The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 pm 

Hi everyone! I have been reading your wonderful information for the past few days and decided I needed to join your community here. I was both amazed and inspired by what I've read so far.

A little background about me: I am 40 years old this year and originally had ponies/horses as a young girl growing up in America. When it came time for University, work, marriage, family, etc. my time and energy was diverted to those other things. I moved to England in early 2000 and there are lots of horses around where we live (not far from Winchester). A friend of mine here also keeps horses, so I started to rekindle my interest. When my friend got a young (3 year old rising 4) horse and said that I could look after him and ride him, I was over the moon! (Well, I haven't been doing much riding, as I don't really believe that 3 years old are mature enough to be carrying weight.) But I have been doing some ground work with him. Mostly this is 'free schooling' type work, but some is with a lead rein.

I was really surprised to read the first exercise here, as I had been doing that and similar things with my horse. He was not easy to catch when he first arrived, so (to make my life easier, and his life less stressful) I spent an afternoon that I had free with him in the field. I didn't try to approach him, just stayed nearby and mirrored the things he was doing. After a while, he wanted to come to me. We slowly worked up from there: I would go to him and he wouldn't trot away, I would then walk towards the gate where I had his food and he would follow me (all of this was obviously without a halter or lead rein), soon he was trotting with me in the field up to the gate, recently, as soon as he sees me (or I call to him) he will trot up to me and we have a play running around and in circles, etc.

I love just spending time with him!

A bit of background on Honey: He was sold as a '4 year old' - but by looking at his teeth, I believe he is yet to be 4. He still has his baby teeth side incisors, and he hasn't shown any sign of 'wolf teeth' coming through. He was harness trained at an early age and was regularly trotted on the roads. (I worry that this may have done damage to his developing bones, but so far, he has always been sound and shows no sign of any pains.) His nature is so very sweet and he is willing to try whatever you ask of him. (One of the reasons why I have been cautious about asking too many things of him!)

In my view, he is a one in a million horse, and I only want to do what's best for him. I look forward to learning more and more ways to develop our relationship together!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:19 pm 

Hi there Shannan,

Welcome to AND...I'm sure you'll find loads here to keep you occupied! :green:

SO where do you live? I'm from Southampton so not that far from you from the sounds of things. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey with Honey....have fun!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:15 pm 

Hello, Shannan. Welcome. This site does seem to attract like-minded people, who are none-the-less all very different in the practical application of the ethical sameness we share.

Gosh! I'm not sure where that sentence came from :ieks: I'll shut-up now. :funny:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 pm 

welcome from me too!
I hope you will have a lot of fun discovering the world with Honey!

big hug
Barbara

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:20 pm 

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I'm still busy reading through more and more thread here - and I haven't even gotten to the training diaries yet! I must say, things seem so well organised, it really makes it easy to get right into things!

Celtictotem - I'm in Colden Common, which is just next to Twyford. Its good to know there is someone from here so close by!

Glen - Thanks for the welcome! I agree that its great to find a place where people seem to share a world view, and that that view is so strong and solid that it can accommodate the differences. Each person and each horse is different, so there is a need for variation!

Barbara - I have a lifetime ahead of me with Honey, and I'm looking forward to every minute of it! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Shannan!

Nice to have you here!

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Shannan!! :)

I am looking forward to reading more about you and Honey.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 pm 

Welcome here Shannon.
We all think we have the one in a million horse....and we all do! :)
Looking foward to your journey with Honey.
Best
Annette

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 pm 

Welcome! I too am new here, just arrived a couple of weeks ago and I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful place this is and how amazingly helpful and non judgemental the people here are. I am sure you will enojy it as much as I do.

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures with Honey.

Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 pm 

Thanks again, everyone! What a friendly bunch of people you are!

Josepha - Your work with horses inspires me!

Romy - I hope to update the diary that I started here on a regular basis. I love taking photos of Honey, and there always seems to be something that Honey is learning - one of the joys of a young horse! They have so much to learn about, and I feel privileged to be able to explore the world along with him!

Anenette - Yes, you're right of course! The funny thing is, that I wasn't looking for a horse, and hadn't had any intentions of getting a horse - I'd been so long without one. But after getting to know Honey, I just knew he was the one for me and I could't let him go...

Heather - I am sure I will enjoy it very much! I am learning so much reading through the information here... Thanks for the welcome! My Honey is part Standardbred as well (3/4 Standardbred, as his dam was pure bred, and his sire was half Standardbred and half a native cobby type, possibly Connemara? but I'm not sure)!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 am 

Colden Common...blimey you are close. I'm in totton so only about 20 mins from you.

:green:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:30 pm 

Wow! Yep. If you ever fancy coming over to play with me and Honey, let me know!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 pm 

Hello Shannon, let me too welcome you. I see you have already found out something about the environment and its richness and comfortable climate of seeking.

Let me add that this is due in no small part to originators of this forum, and to the ongoing efforts of our moderators. I'd say, "Dear Moderators," but I don't want to have them think I'm buttering them up. :funny:

You have quite a treat in store for you when you get to the Daily Training folder forum. It seems, at least to me, that that is where "the action is" so much of the time. At least on a day to day basis.

There is an accumulated wealth of knowledge in other folders, but for events that can only be called wonderful, the Training Diaries are terrific.

Donald, the old man, Altea and Bonnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:04 am 

Welcome from the resident Mule Nut! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:29 am 

Quote:
This site does seem to attract like-minded people, who are none-the-less all very different in the practical application of the ethical sameness we share.

Glen, what a COOL sentence! LOL!! I LOVE it!

Shannan,
WELCOME! I'm glad you found us!

JIngleJoys, I've been away...do you have photos of your mule here somewhere????

I saw one on tv once doing dressage...very nicely I might add!