The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Extended trot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm 

I was taught this years ago at school and just seem to remember it felt great.Early days yet but can someone work me through it?I seem to remember something vaguely about shortening the reins and asking for more energy but it was over 40yrs ago so that might be wrong.
Also,Malaga's ordainary trot is so smooth I wonder if he is gaited,would it conflict with this if I asked for an extended trot?Only ask because gaited seems to be a whole new ball game ;)

Post subject: Re: Extended trot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:07 am 

What you write is the most common way to ask for a special gate. For an icelandic horse it is called tolt. For each gaited horse they have a different name for the same footprints, and they look a bit different because the size of the horse and the size of the legs.
Most icelandics have short legs and a tennesee walking horse have long legs, so it look completly different.
And the speed is faster or slower. An icelandic is the king in the gaits.

an example from a bitless ridden icelandic in the snow. I thought it is a good example because we have lots and lots snow over here.
I know this lady so she would not mind if i place her video over here ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlywYT4QtI

When you shortening the reins watch out the horse is still using his hindlegs in the correct way, otherwise the back become hollow and that is not what you are looking for. It is quite difficult to explain this on paper.
It is a way of feeling how to aks for a special gait such as the tolt in a friendly maner. ;)