The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Hi from South Africa
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:07 am 

Welcome Blue,
I am away a lot and when Im here try to catch up with whats happening on the forum. This time I come back and we have an ostrich :applause: :applause: How wonderful :D I really look forward to hearing more about your work with your horses and other animals, why you decided to use the clicker less, and please, when you have time some photos (although I hesitate to ask as my contributions are minimal :blush: )
Colette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi Blue and welcome!

I am so interested in the Ostrich and your horse of course too!
Maybe we'll meet in November!

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 am 

Thank you so much, Tlove, Glen, Donald, Colette and Josepha. :f: :f: :f:

I am sorry I didn't noticed that there were so many replies on this .... (don't even know how it is called!!).

I've tried to put an avatar but couldn't find how to do it. And I saw that Donald explained how to post pictures on Jessy's daily topic. So eventually I'll get there!

Josepha, please let me know details when you are coming to South Africa. I really hope to meet you. I can fetch you at JHB airport if you need to and you can come and stay with me while in Gauteng.

But I've been reading a lot and practicing. I love all your pictures of course especially the ones with Bonnie.

The first thing I did is play "chase the tiger". I had to take it easy with George as he get scared easily. I used the clicker so everytime he would touch with his nose I would C/T then I started moving slowly and C/T. Eryn was watching. So when it was her turn, she touched it, I clicked and wanted to treat but the tiger was more interesting than the treat. I started running and we had the best fun ever. When I turned she would jump and play rodeo then I would run in another direction, it was great.

This morning I took the tiger out again and I could run without George getting scared. Really great. But when it was Eryn's turn, she started bullying me and was a real nuisance and I thought I would try "taking territory" as in the waterhole rituals of Carolyn Resnick. So I put some lucerne on the floor, moved in her back and ran as far as I could agitating the whip. She never moved an inch. So I went back and I really had to think how to do this. I couldn't run any faster or move the whip with any more noice. So I thought the only thing I can change is my determination. That's what I did and it worked!!! I did this a couple of time and always controlling the food. She became very interested in me. I then open for George to join us and just sat there as they were eating, but Eryn came a few times to check on me.

If I didn't use the clicker anymore, it was because it is forbidden with NHE and I thought I would give a try as NOT being a trainer but really work on the relationship. What I think at the moment is that I'll use whatever I think will work at that time, without ever hitting or putting too much force. This morning it is the most force Eryn ever had and I won't do it again if there is respect on both side. So I'll go with the flow and learn like that. I really appreciate this forum as it is so open minded and because of it there is so much information. So thank you all! :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:10 am 

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: oh Blue, it is great, you sound so alive!!!!! :funny: not that you wernt befor, but now you sound like you are enjoying yourself. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: a relationship cannot be built by following a strict outlined path with people making you feel bad along the way. imagine any human friend likeing you because you followed someones step by step on how to make friends. this doesnt work, :love: :love: just because someone says that his is the only way to have a "true relationship" doesnt make it so.

it sounds to me that you are being friends again with George and Erin, and having fun!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: clicker/ no clicker, treats/ no treats......who cares. to me, it sounds like you have a TRUE RELATIONSHIP and share a deep love with your horses, dogs, ostrich.......you are an amazing person and i am so happy that you have found yourself. i feel like it is similar to in the wizard of OZ. you always had it!!!!! you just had to believe in yourself!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

i really cannot wait to see pics, but i know that it is tricky to work out. have you got photobucket? if so, i will help if you want. but you do everything as you can. no rush! i am just so happy that you had such fun. isnt it GREAT!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29 am 

Thanks Jessy. :love: :love:

I agree with you, it is a lot about trusting myself. That is why I like being with animals so much, I really learn about myself too.

A problem I have at the moment is not enough time :sad: I would like to participate more on the forum but usually when I finish reading something I have to go and do something else and don't answer. Watching videos is great but also time consuming. And it doesn't look like I'll catch up ever as there is always so many new things to read!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:39 am 

i think that you will be fine, as you are already ahead of so many people. you have a great knowledge of training with the clicker with exotic animals, i think that you already have the knowledge and skill there.

i know about the time thing. i have so many horses i have to work, that i dont get to play with my favorites, (i know that i should not have favorites) but i have to get things going here, so i have no choice.

videos are awesome. i cruise you tube till the late hours of night, i subscribe to everything that has something interesting that i could learn in it. i have a pretty big range of vids that i have subscribed to if you ever want to have a look. some clever people. :love: :love: :love: i like messaging them too and people are happy to email me and discuss what they are doing. so i am a big fan of videos. :love: :love:

anyway, i think that you will just suprise yourself with what you can do after even a short time. :f: :f:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:11 am 

Quote:
A problem I have at the moment is not enough time :sad: I would like to participate more on the forum but usually when I finish reading something I have to go and do something else and don't answer. Watching videos is great but also time consuming. And it doesn't look like I'll catch up ever as there is always so many new things to read!!!

