The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Talking to a friend she mentioned going riding outside and taking another horse with her on a rope and thinking about Romy and her going out with Titum and Summy, I thought today.. well why not traing Evita under saddle but train Imperia at the same time? I'm not brave enough to go even riding with one horse outside but there is always the riding area :yes:

I wanted to go riding with Evita and Imperia wanted attention too and because she has crashed the poles between the riding area and the area around the stable it's a fuss to get her to go into the fields and close the fence without her following me into the riding area again... because she wants the attention and training I plan to do with Evita. So I thought to give it a try and ride Evita and try to train Imperia at the same time, so I did :D

And It went very well for the first time, Evita was soooo amazingly sweet :applause: Like she did her upmost best to show she was the educated one 8) and Imperia was trotting and walking alongside and eventually got the picture she couldn't cut off the way we were going. And she was rearing and bucking at a moment and Evita just ignored her and kept doing her best! My amazing wonderful girl!!! :inlove: And Imperia was happy she could join and was also trying to behave :D

So I guess this is the way to go and it will be also easier this way to learn Imperia to carry a rider next year, just let someone else ride Evita and ride Imperia myself alongside to let her get used to the weight and eventually learn her to lead the way. And also the training of 2 horses together is very time efficient ofcourse ;)
On the ground they fight to get my attention so I can train Imperia with Evita behaving well amongst us but vise versa is not possible yet. And this way it is, and what I would love eventually... riding Evita in the spanish walk and having Imperia doing the spanish walk next to us at the same time, wouldn't that be amazing? :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 pm 

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Paul does this with his two stallions...it doesn't always work as planned, but when it does...wow...it is so cool!

You should do some video!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:11 am 
Site Admin

:funny: Well... maybe a video in the future but my lack of good riding skills combined with Evita who walks solely on her front legs... hmmm takes a bit more training ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Admin

That is excellent Bianca!

I have tried that with O and Jamie, but both attack the other as soon as I am on top of one of them...
:huh:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:10 pm 

i have ridden for many years like that. In the icelandic horse world it is quite normal to ride with two horses or more.
Because of his history.....
In early years the icelandic people had only horses to go from one place to an other or by boat.
But a boat can not go in to the main land. So they uses the icelandic horses. The distance is very long out there. Not so close as in our country.
To save the horses they took more then one horse with them and change during the trip from horses.
You need a saddle which fit many horses ofcourse, but in early days it was not a big issue as now. And the saddles were more variable.

They use (if they are take more then one horse with them) a band around the belly with some clips on it where the next horse can be fixed. So the rider keeps one horse at one side , sometimes fixed at the saddle and sometimes in hand. And the next is fixed to the horse which he is leading. They can take about four horses at each side.
You can see also some who take on each side a horse or more. The rider is in the middle. But you have to be a good rider ;-)

This way is more easy for the rider, so he does not have to searche for his horses during the ride. Cause the horses can't go away.
If they ride with more then one person the horses are going along in a free way.
I have a nice photoalbum from a icelandic lady who had taken some pics (a lot) during their trip to the highlands, were the horses are going to stay during this summer before they go back to the farm again.
You can see both ways of leading horses if you take a look along all those pics.
The heard is mixed with older horses and fillys.

http://storholl.%20123.is/album/%20default.aspx?%20aid=153734

Sometimes they passed highways, and the cars will wait until they are of the road before they passed them. I have met several of them during our holidays over there. It was beautyfull to see.

So yes it is a very good way of training your horse. Now a days people use this also for training their horses. They get used to traffic and all kind of other things. The horse who is being ridden is a great example for them and follow most of the time in an easy way.
It is a great idea to ride like this. Claire does ride like this also, see her diary.

You have to keep one thing in mind. Dont let pass the lead horse your knees. if you keep the horse behind your knees it is more easy to control the horse in situations which needs more control ;-)
And if you are lucky your riding horse will help you :-) i had one who did and make it more easy to ride for me also.
everythime my lead horse wanted to go faster, he moved his head to the lead horse, just in a quick second not even loose speed.
and the lead horse goes more slowly. He did it most of the time before i even could give a reaction.

When he didn't do it, he let me guide also :green: i had to use my leg only and the lead horse stay behind.
quite handy when you have to cross a road.
i have done it for a few thimes with my shetty, but he is too little to keep good controle like this.
And he have also an awfull desire to be the first and goes faster and faster, which is quite difficult to control, because he is so little when i sit on my horse 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:58 pm 

Your url has some gaps in it

try this

http://storholl.123.is/album/default.aspx?aid=153734

THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:10 pm 

thanks for the repair :-)
nice pics hah?