The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:09 am 

I'm a freshman college student in Iowa with a part time waitressing job. I live on a small farm which allows me to have one horse, Buddy.

He's a gelding and I got him a year ago when he was 2. Buddy is a Begain Draft; I've always liked the big horses. He's changed alot in the past year we had him broke to ride and drive by the Amish. When we got him back he was a completely different horse. He went from a wild colt to a calm and quite horse.

In the last year he's gotten his personality back :D . I think many of the exercises here will help him as he's geting very bulky and extremely clumsy. :huh: and trips over his own feet no matter what. It drives me nuts :sad: ! I've worked with him alot in the past month on respect and trust and its realy working. He expects a kiss on the nose when I come over :kiss: . I need advise on games I think he would realy enjoy them but he NEVER gets excited. You could stick him next to a roaring combine and he'd try to eat it. He trys to eat every thing.

I've seen him collect once. When he got loose in the yard when we bought him. He looked so beatiful I was amazed. :love: I want to see him with that much spirit and excitement again.

He lives by himself so I try to spend as much time as I can with him. :thumright: I'll try to put up a picture of him soon, once I fugure out how to. Thanks for any replys. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:34 am 

Hi there and welcome!

Buddy sounds like a love...and ooooh, Belgians! Can't wait for you to post pix. :smile:

There are lots of games to try in the Groundwork section, and I would also suggest you look particularly at Brenda's " Lucy's Video Diary" thread -- Lucy is a Spotted Draft who Brenda brought from despair and neglect into an absolutely breathtaking athlete -- she does things with a grace I never thought I'd see from a draft!

What are you studying in school?

Glad you're here!

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Welcome!! :)

If you are looking for games and your horses wants to eat everything anyway, maybe chasing the tiger will be an option for you? In this way you can also show him that movement can really be fun.

I am looking forward to your pictures, too. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:06 am 

Hi

Welcome

Also look forward to some pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:02 pm 

Hello! It is so lovely to have you here!

Belgians are lovely horses -- Buddy sounds beautiful, and like such a wonderful soul. Don't you love those horses who seem like the whole world could collapse around them and they wouldn't blink?

I agree with Leigh -- the poster on here named Brenda has a draft (cross?) whom she has gotten to be AMAZINGLY forward and playful (just look at some of her many great videos). Another thing that seems to help those less-enthusiastic horses is to provide a lot of purpose -- versus just running with them and rewarding for the running, run from barrel to barrel (still rewarding for running) because it gives them a point to focus on.

Yes, I'd love to know what you're studying! I am going to be a college freshman next year and am looking forward to it.

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:41 pm 

Hi and welcome!

We also have draft horses, but much smaller than belgians.
You can have a look at them here:
http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1803
(you have to scroll down a little bit)

Looking forward to see pictures of your horse!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:51 am 

Yeah! More big ones!! Welcome Buddy and ??

And Filux is a draft too!

Man I can't keep up with all the 'new news' these days!!

Lucy is a Spotted Draft, which usually means there is some Paint blood back there somewhere, so she is lighter, longer leg to body, than the pulling drafts, who are often built broad and low to the ground??

Anyway, can't wait to hear more about Buddy, and see pictures too!

Brenda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:09 am 

Sorry I forgot to mention my name its Amber. Thanks for all the advice I realy appriciate it. :cheers: I'll try a few things tommorow and see how they go. I realised i don't have any current pics, but I'll get some up soon. I'm studying Architectural drafting (I'm not sure if its spelled right. I'm terriable at spelling).

Franziska your horses are very pretty.

I have one more question, can I do most exercises here with out a saddle. I have one but it doesn't fit right and its just to hard to find a saddle to fit a draft that isn't very expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm 

Sarge01 wrote:

I have one more question, can I do most exercises here with out a saddle. I have one but it doesn't fit right and its just to hard to find a saddle to fit a draft that isn't very expensive.

Oh yes! Most of the exercises you will probably start with are groundwork, so no saddle necessary there! Actually no tack necessary at all, unless you feel you need it for safety?

The saddle I have for Lucy is a Wintec AP, synthetic, changeable gullet system, the wide version?, but I use the next to the widest gullet cuz when I used the widest it actually tipped the saddle too far forward cuz she has NO withers at all! Anyway, there are tons of these saddles on the used market for cheap $$, tho their longevity is often in question. Re-flocking them is advised periodically. And I find it VERY comfortable!!

I usually use a saddle when I ride my QH, who has prominent withers and a saddle is just more comfortable for both of us I think!!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:03 pm 

Hello, Amber. Welcome here. Sorry to greet you so late but I was busy with a horse-clinic. I used to be a Mechanical Design Draughtsman and I did a fair amount of Architectural. Good luck with your studies!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Amber!!

Welcome :green:

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Happy Birthday, Amber!! :giveflower: Have a nice day with Buddy! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:22 am 

AMBER AND BUDDY! HI!

Funny, I have almost zero interest in drafts for myself, but I am wildly attracted to watching others with them. I think they are very special.

War horses, yet almost universally gentle and kindly. Buddy sounds like a big sweetheart. You are so lucky to have each other. I can read the concern you have for him and how much you care for him.

You've already gotten some good advice on groundwork as a possible way to enliven him. You might also look at his diet. Some foods are cold, and some hot.

That's a lot of bulk to lug about so possibly he needs hotter foods to burn off.

Sort of like athletes can use high calorie intake.

But the groundwork is the real key.

He needs to know that you give him permission to play. His prior training, I would wager, taught him NOT to play. That may take a bit of time to overcome.

I'm waiting for someone to show up with a draft at AND named THUNDERHOOVES.

Silly, but I just can't let go of that name for a Great Horse.

Donald Redux

If you are curious, you can see both my current and my historic photo and video albums at - (guest password is 'haumea')

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/donald_redux/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 pm 

Thanks for all the advice Donald. My nieghbors two girls call Buddy big hoof they think its his name and I find it to funny to tell them otherwise. It may not be THUNDERHOOVES but its geting close to it.

I'll be starting my diary soon. I haven't had the time to write what we've been doing but, his playfulness has improved. I've gotten 3 bucks so far and he now loves to chew on my gloves even when I have them on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:18 am 

hello. i love the heavy breeds too. they are wonderful. i have a clydesdale cross appy. yep!!! she is not the prettiest horse!!! but she is wonderful. she was the best horse for a girl with downs that i tought. :f: :f: thay just loved eachother. heavy horses have a patience that is unmatched! :D

about games. yesterday, my mum and i were playing with out horses, and one of the stock horses has a love for "eating" and "chewing" everything that he sees! so she started to teach him to touch a ball, and get a treat. after a very short time, he was picking it up and tossing it. this was just his first day. it was great fun. here are two videos of it, that you may find helpful. (i know that it is a funny funny video, my mum is a little less co-ordinated than most....hahah :lol: (she is going to love me writing that) and all the goats get in on it, but you can see how much fun it was. and this was just the first day.

i also recoment watching the video posts by brenda. they are lucy and jack mostly, i love them, and it has been a great deal of learning for me.!!! i am pretty sure that she has posted on this thread. so click on her links, you will just love them.

anyway, here are mine. sorry, we are very amature. :blush:

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp16 ... ale221.flv

that first one is just practce in the yard.

http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp16 ... ale222.flv

this one is just funny!! :lol: :lol:

by the way, welcome welcome welcome, it is great to have you here!