The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm 

I got to be an expert at yanking ticks when we lived in Kentucky -- walk through the woods or fields and they were everywhere, and every dog you saw had them. Then lived in Massachusetts, which has even bigger tick populations and big Lyme disease issues, so I became a rabid tick hater...

And I discovered the TRULY gratifying way of killing them (yes, I do have a bloodthirsty side) -- dropping them on a gas stove -- they pop!

(Ewwwwwwwww....)

:twisted:

L.
(Still giggling, Glen...) 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:14 pm 

:funny:

Or, if you're a smoker, you can fetch an old "stub" out of the ashtray and knock the last few bits of tobacco out and pop the tick in. Then hold over a flame - they go "pop - ping!" like a miniature fire-cracker. It's one of my hubby's endearing li'l ways ...

:rofl:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 pm 

How vicious you both are! :twisted:

I normally also put them in the open fire and wait for the popping... :rambo:

But when I said you cannot kill them, I meant: if they just leave the horse because of the lavender smell and simply drop in the grass...
I guess the lavender should have to work more as a prevention rather than a cure.

Nobody any experience on that matter?
Luckily over here we do not have thàt many that I could prove it to myself it works. :smile:

ama

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 pm 

Hi everyone:

Post my tick-yanking and popping post, we started a heartfelt and challenging, but I think really powerful, conversation about how we navigate talking to one another, where our boundaries and expectations are, etc.

At Donald's brilliant suggestion, I have moved that conversation to its own topic:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2615&p=48336#p48336

You may now return to your regularly scheduled tick management conversation and giggles about Freckles here, and please accept my apologies if my tick-dispatching post was offensive to you.

Or come and join us and talk philosophy on the other thread...

Thanks and best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:14 pm 

Hmmmm.

Well. It seems my "kerfoofling with the winkie" privileges have been withdrawn since I have been spending so much time down there :funny: it now disappears right quickly if I even think about having a look :funny: :funny: I guess that the final few tick-colony members have a few days reprieve. :rambo:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:31 am 

Glen Grobler wrote:
Hmmmm.

Well. It seems my "kerfoofling with the winkie" privileges have been withdrawn since I have been spending so much time down there :funny: it now disappears right quickly if I even think about having a look :funny: :funny: I guess that the final few tick-colony members have a few days reprieve. :rambo:

Old trick for causing the penis to drop and drawing a urine sample from a male horse (don't know if it works on females). Most males will then urinate:

Take a smooth stick or riding crop, and rub the horse's belly just forward of the sheath opening. Most horses will drop with this stimulation. All race track grooms, and grooms for competition horses where urine is collected for drug workups know about this.

Many folks learn this, some less calmly than others, while grooming and deciding to get that belly clean and help the horse shed hair.

You can use your hand, if you are brave and unflappable, of course. :funny:

Donald

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm 

Hey Donald, guess what? Your idea to put petroleum jelly up in Freckle's sheath was marvellous.

:funny: It didn't do much about the ticks, but it has saved me a sheath cleaning ... :clap: he's now all smooth and shiny in there :love: :funny:

I am slowly getting the ticks out of there - the hard way :rambo: one at a time but I will give him his scheduled de-wormer next week. :rambo:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:40 pm 

Quote:
Well. It seems my "kerfoofling with the winkie" privileges have been withdrawn since I have been spending so much time down there it now disappears right quickly if I even think about having a look

Completely unladylike raucous laughter at kerfoofling with the winkie!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:whew:

Glen, you are priceless!

xoxoxoxox
L.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:42 pm 

Donald Redux wrote:

[...]

Old trick for causing the penis to drop and drawing a urine sample from a male horse (don't know if it works on females). Most males will then urinate:

Take a smooth stick or riding crop, and rub the horse's belly just forward of the sheath opening. Most horses will drop with this stimulation. All race track grooms, and grooms for competition horses where urine is collected for drug workups know about this.
[...]

As I thought about this I remember too reading somewhere, possibly even here at AND about this little "dropping on demand," trick. I certainly can't and don't want to take credit for dreaming it up. :roll: :funny:

What I remember someone else saying about this was that the grooms would whistle as a cue, having trained the horse to drop by just the whistle.

Now THAT is a funny sight to imagine.

:funny: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:21 am 

Freckles usually drops easily. Actually, he still does. :funny: It's just that he now whips it away any time he thinks I might need to poke around in there a bit :funny: :funny: :funny: I think I did too much too soon but we'll get it sorted soon. I did get some of the ticks out, and I continue to get one or two every day so I expect to win through attrition if nothing else ...