The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Jigging
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:41 pm 

Does anyone know any exercises under saddle to incorporate clickertraining? I want to practice so I can use when trailriding with groups, my horse gets super excited and jigs.

Post subject: Re: Jigging
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:00 pm 

Well I am no expert but I suppose you could clicker train for a command , like turning his head to your knee ( using targeting not force )to get his attention back to you , so that when he jigs you give the command to get his attention back to you
sorry I haven't explained myself well , but I am sure you will have much better answers :smile:
good luck

Ali&Mrc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I do the same thing that I do from the ground, establishing a micro-communication in which I am asking for something every few seconds and reward for every reaction to me. For example, I ask the horse to stop, then reward, ask him to walk on for a few steps, stop again and reward, trot for a few steps, stop and reward, ask him to change direction, move sideways, backwards, and so on. In that way the horse is attending to me and also learns that stopping is just the best thing ever, because that's the state in which the rewards come. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 pm 

I agree with Romy - you can do almost everything in saddle that you can do from the ground. Just be prepared for abrupt stops when your horse hears the marker signal :green:.
The best thing to get your horse's focus is surely practising micro-communication. If you want to focus on calming down, you can reward specifically for any calming reaction. Release of the poll when you ask for a bend, or dropping the head. I have a voice signal for lowering the head which is helpful to put the horse in a calm state by itself.
I also love to ask for any exercise we are currently working on (except rearing ;)). It is usually the most highly reinforced exercise at the moment, so chances are good that it brings the focus back to me in a positive way.

The horse owes us nothing.