The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm 

I have found that for very good reasons most of you use and recommend a cordeo for groundwork. I know that some of you stick to groundwork and do not ride their horses regularly or at all. But to those of you who step on from groundwork to riding I have a question: I would really appreciate to benefit from your experiences in bridling up the horse when it comes to riding. Do you stick to the cordeo for riding? If not, why not and what sort of bridle did you use? May be I just didn't look carefully enough but I couldn't find a topic about my question. If there is already one please give me the link and delete this.
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Shagya, welcome! :f:

It's a bit hard to find, but we have a whole subsection on riding with the cordeo.

Personally, I don't ride often, but when I do, I always do so with the cordeo (in fact, my horses haven't had anything on their heads since 2007). But then actually "riding with the cordeo" does not quite capture it for me either, because I ride with my breath, weight, body tension, and so on. The cordeo doesn't really have a function for us, other than being an emergency brake. Therefore, I don't think that if I was searching for suggestions about riding I'd specifically search for anything about the cordeo, because for me the relevant information is in the threads about riding in general, on how to use your body for that. I don't see that much of a difference, because the use of your body is about the same regardless of what kind of headstall the horse is wearing. :smile:

If you have any questions, just ask, perhaps I can direct you to the topics where these questions have been discussed when the forum was still active. I used to be the forum's memory and remember where everything was written, but after not having used this skill for several years now, I am not sure how much of it is left. ;)