The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Have had this in my head for some weeks and don't know where or how I came across this but there was a really good comment about training (could also be in a non horse article, really don't know haha) and learning, not setting your 'pupil' up to fail. Have been observing how I go about this and (pfff.. luckily) i'll warn my horses if they are about to do something they shouldn't. Like I have the rule they can not cross me when I walk with them (safety rule) and when they tend to do so I just say 'pay attention'. So I have 'warning words' ('wait' and 'attention') which is very kind but very clear to them. Do you 'guys' have that too?
Also when you learn and 'unlearn' things I think it's really important you make the training in that way (small steps, right place and time) that the horses can only/mostly succeed. My horses are really grumpy when I do something with them in the morning, so bye bye calm wonderful sunrise beach walks. I can go and 'fight' with them the whole way or just ski p it and take this as something that's just that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 am 

I guess I do. Mei in particular has a tendency to walk up in front of me, which at times can get not only annoying but also impractical. I usually raise my hand and say "wait" or "hang on".
The Lad has a tendency to sporadically bite (extremely frustrating), and I can often tell when he's about to do it. When he seems about to do it, I make him aware that he preferably shouldn't by waving a finger or my whole hand at him alog with a calm "noooo, Lad", or similar. I still haven't figured out how to phase his biting out altogether, but at least this makes him think twice before doing it. He probably does it out of frustration or impatience, which I try to listen to.

Setting your horse up not to fail is really important - imo it's always better to get positive experiences rather than face problematic ones, especially if it is something within your control. I don't want to make it harder or more challenging for my horse than it needs to be. :)