The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 pm 

hi,
I just decided to make a film about how I learned to fall of a horse. I hope it is helpfull and if things are missing, just tell me.

have fun!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:48 am 

Hey Barbara, That's great!! Now... how to practice it?... because any new skill needs lots of practice to perfect.. :green: :green: :green:

:f: Actually, I think it is possible to practice this, without getting hurt.. The trick is to employ our imagination. Set up a video tape in our brains.. play it over and over.. we're riding, we're galloping, an explosion happens to the right, our horse shies left, we fly, and with the benefit of slow motion, tuck ourselves into the little ball that Barbara demonstrated, and hit the ground rolling off our right shoulder. Perfect! We leap up, unhurt, brush of the dust, and our horse whinnies and trots back to us to snuffle our chest.

:f: Play the tape over and over, editing and perfecting, adding in the details.. then change the setting, change the plot and do it again. We're galloping bareback on the beach, heck! Why not throw in bridleless! It can't hurt!.. Our horse is exhilirated but nervous.. a wave crashes around his feet, he does a sudden skid stop, and we fly over his head, tucking ourselves into that ball, and hit the soft sand rolling, over onto our feet and up, laughing! We're sitting on our horse with the reins draped on his neck.. chatting with some friends, as our horse dozes.. the wind bangs the barn door shut and the horse leaps sideways in the air.. we depart sideways in the other direction... and then .. and then...

:f: This way we can do both wise things at once.. We can practice the art of falling off, just in case.... While also doing everything possible to protect ourselves from actually ever falling off. :D Mental practice like this can, I believe, hugely increase the chances of getting it right and being unhurt if the worst ever does happen..

:f: I also suspect that many of us do the opposite.. imagine the fall and then either shut down our imagination in fear. "Oh NO! Let's not go there!" or imagine ourselves not mastering the situation.

Cheers,
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:06 am 

hi there

i just loved your video. this is how i fall as well. (when i can) rolling takes out the bounce. good thing about falling off, is that i have found it happens in slow motion. :ieks: the amount of times that i have been falling, and the ground seems to slow right down! ;) it is a weird sensation.

also, i have found that it does not actually hurt straight away. but it is more of a numb sensation. yet for some reason i always felt like crying ;) really, it is not that bad to fall off most of the time. my last fall hurt, i compressed several disks in my back. that was about four months ago, but you know, several befor that have not been bad at all.

i think the more we think of the "good falls" and talk about them, the easier it is to face our fears. :love: :love: :love:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:13 am 

Thank you everyone for contributing, thanks for the video and the wonderful explanation of practicing in our heads. The two together can help a lot. :clap: :clap: :clap: :f: