Post subject: WIKIPEDIA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Admin

I've put a short description at Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_dressage

Post subject: AND Wikipedia project
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 am 

AND Wikipedia Project

The goal of the AND Wikipedia Project will be to add information to existing pages on wikipedia on horsetraining, natural horsemanship and dressage, and to create new ones. As the latter is harder, we will first focus on editing existing pages that are in need of our vision. :)

Every AND forum member can start topics in the subfora where they belong in order to edit a wikipedia page:

* Place a [Wiki] tag in the title of the topic and then the name of the Wiki page. For example: [Wiki] Piaffe
* In your opening message of the topic place both a link to the Wikipedia page, and a copy of the current text on that page (if it's not tooo long)
* Every member of our forum then can react, edit parts of that message, place suggestions and add information untill we're satisfied with it
* When we're (temporarily ;) ) satisfied, Alex (or somebody else with a Wiki-membership will upload our final version to Wikipedia.

A few words of advice:

* Remember that a contribution into the Wikipedia related topics will be released under a liberal copyright (GNU FDL) just as original Wikipedia article

* Try to focus on specific-topic pages first. Tackling the current 'Dressage' page, which is now a big explanation of FEI dressage rules, will be very hard because everything that's outside the FEI rules will be regarded as off-topic in that page. So instead of 'Dressage', try to find a page on a smaller subject, like 'piaffe', or 'trailer loading' where there is no censorship on the philosphy behind the method.

* Try to give a balanced opinion. If we stick to 'Piaffe', it won't do to write that teaching piaffe at liberty is the only way, or that using sidereins is horse torture. Instead point out several ways of doing piaffe and give both their pro's and con's. Because AND has it's con's too: it's probably slower then when you decorate your horse with tack, and you teach your horse that he can say No sometimes too which means that you can't always 'perform'. Of course the advantages outweighs all that, but it's good to point out that every method has it's downsides - it makes it more real and also more trustworthy for people who don't know AND.

* What can be added to almost every Wiki-page without problems, is a 'Piaffe nowadays', 'Classical dressage nowadays' section: a paragraph in which you point out how the subject is trained/viewed now: next to a bitted competition style, there's also bitted back to the classical masters style, bitless style and a bridleless style of training going on. Don't just write that bridleless is the future, but point out that there are a lot of different views available nowadays, and amongst them AND!

I guess, all from you have a "Open Source" mind; i.e., you allow free quoting of any content of this forum, obviously with a mention of source & author, best with an explicit link to the original topic/post.

Can you confirm this? Can I quote freely into other forums any content, and translate too into Italian when needed, or there're some rule/some limitation/some implicit copyright covering your contributions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:39 pm 

:shock: Another wikipedian! :shock:
I looked for another wikipedians into a dozen of horse-related forums, I never found one!

I'm alex_brollo into en.wiki, it.wiki and commons... ok, I'm much more engaged into forums and website by now, but it is great that you too are a wiki author! :D

At: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_horses

you'll find this picture:

Well, the rider is my wife, and the mare is our Ami!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Well.... I'm not so good on Wiki after all... they've deleted it? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:32 pm 

Bianca wrote:
Well.... I'm not so good on Wiki after all... they've deleted it? :?

Did you post your contribution as a registered or as a unregistered user? Wiki is a strange environment and a very special community. As they say, it's not a forum or a blog! Wiki articles are just like living beings, they live and change and evolve... Nevertheless, the history of updates is recorded, and you can see it into History folder of any article. Don't be discouraged if your contribution has been deleted... tell me its content, and I'll help you to put it into wikipedia!

My first contribution to wikipedia is the Barefoot horse article, but I didn't write it; in his first version, it has been written by Marjorie Smith after a my suggestion. Then the article has been changes so many times... no matter, barefoot horse movement had been mentioned, and it raised many contributions here and there. :D

It's almost impossible for a enthusiast to write an article oe even a single paragraph with the needed NPOV (Neutral Point of View).. NPOV is alwais the result of a long list of updates, by different users, with different points of view. Often the final result is amazingly good.

Can I encourage you to post many pictures of AND-related topics into http://commons.wikimedia.org? This is a polite trick to introduce a new topic into wikipedia! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you!!

I did it as an unregistered user I think :?:

This is the text:

There is a new form of Classical Dressage; The Art of Natural Dressage (AND). This upholds all the noble causes of the Classical Dressage Art and The Old Masters but without force, bits, spurs and even without bridle for a more advanced level.

We have no really good photo's at the moment I think... anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

well, I am working on it... we should have Danielle shoot pictures of you during groundplay with Evita, rearing etc.
Pictures of Blacky and Sjors (where is Miriam?!) in levade and passage...

And for Owen and I you will have to wait... but I feel free to say that he is doing well and I have hope of starting with him soo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Okay! Only have to wait for mummy to be Evita to be back in shape ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Some things can be lost in translation or can be put out of context or learning stage. I think it is best to put links to topics. Everyone can read all without becoming a member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

I meant Imperia... duh! :roll:

I need some sugar... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

yes indeed, topic quotes are not allowed.
We must protect not only ourselfs but also everbody here of course.

I hope you understand :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Haha, Imperia is now glued to me when I'm around.. I gave her some treats :oops:
So no rearing or action :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 pm 

OK, I see the problem.

Wiki is a really difficult environment - for its "Open source" philosopy, so different from usual knowledge sharing philosopy; for the need of deeply understanding of what exactly means that wiki is a "tertiary source"; for the NPOV trouble (a major one for enthusiasts as we are), for lots of editing rules and a specific, complex formatting code..

In brief: if any of you is really intersted to spent some (better, many) hours reading, thinking and studying wiki ideology, contents, styles and rules... here I am to help you.

But first of all a question: are you deeply convinced that it deserves such a hard work? Have you a sufficient motivation?

AND is too new and too deeply innovative to be mentioned or quoted into wiki. Perhaps it could be mentioned into an article about the history and present use of cordeo as a tack. Perhaps could be listed into an article covering "Modern dressage" as opposted to "Classic dressage", but many other forms of "Modern dressage" should be listed, because anything vaguely seeming a try of self-promotion is deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:05 pm 

I agree with Alex. I like clickertraining as an most "open source" method, and so scientific at the same time.
One example of difficulty with neutral definition is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevzorov
in my opinion ;) look at the history of this entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Admin

what was the history of this entrance?
( I am so new at this ;) )