The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:49 am 

It is how you say Miriam: in competetion they only think about prices. And it is so easy to be caught up in that.

When I still did jumping, on ocasion I did some NH with my horse, just some groundwork and that was in the very beginning.

After a while, when we got better at jumping that dissapeared and we completely got focused on jumping (with some guidance and pushing from everyone :wink: ) and I went jumping every week, had training every monday (so you can imaging: at sunday a jumping and monday training, she didn't had time to rest). It is just... You get so dragged into it. You can say I will just go for fun (and actually you should) but the competing part is there and it is in your mind. So it thrives you and more then you want it yourself.

Couldn't we get some 'competetion' (this is the wrong word) out of AND. Just to show people what you got, and in the mean time you have a meeting with other people. And you get reactions on what you did and it is not the result that counts but what you learned from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Tlove wrote:
It is how you say Miriam: in competetion they only think about prices. And it is so easy to be caught up in that.

Is that the way it is? For everyone?

I am truly no friend of competition or showing off my horse, because I know that I would not treat him exactly the way I would do without the pressure from the competition - I wouldn´t force or torture him, but probably suggest a little bit louder, listen a bit less carefully... this wouldn´t do them that much harm, but I never want my boys to make the experience that I am not quite myself when others are around. I know this feeling too well when our mother showed us off as children when there were her friends around. Not in a mean way, but in those moments she felt like a stranger to me. As if she wasn´t herself. And I am sure that a horse also notices this change in a person´s behaviour.

BUT: only because I could not deal with such a situation, how would I know that no one else can? And how can I assume that the competitor´s goals are all the same? Take Danny. As I understood him, he attends those competition in order to show people that there are other ways. Or a friend of mine who told me that she went there to get the evaluation of the judges - because they were so highly skilled in observing horses and riders and she felt that they could really help her to see where she had to do more work in the training of her horse.

Maybe those people are the minority. But they are there and I just believe that there is a variety of motives instead of just one, just as there is in every other aspect of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:05 pm 

Donald Redux wrote:
This would include doing things as companions. Endurance riding seems to offer a wonderful opportunity to do just that.
Donald

i think you are right Donald...i have been watching for a few times during an Endurance riding event in our woods.
I think if you wanted to reach the finish you have to listen to your horse, otherwise the vet will do it for you. :wink:
During this kind of riding you have to be a good team with your horse. You are going through (for a horse) a natural surrounding, you do not have to force your horse to jump or make nice movements. He just have to go forwards, the rider have to watch over the horses speed, counting his bread and heartbeat so they can finish in a good condition.
When the horse is tired you can stop and take off and walk next to your horse. You do not disqualify for it. It is normal to do it and exepted by everyone.
They understand you and respect you when you do that.
If the horse is ready again, you can go ride again.

They have made some good rules like the ages of horses during a level.
I think when you want to compete yourself this is one of the best events to do it in harmony with your horse. Or TREC events..those are a bit the same.

And you can do it bitless :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm 

Yes indeed!
I love to go and do walks with my horse. Just to feel the bound, just be together, no one else around... I love that feeling. I can keep hugging her then.
But I rather actually keep doing walks instead of competition... But the saddest thing is that I actually allways walk alone, that doesn't bother me that much, but it would be great if you can walk with 2 people or something. And I just thought if you go to a competition you find people who are interested in the same.

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:54 pm 

Tlove wrote:
But I rather actually keep doing walks instead of competition... But the saddest thing is that I actually allways walk alone, that doesn't bother me that much, but it would be great if you can walk with 2 people or something.

why is it sad? i always walks/ride/play alone..
i feel happy about it, you can do what you wanted or your horse wanted. Is he afraid of something you can get off and learn your horse that it is nothing what will eat him :wink: No one is waiting for you or have some (not)usefull tips what to do at that moment. You can take time for everything.
I am totaly feel free on my horse when we riding in the woods. No one else to care about just me and me horse :D
When we come back home i am full of new energie and go work again to earn some money (for the horses) :) hahahaha

But if you go to a TREC event, you will meet new people maybe they think the same as you and you can do it together.
I know a lady who did a TREC event for the first time, she did not know what to do and how it works. She meets a nice lady and she wanted to help her.
So they have made the event together.
The lady wasn't there for winning, just for fun, to do something with her horse and meet other people.

