The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: the Parelli patterns
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:08 pm 

my friend bought the parelli patterns this weekend and I went over to her to take a look at it. I thought it was interesting to see that parelli is taking up more dressage things, the start working more on bends and lateral work.
on the ground you do things like:
touch it ( putting feet and noses on things)
figure 8
weave
circles ( enlarging and making them smaller and transitions and so on)
pushing a ball
working with obstacles in a sequence, making use of the former things

riding patterns are:
follow the rail ( end riding circles, hindquarter and frontquarter yields, lateral work...)
figure 8
weave
million transitions
question box ( the box being the place where we stop in between big and small circles and 8's
obstacles
bullseye ( making circles smaller till your in the middle)
corners game (stopping there, turning, backing ...)
sideways box ( going sideways(yielding) from one to another bucket or something)
180's ( haven't seen that yet ;) )
clover leaf ( trotting along the fence and at ABCE you turn over the middle and go right every time you get to the fence again.

so far the first info I have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Going sideways from one marker to another is a great idea! Let's steal that one. :twisted: 8)

What are the patterns exactly? Is it a book, or a dvd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm 

it's 4 different packs, on line, liberty, freestyle and finesse. Each pack consists of
a dvd showing what you should be able to do going from level 1 to 4
a booklet with the patterns in a row
a poster where you can tick off what patterns you already did ( they want you to do them 4 to 7 times in a row so he knows what to do and then vary between things)
and a book with beautiful pictures but not much else :)

I tried the figure 8 today on line around two barrels on the ground and it was fun, it is a combination of sideways and circles and changing bends, and we did it at a walk and a trot with transitions. I can now try getting better once he knows the pattern by heart and try it at canter and maybe teach him lead changes this way ( on my 45 foot rope or at liberty) and some times in between he likes jumping it to show of.

the books also say that for a left brain introvert horse ( a confident horse but sometimes going unconfident and not very going horse, that using treats to motivate is the best thing to do :)

horses that are left brain extravert, the horse that is confident and likes to show of and run you just play alot

and right brain horses I did not read yet, I don't have one ;)

so after a great 8 I click and treat and Beau loves these new exercises!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm 

It looks like the Parelli's may catch up to us one day! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am 

thanks to Linda, when I sometimes watch savvy club dvd's of her ( I have a very good friend who lends me everything!!!) you can see her cuddling and not pushing her horse at all. She is really good for Pat and his program I think.

Another thing they started doing is long lines, when you are good at working with one rope they advice you to train a lot with long reins.

I am really starting to like their way of working again, thanks to Linda's influence ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:51 am 

Hey guys, I havn't stopped in for awhile!

I watched the patterns and realized the beauty of it is not in any specific pattern, or the steps to go from a level 1 pattern to a level4 pattern, but just hte fact that the idea of patterns is ingrained into your head from watching the DVDs. EVERYONE should see these DVDs.

You don't need to study them- just watch casually and the next day when you go out to play with your horse it will be miraculously fresh and fun- no joke. Not only was that my experience, but numerous other people that I know personally and many more online did the same thing. Instead of just going sideways or backwards, you find yourself going sideways or backwards to somthing. Soon your horse starts looking for a 'finish line.'

Somehow it seeps into your subconcious to set up and easy pattern and when your horse 'gets it' make it harder or combine it with other patterns. The beauty is when you start a pattern and your horse says, "Do you want me to do a figure-8? I know how!" The horses get so engaged.

Shortly before the release of the Patterns I heard another instructor say to build a "chain" and once you horse masters it, abandon it, and teach another. For example... 1 Cirle your horse over cavalletti for three circles, 2 back him between the rail of the cavalletti, 3 then send him onto a tarp, 4 ask for a bow, 5 canter over a small jump, 6 stop at the cone, 7 spanish walk to the bridge, 8 stand on bridge. You could first bow your horse on the tarp, reward, relax. Then back him between the cavalletti, bow on tarp, reward, relax. After maybe three reps of that spanish walk to the bridge and stand on it. Two reps then jump the jump before spanish walking to the bridge. After a few reps practice steps 1-4. By the end of the session you link it all together needing very little direction since your horse remembers the pattern. The next day do a totally new pattern 9(Once you've given your horse a way to earn a cookie by repeating yesterday's pattern :D ). Or you can work on a harder pattern over two to four days. (longer than that wouldn't be fun any more).

The chain is a great way to combine great feels- like let loose stretchy type exercises, and energetic powerful exercises. Going from one to another in a chain can help get the energy and power with the let loose relaxation at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:23 am 

I train similarly to this all the time. We flow from one thing to the next. We work on one thing only a few reps, then on to the next thing. Either riding or playing on the ground. The horses love the flow of things. Drilling one thing over and over, or circling endlessly in the arena is mind numbing for the horse. So on the ground, we go through everything in different sequences, depending on what the horse feels is fun that day. In riding, especially with Cisco, he loves to flow around the arena, shoulder in to half pass to circle to canter to pirouette, to whatever crosses our minds. Some days we play with props (boxes, balls, tarps, pedestals, somedays we just paly with movement.

