The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 am 

Hello everyone,

Another newbie here :P. I've been reading your discussions for a while now and just now came up with a question that I haven't noticed yet.

Since I don't have any experience riding with Bitless Bridle, I rode only with a halter or a string around a neck, I'm wondering if there is a difference in dressage riding from riding with bit and with a BB?

More accurately, riding circles - riding with outside rein. How does BB work on a horse's head if you ride just with the outside rein in contact (bending the horse with inside leg), and inside rein is loose to see if a horse is really on the outside rein. As I know, BB works on the opposite side of the head, so in this case it generates pressure on the inner side of the head and the horse moves away from it. How does that work then if you don't want your horse to lean to the pressure?

Does the rider than ride with the inner rein? :?

Nusa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

nope, it stays exactly the same as with the bit.

Inside leg, outside rein :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:25 pm 

If you read through the other topics on BB (in the tack section?) note that sometimes there is a period of adapting to the feel of the BB? For some horses it's easy, for others, you would want to do it slowly with lots of praise or rewards. Cisco learned to understand the BB quicker on the ground, working in hand. It was easier for me to reward immediately, etc. First time I rode him with the BB he didn't like it. Now he's fie with it. I'm pretty sure his initial annoyance was simply that it felt different and I wasn't really giving him a chance to figure it out. On the ground through, it all went better and then riding was fine too.

The pressure is light if the hands are light, and really, if you have been riding with contact on the outside rein with a rope halter (both reins connected under the horse's chin), the pressure or location of the pressure is really not much different. It's almost the same as a BB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:31 pm 

Love your avatar by the way!!!!