Blue, I feel your pain. :yes: :sad: I've been insanely busy these last two weeks and will be at least until Ray is back from Germany on Wednesday. I'm getting frustrated because I don't have the time to read or write here much right now, but it's ok, the time will come when things calm down. I'm so glad that you had such a great time with your horses and am looking forward to learning more whenever you can share it. :f: :f: At times like this I'm so thankful that I have my animals as companions, even if we don't "do" much together. They have so much to offer. Tomorrow I get to help a lady who wants to use her new dog as a service dog and I think that's mostly what I'll talk about in the first lesson, how much we can benefit emotionally from learning to communicate with our animals.
:cheers: :cheers: :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:35 pm 

Trying to download pictures.

This is Eryn and some blesboks

Daisy and George

Could someone help me with the Avatar? I have tried with shrinkpictures.com but still haven't managed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

What´s your problem with the avatar? Can´t you resize the picture? Can´t you upload your avatar? Something else? :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 pm 

Oh my goodness, your place looks idyllic for horses and what beautiful horse........and a gorgeous ostrich too :l:
Colette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 pm 

Hi Romy,

No, I couldn't upload the avatar. I was also having problems with my computer because there is not enough memory but it is going to be upgraded tomorrow, it is so slow at the moment. Also I did resize but wasn't sure what to chose at it says 70 by 70. Is 70 the size? Or 140? May be after tomorrow it'll be OK.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:55 pm 

Hi Colette,

Yes I love this place. Of course on the pix there is no ticks, which I am fighting at the moment and it is full of cobras. We live in a "snake triangle"!!! The horses seem to be OK with the snakes but I've heard of horses being bitten. May be by now they have learned to be carefull as they have been on the property since Oct. 07.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Blue,

try this: http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... r_jump.jpg

This is an old avatar that I once used, so in principle it works. If it does not work for you, it´s probably a problem of your computer or forum settings. If it does work, you can send me your avatar and I will upload it to my photobucket account so that you can use it from there.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:24 pm 

Thanks Romy for your help.

I just received a message from NHE that my account has been blocked because I am writing on the AND forum and because I wrote that I've left their forum!!! It's really like being spy on, strange feeling. It doesn't change anything for me but I wonder what they are so afraid of, also why do they waste their time here???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 am 

hi there Blue. i LOVED seeing some pics, i have missed your beautiful pictures :love: :love: :love:

about the avitar, once it is shrunk, it needs to be put back onto your computer, then loaded onto photobucket. then you can put it in avitar, i think that is how i did it. if you are having problems with this, you can send your pic to me, and i will shrink it and put it on my photobucket for you, then you can gt it onto here. :yes: :yes: :yes:

oh, do not worry about NHE. it is truely sad that they feel that they need a cult like following for their forum. it must be that they feel threatend about people actually learning! i have a very strong feeling that i know exactly who the spy is, and it is sad that she is wasting her time, because people are going to these forums and theirs because they want to improve their relationship with their horse, and to become a better person for their horse also. so by banning people they are actualy being hypocritical ;) ;) ;) you cannot lecture people on changes they must make, and then punnish them for seeking out information on how to do so. as they seem to feel that they have the holy grail and they wont give anyone information till they are sure that they worship AN. is he afraid that people will become better?

also i wonder why people think that every horse and every person needs to learn exactly the same way? i question the actual horse knowledge that they have in thinking that theirs is the only way. as my beliefs are that there are a million ways to rome. every horse i spend time with is unique and requires that i think in a different way, and use a different method of communication. as long as it is all kind, i cannot see the harm in this. horses are not a car or motor bike and cannot be trained with a manual! :funny: :funny: :funny:

anyway. i do not want to sound critical. but i am sick of the amount of peope they are hurtine, especially those that do not know about this place, and are now left in the cold. :sad:

anyway, i am so truelly happy that you are here