The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:56 pm 

My name is Dani..I have been reading here for the past 2 weeks or so..and have been reading a lot.

I have done horseriding for years, then quit for a number of years because it wasn't as fulfilling anymore. I picked it up again in December (after 6 years), but again felt something was missing. I then decided to find a horse to take care of a few days a week, thinking that was better than riding at a stable. The horse I found, is now going to become my own next month. She is a 7-year old welsh cob mare, and I connected with her right from the start.

She is definitely not an easy horse, so very quickly I began with groundwork, moving more and more in the direction of AND, the more I read about it.
Honestly, by just reading what people say here I feel incredibly humbled. Like there is so incredibly much to learn, my horse has so much to teach me, and I don't know if I am capable of learning it all from her (and from trainers, information here, etc), if I will be able to take us, as a team, to our very best.

At the same time, I feel that given her character she is better of with me than with a lot of other people (no arrogance intended!), and that taking it step by step, giving it time, we will get there. Together. :)

And it has given me a goal. In just a few weeks I have come to love groundwork, more than riding even. I look forward to each day of working with her, watching her run beside me, performing little tricks and loving it, I love watching her grow and learn.

It all may sound a little 'too much', but I'm just excited I guess, haha. Anyway..I hope to learn a lot from here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Dani!! :)

Looking forward to reading a lot more about your adventures with your horsey! :smile:
Oh, she sounds wonderful, I just love Welsh cobs.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:28 am 

Welcome Dani

Love to read more about you and your horse

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 pm 

Welcome Dani,

Oh I'm another who loves groundwork way more than riding :yes: I spent ages trying to convince myself that I love riding, but now, I can feel happy to say that I feel way more in the clouds running with my horses on the ground, it's just such fun, it sure beats the pants off rideing, for now anyway ;)

Ilook forward to seeing where your groundwork takes you!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 am 

Hi Dani,

I'm the one that directed you towards this forum if I'm not mistaken (via an other forum)! Glad you decided to stay here!

Groundwork is great, I hardly ever ride anymore, people might think it's strange but the connection I feel growing on the ground is just not there yet when I ride.
As long as we're having fun!

Nice to see you here!

Kirsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dani!

Great to welcome another Dutchie!!!! :D
Are you joining us for the AND summer meeting?

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:49 pm 

There is an AND Summer Meeting? Tell me when :D

Thanks for all the welcomes, btw.

I can enjoy both riding and groundwork. It really depends on Dafner (my horse) as well..I tend to focus on one element at a time, so if the riding goes well I do a lot of riding because I am excited and want to improve. Then after a couple of days Dafner is done with it, and objects to it all :P
So then I focus on groundwork for a few days, then riding again.

I do try to alternate them better, haha, but I get too excited when something goes well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm 

An AND summermeeting in Holland? I might wanna join to (I invite myself this way)... when, where, why? Well, we know why, when and where?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:11 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1872 :cheers: