The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 pm 

:applause: Great site!!
Well my daughter Simone has just joined here and she is riding a clinic with Josepha on Thursday, so I decided to come and play too...
I learnt to ride bareback when I was 4 years old and rode until I was about 20. My lifelong dream has been to have my own horse as the one I had as a child was simply mine because no one else wanted him.
When I turned 50 about 3 years back, we had just moved to a property with 5 stables and I bought Simone a horse for her birthday - and then began my little episode of rescuing a few old paddock ornaments -
first it was a Tara, a 20yo American Saddler whom I bought to ride, but soon discovered she had back problems due to early training issues, as well as psychological issues, so now she enjoys her retirement. She is an 'angel horse' or 'old spirit' and this is probably her last life on earth, She is extremely giving to both her humans and other horses and tires herself out easily, thus she has monthly crystal and energy healing sessions, but I dont know how much longer she will last - she is tired.
Then along came Irish - a horse advertised on the internet with no name, no age - he looked as though he needed love so I bought him. Found out he was 20, not 12 -15 as I had thought, has been very badly abused in the past and after a month of riding him, with good food, he became unrideable and attacked us if we even tried to lunge him! I named him Irish Cream and we took him right back to the beginning and he has had nearly 2 years of mainly leaisure, with groundwork and some lunging and long-reining. He is now an absolute honey and a friend of mine who is hosting Josepha's clinic here will be trying to see if he may accept being ridden bitless (he was also injured on his back so we are not sure he will allow us to ride him).

Apart from that we have the mare we rescued 3 days before she foaled. Her foal is now 2 years old and has been living out on a farm for 6 months to learn horse-manners and grow up a bit. She will come back when she is 3 for us to start groundwork with her. Simone currently rides her mom, Olga.
Then we have Taba Daja, an 8yo warmblood mare with her 3 week old foal. I bought her for me to hack out on occassionally once baby is weaned and for Simone to ride when Olga, who is about 20, retires.

We also have 3 miniature horses with whom we would like to do carriage driving.

I am very interested in alternative therapies such as crystals, herbs, flower essences etc and combine them in our lives everyday. One thing I am developing is rhythm beads and mane beads for horses which will incorporate crystals appropriate to the horses needs. I am busy with ones for dogs at the moment too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Janet!! :D

So great that you have joined us. Are you going to the clinic with Josepha, too?

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:10 pm 

Hi Janet,
Great you have joined too, now that's what I call a supportive MUM!!!!
Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm 

Hi Janet, and welcome!

Just was reading Simone's introduction and looking at pictures of your herd -- just splendid.

(And very cool to have a mother/daughter team! :smile: Many of us are pretty much on our own as we explore this way of approaching our horses -- I'm envious of your having a team built in!)

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 pm 

Welcome Janet! It is nice to have such an obviously sensitive soul as yourself join us here.

Welcome.

I am very interested to know more about your rhythm/mane beads...for the dogs too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Janet!
We sure get a whole new South African delegation this way! :)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:14 pm 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Karen I will post about the rhythm beads in a day or so - just need to wind down after the clinic and get my mind around it all before it just becomes a wonderful memory - all I can say is what an amazing day, I am so sad I cannot be there tomorrow as well (very green with jealousy).

It is wonderful to share all this with my daughter as we can bounce ideas off of each other and support when needed. We also have the help and support of both our hubby's who do not ride, but love our horses very much as well - so it is really very special to us, especially as we have a smallholding with 2 houses so we live next door to each other and our horses live on our property.
:friends:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 pm 

Janet wrote:
It is wonderful to share all this with my daughter as we can bounce ideas off of each other and support when needed. We also have the help and support of both our hubby's who do not ride, but love our horses very much as well - so it is really very special to us, especially as we have a smallholding with 2 houses so we live next door to each other and our horses live on our property.
:friends:

Sounds like absolute bliss! :cheers:

And heck, you're green??!!! Hah! I scoff at your level of greenness! I am the epitome of greenitude! :alien:
:rofl:

Seriously, I so wish that I had enough of a community locally that I could find a way to get Josepha to come and play with us... I am so thrilled for you all, and so envious at the same time... this is really special. These kinds of gatherings can be life-changing, I think.

All the very best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:02 pm 

Hey, Janet! Glad you joined us ...

I'm too tired to say more now.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Janet!!!

Welcome!! :applause:

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Janet!

wow, so glad you all came here :friends:

It is still amazing to me, that Simone was crying and scared on her wonderful mare - with bit - the last lesson before mine, and was riding with the cordeo only, in trot, throughout the arena with a HUGE smile and a very calm horse! Everytime I think about those two I smile... :cheers:

I think that this clinic has proven that it is indeed all about understanding and communication and not about obedience at all :f:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm 

I cant believe i was actually in tears and shaking before my lesson. Josepha Olga and i owe you a huge debt of gratitude for what you have opened my eyes to. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:34 pm 

Whooo-Hooo! :cheers: :applause: :giveflower: :yeah: for Simone and Olga

and also :bowdown: :applause: :kiss: :queen: :sun: for Josepha.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon