The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Jess :)
Well, the reason of you never seeing pictures of my training is because I barey have time to train with my own horses. During the day I run my shop Equihof, and during the evenings and weekend my alter ego teaches lessons and clinics. I feel like I train with everybodies horses but my own...
I train perhaps once every two or three weeks... :sad:
And then Ralph has barely ever time to take pictures... (And in winter, he only comes outside if it is absolutely neccesary :green: )

Still it showes that AND training does not have to be done every day. :)
As it is the horse who comes up with it, he can not forget it can he? :green:

I am looking forward to having more time after we sell our house and move.
Equihof will become only an online shop then, So I can have more freedom during the day and play with my boyzz :cheers: :love:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:43 pm 

Quote:
I feel like I train with everybodies horses but my own...
I train perhaps once every two or three weeks... :sad:

Josepha,
I can relate to that so well because it happens to me with training other people's dogs. Both my dogs and my horse sometimes get the short end of the stick, but you are so right, even with occasional training they still make progress :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 pm 

Quote:
feel like I train with everybodies horses but my own...

ohhh, i really know the feeling. when i had a school i felt like i was not ever having a chance to play with my own horses. people used to say to me "oh, if you can help like this with our horses, how must your horses be, oh we want to see you and your horses" but the horrible thing was that i was know where with my own personal friend!!! :sad: :blush: i barely had a chance to brush her!!! i spent ever most my time helping rescues, teaching or looking after my children.

now i dont have a school and i can play myself, i feel like a child!!! i am so excited to be able to give myself and my horses quality time. i hope that when you move you too can have that happen for you. ever one needs playtime! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

but yes, it is wonderful that even if you dont play often, it is such wonderful training that the love of it lasts!!!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:09 am 

This is not meant to be rude, patronizing, or insulting. I hope you do not, either of you, take it this way.

There is an answer to your problem that you missed. And you missed it because you like giving service, to nurturing and helping others.

You were not asking for the pay you deserve.

But this I mean that you, and a great many people in fact, try to set their prices "fairly." They look at the market, likely trying to set a middle range for their prices, or lower.

The fact is, and it will always be, that good artist, good artisans, good teachers are not being paid adequately until their price has reached the point that their number of students drop because of being unable to afford them.

How do I know this?

I have not only counseled others on business decisions (consulting) in various industries, but I have suffered exactly the same syndrome myself.

My own prices for teaching are too high for my area, and thus I rarely have students. Of course I don't make enough to live on, but I most certainly DO have time for my horses, and any special students I wish to tutor.

I once was teaching up to 75 or more students per week. Children, adults, young people in highly competitive riding. And one day I collapsed. Because I was also running the 150 horse barn I was teaching in, running two riding goods stores, and supervising a staff, 7 days a week, 14 to 16 hours a day.

I left it all, and learned my lesson, and spent an idyllic year with my wonderful quarter horse and a little herd of mares and their foals. And oddly enough, at about the same pay as when I nearly killed myself with overwork.

If that is what YOU are doing, stop. You have PAID YOUR DUES ALREADY.

Josepha, I cannot wait for you to move to warm country where Ralph will be more comfortable, Where you will have time for yourself and your horses, and only enough students to make YOU feel good about your work. And where you can take time to write, and dream, and expand out into your world further.

Please don't make it too long. Please. Soon?

:friends:

Donald, who also hopes, but does not put on pressure (much), that you will be able to take time to travel, and that your destination at some time will be where I can meet you and Ralph. I have a guest room waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:10 am 

Quote:
You were not asking for the pay you deserve.

But this I mean that you, and a great many people in fact, try to set their prices "fairly." They look at the market, likely trying to set a middle range for their prices, or lower.

Donald,
I strongly agree in one sense and am very glad you raised this. I disagree in another (I think, if I understood you right) . I have definitely made the mistake many times to charge too little to "fit in the middle of the market", which in our area is low, but on the other hand my greatest pay is the positive results I get in the animals and people I can help. So, I guess I often don't work for the money but the satisfaction that a job well done brings. I do think it is very wise counsel to set ones fees higher and then rather lower them on a case by case basis, because it is often true that people don't value what they don't have to pay for. Also it keeps one from "burning out" helping people, which will in the long run keep us from helping anybody. I guess to me it's "love your neighbor as yourself", you can't do the first without doing the second. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 am 

oh Donald!!! you are so spot on it is scary!! :ieks: :ieks: :ieks:

Quote:
I once was teaching up to 75 or more students per week. Children, adults, young people in highly competitive riding. And one day I collapsed. Because I was also running the 150 horse barn I was teaching in, running two riding goods stores, and supervising a staff, 7 days a week, 14 to 16 hours a day.

I left it all, and learned my lesson, and spent an idyllic year with my wonderful quarter horse and a little herd of mares and their foals. And oddly enough, at about the same pay as when I nearly killed myself with overwork.

this was my life too. everything that i earned i put back into my herd and family, and i just worked myself into total insanity. at the end, i went a little nuts, and locked myself in the car :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

i tried to set my prices according to the economic market of the area, and it was the country, so i was working for 1/3 of what i should have been working for.

but i have done the same, i have moved down here and i am now rehabilitating with just two students, and alot of foals!!!! :love: :love: :love: it is very wonderful to rest, i feel almost recovered and it is 8 months later!!!!

i will have to talk to you later, as i want to start a small business and do some clinics again, but i am terrified that i will fall into the same trap again. it sounds like you are full of some wonderful advice :kiss: thankyou :kiss:

Post subject: Afternoon nap time
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Nappie time :love:

Two awake...

One still fast a sleep... :love:

And what horses can do... Cats can do better!
or so they say... 8)

Post subject: Re: Afternoon nap time
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, they are so sweet together!! :)

My horses mostly only take afternoon naps when it is warm and sunny, so I guess I will have to wait some more weeks before I will see something as cute as that on my own paddock.

The picture of Lucky and Spike is totally gorgeous, too. :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Romy wrote:
Oh, they are so sweet together!! :)

My horses mostly only take afternoon naps when it is warm and sunny, so I guess I will have to wait some more weeks before I will see something as cute as that on my own paddock.

Thank you! I must say, it was quite a nice day, 15 C and sunny with no wind! :) Warm enough for the boyzz after we had minus 20 two months ago and nothing above 5 C ever since...

Romy wrote:
The picture of Lucky and Spike is totally gorgeous, too. :smile:

You remembered them :love:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 pm 

aaahhh, well, Beau and Pascha had a nap in the sun too, and it was the first time Beau allowed me to sit with him while he laid down, spring is so wonderful isn't it ;)

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:35 am 

aaawwwww

The look on O's face when he looks at the camera - wow, that's Freckles favourite face too! I haven't ever seen my horses sleep lying down, only standing up. I can't wait until we are together 24/7.

And your kitty's make me wish I could have a few kitty's again - but my dogs eat kitties so I don't think I should.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Ohh so nice!!! Warm and fuzzy 8) :love:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 pm 

snurk....snurk.... :green:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 am 

wonderful pic
what a nice herd you have. :love:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Barbara wrote:
aaahhh, well, Beau and Pascha had a nap in the sun too, and it was the first time Beau allowed me to sit with him while he laid down, spring is so wonderful isn't it ;)

ha ha ! yes, it is... but where is it now??? :sad:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next