The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 pm 

Hi everybody
My name is Sara and my boyfriends name is Mike. We have two horses. One 14 (soon 15) year old TB named Charlie and an Icelandic named Vinur. We currently live in the UK, but if everything goes well we're moving to Sweden in June. (I'm from Sweden originally and moved here about a year and a half ago.)
We have quite recently started doing Parelli with our horses and joined here for more information about natural horse training.
I must admit we ride with bits and I don't really know anything about natural dressage, but I am very keen to learn.
I can't ride, or do much else, with Vinur at the moment due to a colic operation a month ago. But I look around the Internet for ideas that are fun and good for him when we can get started again.
The first picture is of Mike and Vinur when he visited me in Sweden. The second one is of me and Charlie.

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 pm 

Welcome Sara (and welcome as well to Mike!).

I hope you find the same joy here that many find...new ideas, new challenges our relationships with horses, and perhaps even a new way to relate to the world!

It's a lovely place where we all seek to find our way with horses. I hope you enjoy it here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm 

Hi Sara,

Welcome. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do. look forward to hearing more about your lovely horses.

Best Wishes,
Kim.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 pm 

Hi Sara, I'm in the UK too, sorry to hear your leaving soon, though I'm sure your not!!

Welcome here, this is a wonderful place where your eyes and mind will be treated to a feast of amazing people all doing wonderfuly amazing things with perfectly happy horses, I hope you enjoy what you find here.

I look forward to hearing how your journey with your horses progresses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Sara!! :)

Wow, moving to Sweden sounds great. I really love the northern countries... especially the landscape in some areas but also the cold. ;)

I am very curious to read more about your journey with your horses and I hope you will enjoy the forum. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm 

Welcome Sara! This is a great forum, I`m sure you will enjoy it a lot!
Where in Sweden are you planning to live?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 am 

Welcome Sara,
I was in Iceland recently and it was lovely to see all the Icelandic horses in the snow :)
Im sure you will find lots to keep you going here, body and soul!
Colette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm 

welcome here...
nice horses and specialy the icelandic :green: i own one too.
You can play some nice quiet games, you can do some clickertraining or ask the horse pick something up for you. So he dont have to move fast or just a few steps in his own speed.
You can find lots of info over here to play nice and easy games.

to Holistichorse, Iceland is beatyfull isn't it?? we have been there for several times. Lovely country, but sweden also, so i understand Sara very well that she wanna go back again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 pm 

Most welcome, Sara

I do hope you'll continue to share pictures of your horses. If I understand your intent correctly, your intent joining here, you are certainly in a great place to explore what you seek.

I came from 20 plus years of professionally training, instructing, horsetrading, etc. and with my own brand of NH developed out of studying others, and especially the horse individually and in herds.

When I came here I was looking for something else, as being proficient at coercing horses to perform as I wished had lost it's motivation for me.

In fact, so unmotivated was I, that I took an almost 40 year sabbatical from all horse activities. I quit.

Now, I'm back. As in Redux.

Donald Redux

If you are curious, you can see both my current and my historic photo and video albums at - (guest password is 'haumea')

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/donald_redux/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 pm 

Thanks for all the nice replies.
I'm happy to hear that someone else owns an Icelandic. I find that they're not that common around where I live at the moment, though in Sweden they're like the third largest breed! :D
We're moving back to Gothenburg, initially to an island about a hour from it (called Orust if anyone wants to know) where we will have our horses with the woman who first introduced me to Icelandics and we can live at my familys summer house.

Sara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:12 pm 

Welcome, Sara! Your horses are lovely and I can't wait to see more pictures. I hope everything goes very well for you in the moving. We are also planning on moving soon, but it's only to another city, not another country. But I have an idea of how much work it can be with horses! I'm sure you'll all do great.

Welcome, again! :D

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm 

Hi Inge,
yes I loved Iceland, what a stunning country and great people. We hope to go back in the summer and do some whale watching :D

Ive never been to Sweden and I didnt realize there were so many Icelandic horses there! Mind you, I didnt realize they came in so many colours either :blush:
Colette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:56 pm 

Sara, there are a few more around here, you can find some really nice pics in the diary of Fauni. The others don't write that much but if you do some rechearch you will find other pics too.
Enjoy the yahoo icelandichorse list you will meat some nice people from sweden over there, nearby were you going to live.

Holistichorse, Wow Whale watching, we have done that also, yes we were playing tourist for about....thinking....8 years ago? maybe some more...
And yes we have seen some minkey whales, not the big ones because it was the wrong time for them. But saw also dolphins playing around the boat. It was really nice and we had a wonderfull day and even burned by the sun.
We know now that the place over there is changed into more, how do you say that tourism, more shops, musea and resaurants.
But still worth it.

We do love the silence over there, you can ride or walk for days without seeing anyone or hear anything.
You can hear the real silence no wind, birds, plains, cars, or wispering from the leaves. (because there were no trees)
and we rode the famous road Sprengisandi. I love the storys...when you visit icelandic you understand why they believe in elves and trolls and so on.
You can find them over there :smile:
And then you understand why an icelandichorse is an icelandichorse.
In all there beauctyfull colours, every collour you think they have it ;)

I have a shetty, so our trip will go to the shetlands also...sometime
We have stand in front of the boat to the shetlands but the weather keeps us at the main land at that time. So we go, but when??? We don't know...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 am 

MSjansson wrote:
We're moving back to Gothenburg, initially to an island about a hour from it (called Orust if anyone wants to know) where we will have our horses with the woman who first introduced me to Icelandics and we can live at my familys summer house.

Sara

The world sure is small sometimes! I live in Gothenburg (Hisings Kärra), "my" horses in Kungälv and my boyfriends parents have a summer house on Orust!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:52 am 

That's really cool Erika! My parents live in Hisings-Backa so it's really close. Where on Orust is your summerhouse? The one we'll be living in over summer is near Henån.

Sara