The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bitless driving
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Very interesting stuff! Bitless driving with a team of two horses. It's great to see that others are experimenting with this too. Now only see the blinkers gone too, and it's a perfect picture!

http://www.paardnatuurlijk.nl/cgi-bin/s ... i?num=3200

http://www.paardnatuurlijk.nl/cgi-bin/s ... i?num=3201

http://www.paardnatuurlijk.nl/cgi-bin/s ... i?num=3202

http://www.paardnatuurlijk.nl/cgi-bin/s ... i?num=3203

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 am 

Bitless driving is no more remarkable than bitless riding, but I quite agree that the really important factor is getting rid of the blinkers........ the crupper..... the shoes...... the whip.......the groom, and what have you got, good working class horsemanship using voice, hand signals and training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:14 am 

This looks like too much fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Admin

When we started driving Blacky about 9 years ago, we started the first times with a regular bridle, because our carriage bridle was coming later because it had to be made smaller. When we put that on the first time, with blinkers and everything, Blacky turned into a kind of zombie, slouching in front of the sulky because he couldn't see a thing and was just bored to death with it all. So the first thing we did that night was cut off the blinkers of our brandnew driving bridle, and from then on Blacky was all interested in driving again. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 am 

The few tmes I drew Gabriella I drove with a halter...

But she seemed to not like the tack or the wagon, I am not quite sure.. I sold it anyway, because of that...

But the wagons at these pictures, are they possible to get in Norway?? And to what price if they are?

Looks soooo fun!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:01 pm 

I am planning a couple of european tours demonstrating the saddlechariot, and my training methods. I can put a green pony in a saddlechariot, fully harnessed and have it driving forwards in a couple of hours, without pressure and in total safety.
Obviously well handled and well trained animals will be quicker. I intend to travel by train as I can easily carry a horsedrawn vehicle to fit any animal from 70cm to 1.7metres and all harness needed to fit any animal in my luggage on the train. I have flown to the USA with a saddlechariot and harness to fit 70cm to 1.5m and paid no excess baggage charge.
Anyone interested in arranging a demo contact me at
[url]simon@naturaldriving.co.uk[/url].
I will try to put together a blog giving dates so people can add comments and suggestions, hopefully polite. Or if it is OK with Admin, put up suggestions n here or on a separate post.
Simon

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:10 pm 

How great!!

I have no idea if I am able to set up something for you - I don't even know how you do.... :shock:

But I will be there when you are in Europe if i get the chance..

Where do you live?? I have no idea where it is... :oops: (I am very bad in geography)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 pm 

Sorry Kirsti, not only am I English so I don't bother to learn any other language, I don't even bother to say which Country I come from. Cumbria is top left side of England, nearly at the Scottish border. I have people to see around Antwerp and towards Munchen in Germany I have a delivery to make.
But I also have a customer in Amsterdam I want to see, just to bring her vehicle up to the latest specification. However I realise that showing people is the best way to demonstrate the saddlechariot, and also to teach people how easy it is to use and to train ponies in.
I also have a few contacts hope to see in Denmark, Sweden and Norway who I am emailing at the moment.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 pm 

Oh... Then you are not TOO far away then.... :lol: (I was kind of wondering what country Cumbria was - I had never heard of it... 8) :lol: ).

You must tell if you come anywhee then - I am really interested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 pm 

a nice place in great brittan..and yes i do not say england :D ...
My husband were a few days ago overthere..his father wanted to take pics of some special train 8)
So he was going with him..i was there in 2005..to see the Hadrians wall and surrounding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 pm 

Ooh up and down (or is it in and out?)the fjords in a saddlechariot,should be fun! :D
Blue hates blinkers!If she can't see whats round her she's far more likely to react to it.Goats hate being driven in blinkers too they panick or refuse to move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 pm 

My little one needed blinkers. I have tryed once without them. But then he is very spooky.
He can do very quick moves to the left or right when he see something on the ground or ..??...and that is not so funny when i am riding in town.
I can not control that...When i use the blinkers it is over...but my blinkers are very wide. He can see pretty normal :)

He does it too when i am walking with him so i know it but then it is not dangerous :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm 

Inge, is this when you are riding that he wears blinkers? I find if they shy when driving, the pony goes 2 metres to the side, I just turn through 45 degrees pivoting round the centre. I will try and take some video of Henry being scared and shying with me on the saddlechariot and put it up.
Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm 

Hey Inge, come back and see Hadrian's Wall properly driving a chariot along it. When I get my broken computer back I will put up the pictures of my trip.
Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 pm 

"I will try and take some video of Henry being scared and shying with me on the saddlechariot and put it up."
Is that before you open up a large red pop up tent behind him or after Simon? :D