The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Horses for Life magazine
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:15 am 

It's more and more interesting! Last two months they were giving free parts of Nuno Oliveira's writings, and now - articles from Nevzorov - but how detailed! I haven't seen such informative and deep articles even in the School :shock:
http://horsesforlife.com/HorsesForLIFEAugust2008
I hope that it means change for them - and together with article about Hempfling, the magazine becomes really great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 am 

yeah i have read it, nice...the new magazine not yet..i hope to have some time tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

It's great that the Nevzorovs finally publish their own thoughts again on how to train. It solves at least some of the 'but what would Alexander himself say?'-questions that haunt his followers and lead to endless interpretations of what Alexander would have done according to them. ;)

To be honest, though, I didn't find that much new information in this article on training this exercise? I think that I heard most of it already in the Principles dvd - exept that the horses are taught to flex their neck in the pesade by letting them rear under a tree so that the branches they encounter will teach them to keep their head low. 8) It's interesting to see what methods people come up with if they can't use reins to get the head down, but this one wouldn't be my choice for sure. There also was a mild contradiction in that Nevzorov first states that all the training should take place in a fenced-off, roofed arena and that the training in the park-pictures were just for show - and then states that letting a horse rear into a tree/bush is a central part of teaching a correct pesade?

I'm afraid I sound critical or negative, but if so I think it's his negative/aggressice writing style that really itches me. I've always loved the combination of articles in HFL magazine, with classical dressage riders, nh people and other trainers and exercises, but this episode was a bit glum for me with a lot of cordeo/liberty articles which seemed to follow Nevzorov's philosophy of focusing on the doom of others. And now I am too! :evil: :roll:

I think I just have to get out and play with the ponies. 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 pm 

I have read only the introductions to the articles (not sure if the cordeo article is also by NHE?), so I don't know how much information they actually provide.
The pesade under tree sounds like a joke :shock: :lol:
But after reading those introductions, again I had this impression of a sect - this time even stronger, with making all of this very serious and mysterious, and suggesting that they are only revealing a part of a big and precious secret.
It had a strong influence on me some time ago. Now it looks rather funny. Still, it makes the magazine very interesting. Seems it can present very different people with a nice style, showing their individuality, and still staying quite "objective" as a magazine. I appreciate this :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

No, it's not a joke at all!

You are right, I really should shrug it off and be humored by how they choose to spend their time and energy - but sometimes it still creeps under my skin.. :roll:

But I totally agree with you on that HFL is especially so interesting because of that mix of all kinds of ideas, philosophies and training methods. I just thought this one episode had a bit less of that variation than it usually has, and most articles also were a bit negative or sounding down. And over here it already is such a dull grey day! :(

Luckily Blacky totally seems to disagree with that, because the colder it gets, the more energetic Blacky becomes - up to the point where I think I now have to train Sjors without Blacky in the paddock too, because Blacky just demands all the attention and yesterday pushed Sjors away or scared him off all the time. The problems an enthusiastic pony can cause... :roll: :lol:

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 pm 

I was a little bit surprised about the september's issue of HFL. I didn't subscribe (I already have NHM) so I can't read the whole articles but it was really interesting to me that they included Hempfling and Nevzorov at the same time as well as cordeo work ec.

Well after reading this discussion I'm sure I haven't miss much. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 am 

After reading that I realised how glad I am to be out of that forum.

I don't like the mystical connotations at all, or the wierd equine elitism displayed. You can see why so many ex NHE people come here still feeling dazed and confused, I was one of them!!!! It does make me worry what they do to people in there, all I do know is that in there they are full of shame and guilt, on leaving they get a sense of freeedom and release, it's not good.

Alexander Nevzorov showed me a wonderful way to be with horses, and thats where it ended, sorry if I've said too much here, but that article :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am 

And I fully agree with you Annie!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 am 

HI everybody
I don't know if you know the publication "Horses for Life"

in the new edition there are extremly interesting articles:

Philippe Karl opens up on why he finds himself going it alone with an openess and honesty that we have come to know and admire.

Jean Luc Cornille shares on the true purpose of the neck muscles and their true effect on the back. The Science of Motion contradicting the theory behind many of today's training practices.

This month we also explore the difficult questions that many of you have been asking about since you read Stormy May's last thought provoking article on the horses's back. Read along as Stormy answers one of our readers, and we also explore the question from a different direction based on a quote by Dr. Cook. Thank you for your continuing interaction on this question.

From Carolyn Resnick who shares on the real differences between Leadership and Dominance, an article that all of us need to read to understand how we can be leaders to our horses to Bea Borelle who shares her experiences on the difficulty of trying to find a training program for a rehabbing horse - incredible horsemen and horsewomen who share freely of their experience and their knowledge.

New research on Equine Stretching. Finally research done on horses. Too often we extrapolate findings on humans to our equine partners, sometimes to their detriment. What is the real relationship of stretching to range of motion for the horse? You may be very surprised by the answer.

Our must read article this month is our contributation Torchlight Never Again by Susannah Cord. An article that will touch your heart and your tears, who helps us understand not only ourselves that much better but our horses as well.

We are especially pleased to introduce Christiane Slawik a new regular photo contributor. Our cover this month, comes from Christiane, one of those special photo's that came out of the camera, literally picture perfect. While they say a picture is worth a thousand words, we will sure you will agree that Christiane's photos, take it one step further. Look for many of Christiane's photos in both this issue such as with Philippe Karl and Bea Borelle as well as in future issues.

We are also pleased to share a reprint of Flexions by Jean-Claude Racinet, our free article this month. Many of you may have heard of the difficulties the Racinets have been experiencing. If you would like to help, please check out the contact information to help, at the end of the article.

Here is the Link: http://horsesforlife.com/

Here you can see a previw of the issue: http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Horse ... 009012601/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 pm 

Just wanted to let all of you know who use facebook that the online magazine "Horses for Life" has been on facebook for about a month. I'm hoping to see some good discussions about articles they publish there. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 pm 

hi birgit,

i know it, and have seen it, but i have to less of time to look and read on all those sites. i have even now some time trubbles :yes:
so i have decided to read and write on some of the websites and leave the rest for what it is, just reading and no more.
i follow the courses from Carolyn Resnick and that take a lot of time too, to read al the reactions from people there.
i have so much to do :funny: need more time.....or better management????