The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Strage use of cordeo...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 am 

Sometimes I use the cordeo when riding my Asia into our beautiful Karst. Usually - I admit - I use it coupled with Bitless Bridle; my reins are simply left flooding and linked to the saddle. Asia responds well to the cordeo, but I'll use cordeo alone when I'll feel myself absolutely confident. 8)

Yesterday I connected a small ring of rope to the cordeo, perhaps 15 cm in lenght, so that I could keep the cordeo with the second finger of my left hand ("the "man della briglia", "the hand of bridle", as ancient Italian XVI Century Masters call it, where the right hand was called "man della bachetta", "the hand of drumstick"), with a very comfortable and natural posture of my left shoulder, arm and hand: exactly, i "discovered" :D the shoulder, arm and hand posture of the engravings below.

So, I "lightened" a lot cordeo aids and Asia seemed to appreciate it.

Did you ever try this?

And - for Miriam - did you see that in many ancient drawings the "man della briglia" and the "man della bacchetta" are reversed (I guess, from the fact that engravings are often "mirroring" the real world)?

Wrong image: reins are kept with right hand (the "man della bachetta")

Right image, mirroring the original print of the old engraving: reind are kept into the left hand, the "man della briglia". Right hand had to be absolutely free for fighting.

Last edited by Alex on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm 

The images aren't there? I would love to see them!

Although I cannot quite picture what you did, to lighten the touch on the cordeo is the correct thing to do in my opinion! It should not make regular contact with the underside of the neck...that is, it should hang a bit away from the underside of the neck so the lightest lift of it can be a cue rather like a half halt. The feel should be the same as if riding with looped reins.

I did experiment with using it as if i was neckreining, but I tended to get too busy with it. SO now I try only to use it as I saw on the Nevzorov principles dvd. In that dvd, Nevzorov says that even he was reprimanded by one of his mentors (the name escapes me at the moment!) for over using the cordeo.

I have seen some people on youtube using the cordeo like tight reins, and keeping constant contact or pressure on it (like using the reins to balance one's self)...then the horse will actually brace the underside of neck against the constant pressure of the cordeo there...which would only serve to hamper what it was intended for...lifting the base of the neck.

So perhaps Alex, you should rename this topic, "Proper Use of the Cordeo". :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:52 pm 

I hadn't my camera yesterday... as usual when it is needed. :evil:

I'll take a picture as soon as possible, if you are interested about. You'll see a strange, self-made, very cheap "cordeo"... :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:56 pm 

Actually I would love to see some strange handmade cheap cordeo.

It sounds very interesting and a nice way of working!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm 

ooooh
I really want to see this Alex. Photos please. :D

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 pm 

Me too!

Brenda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 pm 

OK... thanks for your interest! Well, perhaps I've an old picture of my "cordeo", made with an old piece of discarded rubber tube ...

But for "modified cordeo" kept with second finger of left hand... you've to wait a little!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 pm 

I will wait, but meanwhile, that is about the most creative and clever reuse of material for a cordeo! It is an excellent idea!!!! And such a lovely color too. My favorite shade of blue!!!

I have a huge interest in home-made cordeos...almost as an art form, and and definitely art from the heart!

Nice photo!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 am 

Well... I'm confused... I'd never guess so much appreciation... I simply went at the back of our riding stable searching for "something" (smooth, a little rigid: it is an old gas tube), and I found that. I didn't choose the color.. ;)

Well, if you imagine a 15 cm ring string connected on the top of my "cordeo", and you look at old engraving above, you can imagine (before I'll shot a picture) that this string allows my "cordeo hand", the left one, to stay exactly where the hand of that old Master stays; the advantage, in my opinion, is that you have to move laterally your hand, to give a lateral aid, and to raise your hand, to halt, with a much more evident, visually obvious signal to the horse; and I felt my posture much more relaxed and natural.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:19 am 

I think I am picturing it correctly...I LIKE the idea, very MUCH!

It would also dissuade one from over using the cordeo, so I really like the idea. And I can understand entirely what you mean by having a visual for the horse. :yes: :yes: :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 am 

Oh, what a great idea, Alex!

And I like your lovely blue inner tube cordeo, too...brilliant!

:)

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 am 

There are two colors of horses that I am a complete weakling for. One is blood bay with lighter main and tail...and the other... the dark or steel dapple gray.

Tell you what, you keep the cordeo and give me the horse you are riding. Fair enough? I'll even give you more of the blue tubing in exchange for him or her. ;)

Egads! That is a beautiful horse.

And now I know what to look for as a cordeo when I am ready to begin using one.

Donald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 am 

Donald... I'm sad to say.... The picture is old, I've no more a mare of such color.
Precisely, yes, I own just that mare, my Asia, :yes: but... she's no more of that color... she's going to become clearer and clearer, year after year! :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 am 

Great Cordeo, I've been fooling around with so much material to make one!
So I know where I'm going to this afternoon, get myself some of that wonderful blue (maybe we have other colors in Holland, but aiming for the blue) tube!

I think I understand what your cordeo right now looks like, still surely would love to see pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:53 am 

Ok, KSD; I'm going to tell you a "secret"... to make that cordeo a little more rigid, but malleable, I put inside it a piece of strong iron thread (I hope, the term is correct!). The extremities of the tube are simply connected with adhesive tape.