They really do enjoy the more playful flow of rapid transitions...not just from one gait to another, but from one movement to another. I got the idea watching a Nuno Oliviera video on youtube.

Never a dull moment!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:19 am 

Yes - I really thinkit is time for me to let my anti-parelli-and -all-that-is-horsemanship go away.... 8) :lol:

Thank you guys!!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 am 

I have a really silly question. Is anyone willing to borrow me those DVD-s? I really do not know how to arrange it, but I can't order those DVD-s, cause they do not deliver them to Estonia, I do not know why :cry: But those DVD-s seem to be so useful.

Can someone help me, please.

Anneli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Isn't it great to have eye-openers like that? :D

You don't even have to agree with a training method in order to get an eye-opener about your own training session, so I think it's great that the Parellis teach their students to open up more and be more creative in their training sessions - you can never be too creative!

Of course, everybody gets their eye-openers somewhere else - and also gets different eye-openers. ;) For me playing like that really is an essential part of our AND training - always new combinations, no endless repetitions, and always trying to set exercises up in such a way that they make sense to the horse. When I first started teaching Blacky the levade, I asked him to rear off from the plateau, because that way it was very clear to him that although he needed to collect himself to rear, he didn't have to rear really high - which is the basic idea behind the levade. The same about the travers: most horses find it difficult to find the right bend of the neck at liberty at first, but when you ask them to walk over a plank with their frontlegs towards you - they have the right posture right from the go.

Training at liberty is all about making sense for the horse, and teaching him things in such a way that they don't just make sense, but also become a lot of fun to do.

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:03 am 

Kirsti wrote:
Yes - I really thinkit is time for me to let my anti-parelli-and -all-that-is-horsemanship go away.... 8) :lol:

Thank you guys!!! :D :D

I've always admired Pat Parelli and felt there was much more to him than his showmanship. I think he does not take himself as seriously as others might think he does.

And he can be, despite using horse language to dominate, wonderfully patient and gentle with horses.

He seems to love bridleless work a great deal.

The fun he was having, and the horse too, in that old vid of him in Australia galloping around a big pasture, no saddle, no bridle, was quite obvious.

I think horses greatly appreciate a sense of humor, and he certainly has that.

I am currently exploring the idea that horse's can love some kinds of circle work for their own reasons, and that pirouettes, whether at the canter in dressage, or the reining spin is akin to the fun kids have spinning about and getting a different view of the world, and getting 'high' with dizziness.

They don't want to do it all the time, but it's fun now and then.

Anyone else see that in any horse you've worked with?

Dakota did, quite early on, a little reining horse spin with me when I asked it, and he seemed delighted by it. Of course, that's Dakota. Always looking for new ways to play.

Donald R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:03 pm 

i have never met Parreli in real, never saw his clinics or trainingsessions.
i saw only his followers reading his book and did what written was in the book, letter by letter i think?

(for several years i think 3)
I have aksed a mom of my formal stallmate if i may read the first chapter so i could understand what she was doing.
I had read it and thougth...how can you do this without any referencis. Just read and do...??
Her daughter was/is a traditonal rider and not intested in anything else. Her mom was very hesistate about horses but wanted to learn more about them by doing Parelli. She let her mom go in her own thing. She could not help her.

In mine opinion that doesn't work. I saw a lady, same stable, who is a realy parelli follower. She have a nice horse (a quarter) a real lady and was pretty happy i think at those times.
But she started to train her a la parelli...by the book... So i saw her working many times.
I could not see it..i look away :cry: ..it hurts..i did not like Parelli at all.
During those months of training i saw her horse get more and more act as a robot. My aversion to Parelli was growing.
Her farrier was a Parelli follower too and he liked what she show sometimes...
i got during those times more and more anti parelli.
Saw on internet some games and results i don't like either..so...no Parelli for me..

The mom whom i spoke to, had quit with the training, it had not helped her at all. Because she did not know what to do. Maybe because the horse a fjord did not react as was written in the book??

During the same periode my horse broke serveral times out of the paddock and he were put back to his stable each time. So i had decided to search for a new place which was better for him.

So i have no notice what is going on now, how the horses are these days.
Saw a few pics from one of them by a Parelli event token by some people who were there. Thats all.

So i have never bought his books or saw a DVD from him. Now i read this and heard from some other people who have his books and DVD but do also more than only Parelli, just bought it for interest.
They say that the books are changing, it is better written and more open for other things.
More freedom for the horse and some more dressage things.
So maybe it is now become some more in my direction??
and it is maybe...maybeeee, time to buy something form him.
Only it is toooo far tooo expensive for now.
I am good but not mad :lol:

i like to hear that here are people to who see something else and more or different then before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:24 pm 

Yes, I thaught like you Inge!!

Well, I'm out of money now, but I figured whenever I get more money again I might buy something from him... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:31 pm 

It's nice that they keep coming up whit stuff. I actually thought their ideas where kind of over. I think it is a good idea to watch them, so you can put some new things in the training. Thanks Barbara
You seem to be the one who is first to know about these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

The ideas for an AND book/dvdclub are moved to a seperate topic in the Research forum.

That's the fate of all great ideas! 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage