The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Question: Bits
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm 

Hello everyone, im pretty new to everything but what i have seen here and done with my horse so far has been amazing. There is only one thing that troubles me. I frequently show and go to numerous clinics and trail rides with my horse. The AQHA rules state i must have a bit and a horse 5 yrs and up must wear a curb with a shank. Is it possible that my horse remains happy and we follow the training bitless at home with only a few sessions with a bit. and what i mean by that is can my horse, after working for a while on cues and bitless riding, just "wear" the bit without me actually using my hands all that much if none at all. I realize it would take some work and time to get my horse to that level, but i really want to ride at liberty and follow this training all the way through, but i can't just go bitless outside the home.

Post subject: Re: Question: Bits
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm 

Mmm... some of that your horse is going to have to answer for you, what he/she is comfortable with.

But you asked if it was possible to ride in a bit only for the show and not use it - but use your other forms of communication (legs, voice, weight etc). I say that is absolutely possible. :yes: As you noted, it does take alot of work, alot of building a relationship between you and the horse, but it can be done. :)

Obviously we're all hoping someday to change the rules of the various show associations so that bits are no longer "required". It has happened from what I understand in some areas already. :D It's the relationship that makes things safe and happy for horse and rider, not the tack, obviously. ;)

If you are interested in really learning I suggest you start a diary for you and your horse so you can start learning how we play and train with our horses here (everyone is a bit different, but the same goal). 8) That way you can start reading others experiences and questions and you may find your own answers to this question...

Post subject: Re: Question: Bits
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm 

Thank you, im glad you are supporting me. I hate to use the bit but...oh well. I just put up a short diary entry, its short but they will get longer as we progress. I have also enjoyed the entries, pictures, and videos of everyone's happy healthy horses havng fun with their owners. :)