So give it a try when you wanted to go for a event.
Or just take a look without your horse and see what happens during such a event. Then you will know if it something for you or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Tlove wrote:
It is how you say Miriam: in competetion they only think about prices.

But I didn't say that. :wink:

What I said was that there are a lot of people who get grabbed by the feeling of competition and forget that they're working with a living animal. But there are also people who aren't that susceptible to that and occasionally go to competition just for the fun and for meeting other people.

It's like Romy wrote: I myself wouldn't be able to do competition without getting very competitive, but that doesn't mean that nobody can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:21 pm 

@ Tlove: You really have to move closer, then you can spend your free time in an NH oriented stable all day and go for rides out with me :) now isn't that a great offering :D :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:45 pm 

Hi

Yes I sure have to do. A girl whe had her horse out my stable has moved to Antwerpen. I was like: you are so right, I am so jealous.
I think when time passes, I will move to Antwerpen, it is something I have been thinking a lot and that I'll do, but when is the question because of the money and so. But often I look at some websites for houses etc.

@ Inge: you are right. That was me negative again I guess :wink: . Because now I remember when I went for a walk a some years ago with another person I felt pretty bad. you couldn't galop when you want, you had to adapt your speed to the other horse (my horse got completely stressed out, because the other horse was so slow) and the other horse was easily freakted out (my horse isn't normally) and off course after a while she really started being more carefull and shy of everything.
Thanks for the great reminder.

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm 

no problem :D
it is good to write it up here, and hear some others about things..and then you mosty realise that you are not that bad at all :wink:
and that you are happy with your horse, even with all the ups and downs you have. Haven't we all :?

Post subject: Re: AND and Eventing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm 

Hi All,
I hardly ever write, as I prefer to read what others think and tend to keep to myself.
I was asked to tell a bit of what I do with my mare, so here I am probably putting a 'bullseye" on my head for many to target me with lytany.

I do compete with my mare, mainly in show-jumping and with exception to one show, only in "practice shows" ( informal competitions).

This does not mean that I do it to show her off, or for gain of any kind.
I do not hurt her in any way, nor do I caue her to get exhausted ( we never ride more than 2 courses in any event, and that is much less than what we ride normally).

Next question, why am I forcing her to do it? I am not. from years of having her and riding her, she has a competitive nature and does all she can to excel, when we ride in the bush and forests, if given the choice she jumps every thing she sees rather than go around it, and whenwe gallop she can keep up with any TB that I have met, without my legs having to touch her)

Oh yes, I forgot, we ride with a cordeo ( here we call them neck-strings)
There are a few of us in South Africa that ride like that, but the numbers are growing through exposure. I personally know 4 people who "took the plunge"and ditched the bits after seing me and Nikita and talking to me, and today a couple of them are busy "converting" many others.

Moreover, earlier this year I was the first person to be permitted to ride in a national event ( by the SA National Equine Federation). I entered a national level showjumping event, and it let a LOT of people see that a horse does not necessarily need to be ridden with bits for the rider to be in control.
This was a major milestone, to get teh federation to acknowledge that horses can indeed be ridden without a bit. now it looks as if they will also allow us to join Dressage competitions.

As I said earlier, I do not do this for gain other than the great feeling of achieving things WITH my mare ( as a team).

If anyone wants to share opinions, you are most welcome and I will respond.

On the other hand, if it is a sermon that you intend to send me, rather save yorself the effort because I will not be drawn into any unplesant exchanges ( this is why I left the NAZAROV forum, I could not stand the tirades people wehre being subjected to)

If anyone of you ever comes to Cape Town, please send me a pvt message and I'll give you a number to contact me.

Regards,
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Danny,

don´t worry, nobody is posting sermons and negative or dismissive replies in this forum and I am sure you will see this as you look into the forum a bit more. Having another opinion does not result in attacking each other over here. ;)

Great that you are helping people to get in touch with another way of handling horses. I liked the cordeo jumping pictures that you mailed me a lot. Nikita looks so energetic - what a beauty she is! :smile:

Are you allowed to participate in those competitions with only a neck rope or do you only use it in your training and ride the competitions with something at her head?

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm 

Hi Romy,
Thanks.
Indeed Nikita is very energetic.
on the 10th of December the cast comes off my leg, and I hope to be riding again by late December. this time of the year it gets very hot, so we prefer to take them to the beach ( 15 Min drive) whenever possible.

