The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:23 am 

Recently I have been playing around with the cordeo and have found that when i lift the cordeo up lightly my boy 'Lorenzo' flexes at the poll and offers the most beautiful head set.. I know its only a head set but i think its so cool that he is doing this for me. I'm not really sure how i started to teach it but it just happened. However when i'm on the ground he struggles to understand it, either that or maybe i'm confusing him.. Id love him to be able to offer the flexion at the poll at the walk.. but i'm unsure how to teach it?? . I have been doing bridle-less riding for quite a few years now via the Parelli method, his direction changes & transitions are quite good and he does listen quite well to my seat and body energy, although id love to get to the stage where my body language is very subtle. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 pm 

You can look at this topic that discusses preparation for the cordeo. It's important if you're going to use the cordeo for riding.

Preparation For the Cordeo

And this topic on Ramener

Ramener and ramener into movement

Here's a topic on vertical flexion that is very important because it discusses what you need to be aware of at the back end of the horse as well:

Advice please on vertical flexion

Here is a really nice little video on clicker training for flexion. You can easily do this on the cordeo instead of a halter, but eventually, you should do it with a line as well.

Clicker Training teaching flexion

Your slow lateral work on the ground is the best way to get your horse set up for collection and in some of the exercises like shoulder in, you will see that your horse will probably offer to bring the head to a vertical position (with a little lateral flexion). All your training in ramener should not be isolated...it should at least be balanced with the lateral work that you'll find in the ground work stickies. Do both, reward both. :yes: In this way you are training the whole horse in a healthy way and not just a head set. If your training has to be imbalanced, then concentrate on the back end of the horse more than the front. Always!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 am 

Thank you :smile: