The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 am 

I saw a picture of it when I went and did my research. Oh, I just want to go everywhere!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 pm 

:green: me too :green: and that country have more wonderfull places ;) take you ours and 1000 or more of pics :funny:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 am 

Oh, Annaliese, I just found this topic!

Glorious, glorious, glorious...

:l: :l: :l:

Magic lens lady!
:applause: :applause: :applause:
:bowdown:

:)
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:19 am 

OOh! Thanks Leigh. I don't think I have ever gotten the purple bowing down smiley before ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:34 am 

Annaliese, they are just gorgeous, and so sharp!
With what kind of camera you are shooting?
Did you hade some eduction about this?
I would love to have pics like that of my (futuure) foal, but we don't live near a forest :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm 

I am actually a professional photographer, and was a serious hobbyist for most of my life before that. When I found my riding mentor from my youth and we were catching up, I told her I'd become a photographer, and she replied, "Well, you always were the camera girl."

As for cameras, I shoot a big Nikon pro DSLR. But, any good camera will do. Yes, in fact, more than the camera, it is the knowledge behind it which creates higher expectations for pictures. But, I firmly believe that everyone can take great pictures of their horses if they take just a little time to learn, practice, think and then shoot shoot shoot! There are a few books out about photographing specifically horses, the one I know is Photographing Horses by Leslie Groves. It is targeted to beginners, but reaches a good solid level.

I thought of a funny comparison: asking a photographer what camera they use to make great pictures is like asking a trainer what saddle they use to do great training. :funny: I think my brain will be running all day with this and all the limitless places it can go (artist/brush, ballerina/pointe shoes, musician/instrument etc.) Good tools are great, but they only take anyone in any field so far. (and, no offense taken - I'm just playing now :smile: - and revealing where some of my interests lie... :yes: )

I am starting a horse photography blog that will be attached to my almost done photo site. I invite you (and everyone) to ask questions there. I am happy to share my knowledge. http://equigraphic.blogspot.com Please drop in! Ask questions! Let me know what you think! There is also a really neat chart of basic exposure control already up there that is the simplest representation of exposure and its influences that I have ever seen. While manual exposure might do it much of the time, it really does not at other times. I felt it so important, it was one of my first 3 posts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:29 pm 

My site, long promised, really is nearing completion. My hubby (talented illustrator designer that he is http://www.leemoyer.com), did my logo. There are many iterations, but I think I like this line work one the best:

Post subject: While I am on a roll...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm 

I do not think I ever posted this. It is a magazine I recently had an image in, full page. That is mine on the right. The lovely Rhubarb. A classic ase of making lemonade out of lemons. A muddy, drecky Oregon winter day and then I made it into this. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:53 pm 

sorry can not do see a pic... :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 pm 

Rrrr.... it is showing for me. Perhaps the computer deities will take mercy and let everyone see it eventually. I have had that experience before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:14 pm 

who knows... :green: i hope with you :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:26 pm 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tj5LubLQ0lE/S ... re%2B2.png

There is the URL above. Now and then these more complex URLs won't render for the browser used. Mine would not either.

There is a little trick you might use to get around it.

Hover the mouse pointer of the spot where the image should appear, usually in AND the word "Image."

Right click, and chose to copy.

Place that copy, by pasting, to the address field in your browser, and hit Go, or your browser's equivalent.

Your browser will likely, because the Image Locator resolves to a graphic format, in this case jpg, ask you to pick the program you wish it to open and of course choose from your own computer programs a graphics program. It should auto download now and open in your chosen program.

In this case it's an interesting study of ... well, I'll let you find out for yourself. Suffice to say though that because it does not open in a browser, but a graphics program, the buttons offered aren't active and won't take you anywhere. Of course, that's not the point in this particular graphic.

Annaliese, as usual your work stuns, and does it by the subtle contemplative nature of contrast of color and light and dark.

That will stick in my mind for a long time, I'm sure.

There is a chance the image address broke at the first html command [img] ---

That too will kill it, so let's see:

Nope, won't render. Well then ...

Of course there is yet another way. See if it will render the html as an URL. A link.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tj5LubLQ0lE/SWvUmATPrUI/AAAAAAAAACo/kQBX4eknUtE/s1600/Picture%2B2.png

Nope, it simply asks you to download, and presuming it's not a virus generator (and I've already been there so I can assume it's not AND it's from a trusted source, Annaliese) one simply can download and view, as I did.

Donald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm 

And I see the one you posted, too, D. Crazy interwebs!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:59 pm 

Ah yes, I too can see it now.

