, she would run backwards around the school, totally backward thinking. Now, we are starting to work on our Canter. Abbey is going well on the flat in walk and trot, we do have some issues with Canter but every time I ride her we have progress :green: The high likeliness is that Abbey will remain with myself permanently as my second horse. Oh and Abbey is ridden, bitless, treeless AND barefoot.

The latest newbie is an unregistered section A called Lewyn. I rescued him about a month ago and paid the meesly sum of £80 for him. He was in emaciated condition. Gelded as a 2yr old, he was then turned onto the common to fend for himself. Lewyn has been sold to me as a 6yr old, totally untouched, but I am not so sure. He has definitely been handled in the past, but signs he is showing tells me he has been terribly abused. I am not so sure he is 6yrs. He is definately between 4yrs and 6yrs but I think closer to 4yrs.
Lewyn has come on fantastically in the last month. He has put on weight, him immune system has built back up and he is just fantastic. Leading him is easy, catching him is easy as long as I have food lol. I have lunged him twice in the last week, just for 5mins which he is picking up really well. I can now groom him and I have trimmed all his feet. Lewyn ADORES clicker work :green: and is responding very well to it. The plan with Lewyn is to bring him on and back him when he is ready, no rush and then find a nice home for him. I am aiming him towards becoming a LR pony for small children.

So, onto some recent pics for you as I know you like to see pictures lol

Kiwi;

Chunky;

Just to remind you of how he looked when he arrived back in November 08;

and now;

Abbey;

and Lewyn;

How he looked on arrival (pics really don't do justice how thin and poorly he was :evil: );

and now;

and I can't leave my little blonde bombshell Taboo out;

So, that's my update and that's my gang :love:

Thanks for looking and I hope all of you are as happy and well as me and my mob

xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 am 

hi there :D :D :D it is very nice to meet you. i love the pictures of your grey. i love the difference especially in the eyes. your first shot was stressed and unhappy, then the later shots were of a very kind gentle looking horse. his eyes really speak. he reminds me of a rescue i had, (unfortunately too late :sad: ) but a special sole that had the kindest eyes. you horse there is so similar it is spooky!!!

anyway. i will go over your other post soon, i can only go over little bits at a time. ;) but it is nice to meet you, and i will catch up soon. :kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 am 

Hi Sam,

Great to see you here! I'm new to this forum, but 'welcome back'! You've really got a great bunch there - and they are so lucky to have you to take care of them.

Hope you have a great time at the Whole Horse Weekend!

Cheers,
Shannan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:19 pm 

Hey Sams good to see you back. (can't see pics so will look again when I get home ;) )

How is the wonderful chunkz??

Oh yes....I forgot to say...Happy Brithday for the other day!! :f:

It's also great to hear that Abbey is doing so well and improving!! She's a sweetie.

Make sure you take lots of pics at the Whole Horse Weekend. YOu'll have to start a thread about the day!! hehe!

Take care of yoruself and hugs to you and your beasties!

xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 pm 

Thanks all for the warm welcome back :thumright:

Jessplum - Sorry to hear about your rescue :sad:
Chunky (the grey) is just the kindest horse. He wouldn't hurt a fly he really wouldn't, such a gentleman. Just goes to show how forgiving these beautiful animals really are doesn't it. When I think back to everything Chunky has been through and how he is so so kind now, it breaks my heart.

Shannan - Thank you for the kind comments. I am very lucky to have such wonderful animals around me, as we all are :cheers: I'm very much looking forward to the weekend, will be a great event.

Celtictotem - Hi Jo, long time no speak lol. Chunky is wonderful thank you, I know he's your fave lol. He's a bit on the fat side to be honest but it's lovely to see him blooming. The pics don't show very well but his palomino dapples have really come through now love him.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes, was a good day. Went to my sisters for a BBQ the Saturday night and had a lovely time allbeit drunk too much lol.
Abbey is coming brilliantly, I am thrilled to bits with her. She's very much a "typical" section D bless her but we get on so well. I think that's down to the fact we are so similar. If I was a horse, I would definitely be an exact clone of Abbey :funny:
I am going armed with the Camera to the Whole Horse Weekend, I can't wait. It's going to be a hectic weekend and I am officially "working" BUT I am dragging mother along to keep an eye on my stand when I go off to look at things lol. I can't wait to see Simon and Obama with their saddlechariot, I HAVE to see that one.

It's great to be back everyone. Hopefully I won't disappear again lol

xxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 am 

Hey, Sams.

Good to hear from you again.

You have made a huge difference for Chunkz and Abbey and Lewyn already - good job! Keep on keeping on, OK?

I'm waiting for the pics from the weekend, and yes - Simon and Obama sound really cool.
:D

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:15 am 

Hi Glen,

I think I best take a couple of memory cards for the camera and plenty of batteries lol :funny:

xxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 pm 

Welcome back Sam!!! :cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Welcome back!!!!!!! :D :applause: Unfortunately I can't see the pictures :huh:

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Ah I can see them now :D :D SOOOO CUTE HORSIES!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:34 am 

aww thanks everyone for the warm welcome back.
It's great to be back :cheers:

xxx