Being accepted in competitions with the neck string took some work.
I started off by attending shows in yard where I stable and others that are adjecent to it. so most people already knew me and had seen me ride like that. at the beginning I was asked to keep her with a halter until we are in the arena, but after a short time everyone relaxed and this was no longer necessary.

As for my normal riding, I ride only with the neck string (cordeo), and before I got injured in the accident we were working on some pretty nice Dressage m oves ( leg yields, turn on forelegs, turns on quarters and so on)
We also ride like that inour=t rides beach rides etc.

Cheers,
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Dannyl wrote:
This was a major milestone, to get teh federation to acknowledge that horses can indeed be ridden without a bit. now it looks as if they will also allow us to join Dressage competitions.

As I said earlier, I do not do this for gain other than the great feeling of achieving things WITH my mare ( as a team).

:applause: I find this really great!!

I think whether competing or not has to do with various circumstances. Next year I think I'll attend the Spanish horse show with Imperia and yes, in fact to show her off :D. But I know she likes the attention and fuss around it and because I love the history and traditions within the Spanish bloodlines. Also the event is about showing the natural beauty of the breed, not their ability to compete in sports.
I also thought several times to bring Evita to show her 'training capabilities" at other places. Not only does she love when people praise her but also I would like people to see the possibilities. Like Danny is also showing people what can be done (and how much fun it is) :green: .

But I must say, I bought a van which is very comfortable for horses... Me myself, I have really trailer fright... even more than my horses ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:02 pm 

Hi Bianca,
Trailer problems?
I have to tell you a bit of Nikita's history.
4 years ago, after not riding for 20 + years, my son asked me to take him riding, so I took him a a nearby yard that ran a riding-school. 3 weks later, I went out for a ride with one of their horses ( you guessed it, Nikita).
At that stage she was a rather difficult horse, resulting mainly ( as I found out later) from the way in which these people treat their horses, particularly the school horses.

I never rode any other horse htere, and after 6 rides the owner of the stables asked me if I want to buy her, I replied yes before she finished asking.

Getting her to go into a horse-box (trailer) was a daunting task, that is when I learned that her original name had been "lady smudge" ( she has a star on her face that look rather like a smudge of white) but after the owner of the stables hit her once toomany times in an attempt to get her inthe trailer, she gave that lady the once in a lifetime opportunity to see what reconstruvtice surgery to a shattered elbow feels like ( Atta Girl!)
She was then nicknamed NIKITA, after the murderer lady in the movie " La Femme Nikita" and the name stuck.

So there I was, owner of my first ever horse, who sees a trailer and looks for a target to kick.

I did a lot of reading, a bit of experimenting, and ended up with a method of working with horses who do not want to go into trailers for vaious reasons. Does it work? I think so, since I worked with her she became so relaxed when getting in the trailer, that for the last 3 years, all I have to do is lead her in front of the trailer's door, release her, she then gets in and I close the door behind her.

I have since helped a few ( about 10) people with trailer-difficult horses, the problems were sorted out. and for a year I used to transport race-horses for one racing stable, never had a horse that did not get in, without using force not tranquilizers ( I am strongly against that). If you want, I can give you some tips on how to work with your horse to get him to be more relaxed about boxing and travelling. This is no magic formula and I have no guarantees, but so far it has worked well and there is no harm in trying. and BTW, I never charge a cent, I help others because I can, not for profit.
Cheers,
Danny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Danny thanks for your story but me myself just don't like trailers. My horses do not particularly like them either because they rather keep their feet on the ground ;) but will go on them without a problem nevertheless :).
I just like to see and be in contact with my horses when we are traveling. And when I experienced standing in a riding trailer myself and experienced the difference standing in the back of my horse-van (in which there is an opening from driver to horse), I really must say I would not choose to transport my horse in a trailer.
But in some occasions traveling with a trailer is safer, for instance when my Unico went by trailer with Evita to his new 'herd of bachelors'. But I get so nervous (I always choose to ride with my car behind the trailer to keep an eye on them and make sure no-one will drive into them) I loose years of my life... just thinking "my life" is standing in that trailer... just a piece of wood with wheels and I can't see how they are feeling.... aaahhhhrrgggg :sweat: