The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm 

I have a question about the different cues to use for whether you want the horse to do jambette, spanish walk, or back crunch. I know it all starts from a leg lift, but what cues do you give from there to do the different exercises? I would like to start the back crunch, but continue working on the fully extended leg in jambette. However, I am afraid that if I start the back crunch with touching the legs (after they have lifted and not fully extended) and then the ground in order to get steps toward the crunch, then Lacie will get confused and think that when I ask for a leg lift that I want her to go into a back crunch. What should be the difference between my cues for a jambette, spanish walk, and a back crunch?
I don't think I explained this very well, but hopefully you will understand what I am asking. The answer is probably very simple, but I would like to do it correctly from the start, rather than confuse her later.

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I understand what you want to ask anyway. 8)

With Blacky, our cue for jambette is touching his breast with the tip of the whip or pointing at the upper half of the frontleg.
A regular leg-lift (like when the farrier wants to see his hoof) is a tip with the whip (or finger pointing) at the back of his cannon bone (back side of the lower half of the leg).
A tiny step forwards for the back crunch is a tip with the whip against the front of the front hoof. Also there are a lot of voice-cues for the various movement, which I forget on a regular basis. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 pm 

For me too voice cues make things a lot more clear.

Our cue for jambette is the same as the cue for Spanish walk only with Spanish walk I stand in front of Amiro and walk backwards so he can walk forwards. With the jambette I stay next to him. With voice cue 'pas' which means in English 'step'.

With the back crunch I take his feet and place it a bit further away from hsis body. I do not pull but only hold my hand at the back of his leg, if he does not like it he can pull his leg up and he knows that. But I "guide" his leg to the place I want it. The voice cue is 'naar voren' ('place your leg in front of you') to move the leg and 'blijf' ('stay') to ask him to stay in that position when I ask another leg to move.

Last edited by Amiro on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:38 pm 

Thank you Miriam & Amiro. :D
I was confused, and thought that a leg lift was the same as a jambette. Now it is a lot clearer to me, and I think I will try the cue of tapping the hoof to take a step forward into the back crunch.

Brittany

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 am 

I don't have all these movements down, but I do a lot of moves that are similar and I know horses read our torso a LOT!!!

Many people have little cues they don't even know about, like maybe leaning a little forward for a back crunch or a stretch forwards versus keeping your shoulders back and staying centered, or grounded, with your body for collecting exercises.

Even when I ask my horse for a canter on the ground I bring my inside hip forwards- even if I am othrewise still. My horse realizes there is a difference between a gait change and energy change.

What I am taking way too long to get at is that your intention will be very different for different exercises and your horse will know the difference even if you conciously don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm 

And it's darn fascinating too. I realized this with both Cisco and Tam. For Cisco, he kept falling in on his circles in-hand. It was pointed out to me that I was dropping my inside shoulder, and so was Cisco. So I lifted my inside shoulder up, and so did Cisco....TOO COOL.

Tam reads body language very exquisitely...he sees very subtle differences and reacts to them...and for a long time, I wasn't aware of them myself.