So many things determine rendering including speed. I had not checked the file size, something I usually do when I experience any trouble. This one is tolerably large, but not exceptionally.

Traffic also can slow loading. Time of day of both departure point and arrival point for transmission matters because a business day simply has far more traffic. Then too there is the problem of down routers and rerouting traffic.

Currently there is a very malicious "zombie," generator out there, and being up to no good, has taken over millions of desktop computers, just like yours and mine (and possibly even now, yours and mine) and uses this cluster (huge cluster at that, so big it's referred to as a "cloud.") to send out spam, or do other nefarious work.

All that uses immense amounts of bandwidth simultaneously. Thus the slowdown.

Had we all waited a sufficient time possible the graphic would have finally displayed on our computers.

The originator(s) of the zombie army effect is being hunted all over the world and eventually they'll catch him or them. I'm hoping for a public hanging, personally. I intend to be there for it and cheering.

The Internet (The Web, really) would be a far more enjoyable place without these thugs and criminals.

On another topic, but still OT to this thread: My veterinarian and his folks want to view all the pics.

Bonnie is growing fast. One month and 2 day sold now and I can't get her off the ground to immobilize her for a couple of shots we want for her health. We selenium poor in this area (the entire Northwest in fact), and foals do better if they get a little boost to start off. Plus some A and B. Naturally Bonnie disagrees with the concept of injections. And makes it plain. Ouch.

She still can't contain herself on the little back meadow, and runs and turns until she finally slips in the mud. Then up and at it again. After a more successful run she goes to her mother and rears up to make her point and emphasis her wonderfulness. Altea seems pleased without being effusive about it. I presume she was much the same herself.

In fact I have a picture of Altea, at around 1-2 years showing Altea wildly galloping after her mother. Like mother like daughter.

On the subject of Altea. This little lady has lead the most boring and uneventful life (until we came along, that is). She knows so little.

Our nephew visited with him family over the weekend, and he says he rode Altea when she was with that part of the family. And that she really didn't know much and didn't care to, for that matter. That's boredom, if not being intimidated. We know very little of the training prior to them acquiring her. Only that it had to have been minimal ... hardly touched.

So her life has been long periods of POB (Pasture Ornament Boredom) interspersed with being pushed around by humans (loaded and hauled, moved here and there, then left alone again) and two foals for at least something happening in her life.

Alread, just with simple groundwork I can feel her getting a little curious, but there is still that, "I'll just stand here until they ask me to do something, then stand here until they make me do it," attitude. Not defiant by any means (Oh how I would like to see that kind of fire in her ... I like defiant horses), but simply overwhelmed and given up, I think.

I circled her to Bonny's little brushy jump, and Altea simply trotted through it. Not even the semblance of a hop over the limbs and branches. I thought I would cry to see such lack of interest. And of course she's out of shape too.

I keep looking for successes for her, then darned if I don't forget sometimes just for my own convenience or whim.

I had been taking her out to the road and stopping there to let her decide which way to go. She knew there were horses and a little stream in one direction, and in the other elk, llama, sheep, goats, and our friends who love to come out and see her. So there are destinations for her.

Well, yesterday, with this stupid virus cold, I overruled her, and did not go to the left as she wanted, (she barely asks with just a little turn of the head, one way or the other) to see all the animals and people, and I went right. This choice I made just for the quieter pace and lower stimuli for myself. She looked so sad. But resigned and went along. I'll have to make that up to her today.

As Kate says, she's quiet and companionable when you walk her. Phooie!

With the weather breaking I can finish my fencing runs where we can play more, and hopefully get out into some other places where I have room to play with her and let her explore more on her own and lead me around. I do it on the roads a little, but that has a few hazards. We'll now, while the weather is good, be able to go on paths and dirt roads.

She's treat oriented so I am going to reward her for independently choosing anything at all on her own.

I think there is an ember in there somewhere. There is something in her eye, deep deep inside her. I'd like to bring it to a flame and see what happens.

Maybe Bonnie will show her. Maybe I will.

Best wishes, Donald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:09 pm 

Donald, when you said
Quote:
And that she really didn't know much and didn't care to, for that matter. That's boredom, if not being intimidated
, I was sure your "in-" word was going to be "institutionalized". The horse equivalent? AH well, Belle knew more when I met her, but she had much the same detached attitude of her world. She came around. I know Althea has an ember in there, it is just a matter of what sort and what it wants to become and how to help it along. You and Bonnie are the creatures for the job!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next