The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: getting rubenesque horse
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Like me, my horses are far from rubenesque.
Now I am not sure if it is the fact that I am half sicilian/half belgian... but... I am obsessed with rubenesque horses.
For instance, I love Evita's shape, even though Bianca tries to trim her down for her own good.

My boys are slim... Far to slim for my taste. And I feed them sooo much! the lacking of grass is of course a huge factor in this, I know, but it can not be helped for now.

And I also know, that the fact that they get skinny after each winter de-toxes them...

But still... I would like a rubenesque shape, this spring...
I like big butts and I can not lie... :D

Who has tips for me?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 pm 

Josepha wrote:

I am envisioning you puttering around the barn singing this ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

I do :green:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:02 pm 

I love that too :)
That's the reason I bought Beau, I fell in love with his butt, I cuddle with it a lot, a big butt hug :)
I don't have troubles with getting a bodybuilding pony, so can't help you. But my dream still is to own a 'real' rubenesque horse ;) because Beau is sometimes funny: short legs and a fat butt and broad shoulders :) but it is at least cute...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm 

annaliese wrote:
Josepha wrote:

I am envisioning you puttering around the barn singing this ;)

And I'm having a Shakira "My Hips Don't Lie" image....

:funny: :funny:

And, oh, my little Circe has the cutest round apple butt! All the boys love her...
:yes: 8)

:)
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Josepha, maybe I could give you a bit of Summy´s as he is constantly ways too fat. ;)

Sorry, I have no useful contributions to make, but I am looking forward to the replies too, because I have the same thing with Titum who is underweight most of the time, especially in winter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:42 pm 

sorry no help form my either. My ponys get fat from air :funny: :funny: :funny: would love to see them smaller. Specialy by the shoulders.
And the little one, when he is running his belly goes from left to the right :funny: :funny: :funny:
need some training too...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 pm 

Monty is getting a very rubenesque behind and like Barabara I hug it alot...well it is the biggest bit of him... :blush: . If you want a lovely bum on a horse get a Welshie! Other than that I cannot help, although I can give you tips on getting a rubenesque riders behind....too much chocolate and biscuits... that is why I cannot have a slim horse, as mine is a little bigger than I would like. :ieks:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:41 pm 

No serious suggestion from me either. My Mirabell is rounder than my legs allow.
How about some implants? I told you I wasn't serious. :funny:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

hummmm, implants... is that expensive?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:30 pm 

I don't know, haven't done any research in that field.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

why should you, seeing as your horse is already Rubenesque :roll:

:D :D :D

:alien: Guess I just have to wait untill I have grass galore...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 pm 

Curiously the people with rubenesque horse are always trying to slim them down, and the people with thinner horses are always trying to fatten them up! Maybe it is a balance in the world. :) Sometimes I would rather like to be able to indulge mine more to get them fatter than always having to be taking food away to keep them thinner. It is a nightmare when we have grass as a mere smell makes them fat and at risk of laminitis, maybe we should swop horses in the summer, so when you have grass yours are there and when we have grass and you don't ours can go to you and yours can come to us, like a horsey student exchange! :funny:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:56 pm 

I have a similar problem. After owning many cobs and knowing the difficulty they have trying to lose weight you'd think it would be easier putting weight on. My biggest problem is trying to put weight and muscle tone on. To put weight on, feed lots and little work. Put muscle tone on, do correct work up hills and such. The two seem to contradict each other. It's only been a month since HL started having two meals a day but it has helped a lot, I just wish the grass would some through quicker so I don't have to go down in the mornings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 am 

ohhhhh i totally understand!!! Big boy is not a beautiful round shape, but he always looks underweight. i feed and feed and feed. one thing that i find helpful is to add breeder cubes to their feed.

i am pretty sure that every country would have some type of this, but it is a specially formulated mineral rich extruded grain feed that is extreamly healthy and really helps the muscles bulk up. because it helps the foal grow and the mothers muscles, i figured that it would be also good for horses that had problems gaining weight, and it really is.

also, some horses not being able to graze constantly develope stomach ulcers. apparently when a vet scoped a number of random horses he found that over 80% had stomach ulcers.

a horse has to have grass going throught that stomach almost constantly. when it is not possible i like to use chamomile and slipery elm powder in their feed, you would be amazed at the difference and the weight gain on this!!! :D :D :D :D

i have done random checks by putting horses on this mix even if i was positive that they did not have stomach ulcers, and i found that they all picked up amazingly. so it is a regular thing to put them opn now when they drop condition or they are new. no harm in trying huh ;)