The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hola from Mexico
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:38 am 

Hello Everyone,
WOW, am I ever glad I found this site! Just came across it almost a week ago and have been reading volumns, so think it's time to introduce myself. My name is Pat and I'm California born but have been living at Lake Chapala (near Guadalajara)Mexico for the past nearly 27 years. I see that there are people here from all over the world and will now gladly be a representative for Mexico. I love the camaraderie and support I see with all of you people, no matter what level someone is at in their journey.

I have two horses, Dakota (8yrs) is a regular Mexican horse whom I've had for almost 4 years, and Magnum (5 yrs) is a gaited Rocky Mountain that I bought 1 1/2 yrs ago in Kentucky. They are completely opposite in personality. When I was a little girl, I promised myself I would have a horse some day. I did have one other horse who long ago crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. But I consider myself a real novice.

Tho I've had my horses for a while, I feel my journey is really just beginning. I got the Parelli Level 1 and 2 paks just before Christmas and just before they changed the program again. And while I do appreciate having "something" to begin with, always felt that something was still missing for me. I added the "Clicker", having had a background in dog training with it, and THAT's when things really started to change. But now I just read (thru this site) about Carolyn Resnick and so now am starting the Waterhole Rituals. Problem is, the field I have been using across the street apparently has been sold and the fence removed, UGH. I have a scant 30ft area inside my property, tho not ideal, will have to suffice till something better comes along.

I so look forward to being part of this group and enhancing the connection with my horses!!!

Pat

Post subject: Re: Hola from Mexico
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 am 

Hi Pat,

I'll bet you'll have some interesting stories to tell about your horses. Do you have photos or videos of them?

I'm Donald and though myself California born as you, I've not live there in over 50 years.
I'm lived and traveled mostly in and on the Pacific Rim and the Pacific Northwest.
I look forward to reading more about you and your horses.

I currently have an older Andalusian x Arabian(1/4) mare and her 11 week old filly of similar breeding.

Donald

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:43 am 

Hello Pat, and welcome.

We have another Rocky on this forum - our poster-boy for the site :D I think thy are just the best-looking horses ever. What kind of horse is "Mexican?" Surely it would have a significant amount of Spanish?

I hope you are happy here, and I am looking forward to sharing your stories.

And yes, we'd love some photos.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 am 

Hi Pat and welcome to AND. :D

I'm sure you will love it here and like the others have said....do you have any photos?? lol I'm a sucker for looking at other people's lovely horses! lol

Welcome again! :f:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:11 pm 

Hey Pat, and welcome!

I'm in SoCal -- in the Ojai Valley in Ventura County, to be precise...so am sorta kinda a neighbor... :)

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your gang -- one of my best buddies has a Rocky and they're SO spiffy!

And I'd love to hear more about Dakota -- Spanish? Thoroughbred? Mustang? Something in between? I've seen Mexican horses in my neck of the woods that run the gamut from high stepping Paso lookers to "get it done" stocky Quarter Horses who don't bat an eyelash at anything...

Obviously, we need pictures! :funny: :D

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Pat! :)

Great to have you here and I am looking forward to reading more about your horses - and seeing pictures of course. ;)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 am 

Oh dear, I've tried to get photos in here, but simply don't know how. The cut and paste method will not work and I don't know why. I've only embedded photos in email by clicking in XP. GGgggrrrrrrrrr

Thanks to all who welcomed me to the group.

Dakota, my Mexican horse, is under the classification of Criollo, which is like a mutt or mixed-breed dog. That's the only way I can describe it. He is a very dominant LBI with more "whoa" than "go", but we have a very strong bond. I was told by a prominent vet a couple of years ago that he was dangerous and that I should get rid of him. He gave him the diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia. That was after he stitched up his tongue from a real bad cut in a shanked snaffle while being ridden in the hills by my trainer's heavy-handed son. Apparently got in a big fight when he wouldn't "go" forward somewhere. The kid had scratches from the bushes. And that morning the trainer (who is soft-handed) had said he tried to jump out of the round pen while being worked. I didn't buy the diagnosis cause I could touch him all over, including his face. I felt it was a bit problem. (Found out later that there was still a deeply imbeded wolf tooth that since has been removed.) So I researched the web and came up with the Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle and got one which he goes mostly fine in, tho I haven't had a lot of time to ride him much (was under construction). Then started with Parelli to increase my relationship and when I added the clicker, made a huge difference!

Magnum DOES look a bit like Lasuria's Nirvana, only without the big QH muscling. He is the opposite in personality to Dakota and wants to move it out FAST. They are both good-natured and like people. He does what I ask and is very light, but not with the softness I am seeking. But that's a relationship thing that I have now just started to work on after a very spook-filled ride. I felt he just did not have the confidence in me he needs to feel safe.

I do have a few photos, but not many as I lost 8 months of photos in a computer glitch and stopped taking them. Also I had bought a new Sony H9 for it's big zoom while in Ky. But when I got home, the zoom didn't work. Argh!\

So if anyone can instruct me how to get pics in here, I shall send them.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:30 am 

This link will take you to instructions.

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138

It's a matter of placing your videos and photos somewhere that has web access. I use Photobucket, for instance.

Or if you have a webpage with embedded photo and pics, graphics, you use the same technique. Use the link to the picture, within the codes, viola, you will have it.

I so look forward to seeing your horses.

Donald

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:04 am 

Well, I've been at it far too long and all I've seen is the address, but no pic. Maybe will imbed when submitted????? Went and joined photobucket. Here goes (with my fingers crossed).

Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 am 

Well WOO HOO, it worked! Tho I see I need to resize in the future.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 am 

Here is Dakota, but it's like 4 years ago soon after I bought him.

one more

unfortunately he's lost most of his mane on the dang barbed wire on the field across the street that I just lost the use of, so maybe it's a good thing.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 pm 

Oooo...gorgeous. Both of them.

And the gear.

Being originally from California and growing up around vaqueros (Kern County, Tejon Ranch area) who often were so poor such gear as yours were prized beyond monetary value, and passed down in families for generations, they make me drool. Literally. My mouth watered when I saw the saddle on your red horse.

What fabulous color in your horses, especially Magnum, I think it is. What a beauty.

Thank you for sharing them.

Have you looked yet in the Daily Training forum folder? Seems to be mostly were the action is (though other forums are busy too, and some extremely rich with knowledge and data).

Isn't this a fun place?

I was a professional for over 20 years, in my youth :yes: 8) , and I believe that in the year or so I've been reading, visiting, discussing, exchanging, here at AND, I've learned at least as much, possibly more as I did in those preceding 20.

Some of the work on collection, for instance, changed my views entirely. Rather than "frame" the horse with legs and hands/bit, as I'd been taught, condition the horse into collection from the beginning without "framing," aids and as much or more with groundwork as with mounted. How to "ask," rather than demand and force.

That alone is worth so very much.

Nice to have you here.

Donald

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 pm 

Hi Donald,
Thanks for your comments. Your little filly is a beauty herself. Andalusians are real popular down here.

Yes, that Mexican gear looks nice, but it is not mine. Those saddles are way too heavy for me, not to mention uncomfortable for my small frame. As a matter of fact, I decided that the western saddle I had been using was not fitting my horses and neither did the Trooper I bought in Ky. The Trooper was comfortable with a cushy seat, but it sits up too high on the horse and I'm trying to get a "feel". I really liked it when I did a bit of bareback. Neither complained a whole lot about saddle fit, but the more I am on the web, the more I learn. So I took wither tracings and both horses turned out to be virtually the same and very wide. I finally just got a synthetic Abetta with Arabian tree. That was another reason I was not riding horses much. It's no easy task getting stuff down here in Mexico. Have to always rely on someone to bring it in from the States.

Yes this IS a great fun place. :applause: I haven't been in Daily Training yet. There is soooooooooo much info here. I'll check it out today.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm 

Yes, I remember those saddles as very heavy. And struggling to get one up on a horse as a kid. My own roper style was much lighter. But not nearly so glamorous.

I'll be interested in your take on the Abetta saddle. Why did you go to the Arabian tree? Can I guess that it's wide barrel, but high withers?

Or did I get it wrong?

I have similar in Altea, my Andalusian mare.

Let me know how that Abetta fits and works for you as well.

Is your problem one of finding things in the U.S. that you want and need, or is the shipping the big problem?

Donald

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:50 pm 

Oh my word, they are just gorgeous. Thank you for the pictures. :D

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon